Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

How much did you guys pay for your MCSA tests?

My local test center is charging $350 a test.

I forget the current rate, but in the US it should be $125 or maybe $150. You should not be giving money to anyone other than prometric for MS cert exams, and it sounds like these folks want you to pay them directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

madmaan posted:

80 per for people with an edu email address and school id. 160 per for everyone else.

I just looked, and from here it looks like $83 for edu and $150 otherwise.

Tab8715, go here to register and pay for your exam, don't give money to anyone else.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is anyone planning to schedule a Microsoft exam before the 31st? I have a 15% off voucher that I have no chance of being able to use, so my loss is your gain! Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the code. The exam must be taken on or before 31-Dec.

e: wrong date

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

madmaan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...s=microsoft+680 Was the author of the edition i used I believe. The 3rd party books generally a little easier to read and focus more on you passing the test than going over the pure coursework.

I used this one also with good results. I remember doing one of the exercises in the MS press book and couldn't get it to work like they said it should. So I looked up the errata online, and the entire exercise was stricken. I pretty much lost my confidence I the text at that point and switched to the sybex one. I did use the companion cd from the microsoft one for the practice tests though, which I thought were good.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Quick question. Looking into getting my MCSA. Is it worth it to do 2008 and then take the upgrade test to get 2012 as well, or should I go straight to 2012?

Have you taken any of the exams already? If not, then I think it would be best to jump straight into 2012. If you're already part way there and think you can finish before they retire the 2008 certs (31-Jun-13 iirc), then go ahead and finish it up and upgrade to 2012 later.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for VCP practice exams? Somewhere non-shady and not a braindump, of course. I don't mind paying if it's good content.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ukrainius maximus posted:

Really I'm just pissed that I wasted a good amount of money on that shot. When I go to re-take the exam, will it be the same exact test or will some things be different?

Definitely will not be identical (i.e. same questions), though the format will be the same. Don't feel dumb about it, just be better prepared next time. In future though, look into using a second shot voucher. It's a promo code you use when registering for the exam, and if you fail you get to try again free. They're mutually exclusive of the X% off ones though, so you have to pick one or the other. Check on ebay.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
That said, I feel pretty bad for anyone up against a deadline right now with anything through Pearson VUE. They did some system updates earlier this week and pretty much their entire system has been tits up ever since.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hackedaccount posted:

Bahhhh! I was gonna schedule a test tomorrow. Are they completely down or is just their web site down or what's the issue?

Allegedly you can schedule by phone, but I've heard mixed reports over whether they're able to do it or not either. I'm not in any particular rush, so personally I'm waiting until they get their poo poo sorted out.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

So PearsonVue lets you create a password that's longer than their login page will actually allow you to enter.

Out of curiosity, how long were you trying? I was having issues changing my password there myself today.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

Like 20 minutes. Then I realized the dumbness of their development team and shortened my password by one character so it'd work.

Whole lotta sketchy testing centers around me. Might be willing to drive a bit to find a community college or something with a Saturday timeslot.

Your password was... 20 minutes long? I know what you mean about sketch testing centers though. At one time the closest Pearson VUE center was in a bad area on the other side of town, and quite literally next door to a medical marijuana dispensary. Prometric on the other hand has a location at the community college that's all of a quarter mile from my house. At some point they started doing Pearson stuff also though, so fortunately I won't have to worry about whether my truck's getting broken into or not while I take my exam on Friday.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

Work is requiring me to take CISSP, is there a ton of overlap with Security+?

Guys at work are telling me CISSP is harder, but I'm wondering if getting both would be worth it/easy once I got CISSP.

Going for Sec+ after getting a CISSP would be like going for a GED after getting your doctorate.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DGK2000 posted:

Unless you want Government work, I suppose. A lot of them require an S+.

I'm relatively sure that cissp satisfies the same federal requirement.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Corvettefisher posted:

VMware is pretty good with practice exams so long as you utilize the mylearn site. Generally I will buy a book that has a cd with a mock exam

I kind of disagree with you here I think. Their question pool for VCP is really small, and their explanations for answers leave a lot to be desired. I really wish Lowe's book had a companion CD, it's really my only complaint about it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pudgygiant posted:

Look I told you I'm leaving soon, you don't have to rub it in

We are none of us perfect, but at least you've got a sense of humor.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

:/ That's just server. All the links to 7 in the comments are dead. I'll be talking to Microsoft tomorrow. Their general support just said that Win 7 isn't there anymore because it's been replaced by 8 (haha where?) and to talk to technet support, which is only open weekdays.

EDIT: If you check the technet forums the official answer is to buy a technet sub. Yes, $350 to study for a loving entry level test.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...ll=1#post470600

Get Ultimate, it's identical to Enterprise aside from the licensing scheme.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the current upgrade situation for Microsoft certs? I have a 2003 MCSA, and the only upgrade information I can find is for upgrading to the MCITP, which is being retired in about two months. I don't know that I'll be able to get enough prep time in to pass 648 and 646 before then, so am I out of luck? Or will those tests get me the new 2008 MCSA after that date instead? I see the 646 exam is part of that track and neither exam is being retired, just the cert itself. Why did they have to do all this stupid rebranding poo poo? :bang:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

penga86 posted:

The MCITP will become MCSA 2008 on July 31st, 2013. The 640, 642 and 646 tests will continue to be offered after that date, only the certification's name is changing.

Thanks for this. This is true for new certs, but for reasons only known to them you will not be able to upgrade from 2003 to 2008 after July 31st, even if you take the 648 upgrade test before it's retired. Since I have basically 0 chance of prepping myself for 646 and 648 in only two months, I guess that means I have to start over if I want to keep up with MS certs. Not sure if I want to go down that road or not, to be perfectly honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ozu posted:

Mastering VMware vSphere 6 will be released on April 6 and is available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Nick-Marshall/dp/1118925157/ref=zg_bsnr_3740_1

I wonder why Scott Lowe's not involved with this version. Hope the new one will be as good. Speaking of new exams, has anyone taken the VCP6-Cloud exam? I did the recommended training last week, but there doesn't seem to be any additional material out there for the new exam version.