Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

When I did my CCDA last year (Feb 2012), you could mark and review at the end, but not go back once you've submitted an answer without "marking" it.

Weird. The CCNA is one question at a time, no going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've finally got a fire lit under my rear end to finish the CCNP before I deploy. Maybe while I'm over there I'll work on something weird like CCNP: SP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CCDP is the same way, I believe. Although at least with that you only need to take two additional exams (DA and then Arch).

I'm not sure why they have a separate SP Operations track, since you'd think all of that poo poo would be covered in the normal SP cert.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hackedaccount posted:

A question for EVERYONE who has done their CCENT or ICND1: What percentage of the material is general networking and what percentage is Cisco-specific?

80% networking, 20% Cisco. And of that 20%, a lot of it's pretty basic IOS stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

forever gold posted:

Is a CCNA without experience worthless?

No, so long as you're not a dumbass and have social skills. Just don't expect to fall into anything other than a senior desktop/Jr. Netadmin position.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just buy an old 2600 off eBay, pull the IOS image off, and run it in GNS3. For switching, buy one or two 2950s and set them up with your machine (GNS3 will let you use your NIC to connect to a physical network and add it into the simulation).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He should write some CCNP books while he's at it.

So I'm trying to do one ROUTE lab per night. Some of the later ones get pretty damned in depth; I'm guessing they got a bit beyond the exam, which is good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a great way to put it. I've used GNS3 for about 10 hours, and I'd say I've gained 9 hours of GNS3 experience, 1 hour of Cisco. I'm sure this gets better as you go on but it doesn't make me eager to revisit it since I feel like I'm working on irrelevant knowledge.

Really? Every time I load it up on machine I just install it, test Dynamips, load the images, and build my topology.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trotski posted:

Passed ICND1 tonight. Wanted to thank everyone for the resources and input in this thread, it has been beyond valuable.

I used the INE CCNA vids, Lammle book and Cisco learning labs as my study materials.

Any opinions on which exam to take next: ICND2 or CCNA:security? Since they changed the reqs, I'm thinking of just taking the CCNAS next, but will I be creating a gap in my knowledge by doing so?

Finish the CCNA now before the new, harder version rolls out. CCNA: Security will be pretty easy to get afterward.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pretend to care posted:

I should really go after this CCNA stuff. Pretty much all of the Infosec Security Engineer (as opposed to analyst) positions I see require both experience with basic networks (easy) and a certification.

Are the books and stuff in the OP still considered crucial? I saw some talk of this earlier (but didn't pay attention, sorry) but what is required to set up my own lab and what's the approximate cost?

You'll want a book just to steer you in the right direction, even if you're already deep into networking. You can set up a lab for under $100 if you don't have access to spare equipment at work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pretend to care posted:

Cool. Should I start with a book and go cover-to-cover before ever starting up a lab?

I don't know what your level of exposure is to IOS and the likes, but you'll probably want to read the book through chapter 8 (where routing starts) and then set up your lab because he has labs for each chapter and topic that you can follow along with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

Packet Tracer is great but doesn't get much of a mention on here. Always wondered why.

Unless things have changed, you had to be enrolled in a Cisco Networking Academy course in order to get it. GNS3, on the other hand, is free.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You have to take and pass all 3 within a year? I thought it was 3?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

Looking more into this and it doesn't appear you have to complete the CCNP within a year by my understanding, just have to pass one of the required exams each year. Passing a professional level exam extends your timeline by a year from that date. I.E. Pass SWITCH - Jan 1,2013, by Jan 1, 2014, you have pass ROUTE or TSHOOT, which gives you until Jan 1, 2015, etc. Effectively giving you 3 years to complete the CCNP.

Can you apply for extensions due to, say, being overseas? Or is Cisco a douche when it comes to that?

e: According to this forum post you have 3 years from the time you pass the first to pass the other two.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 25, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For review, I just read the wikipedia article on OSPF. It manages to do in several pages what Odom takes 4 or 5 chapters to do in the press book.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I was going to schedule ROUTE two nights ago, but it was down so I wound up drinking instead.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So PearsonVue lets you create a password that's longer than their login page will actually allow you to enter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Out of curiosity, how long were you trying? I was having issues changing my password there myself today.

Like 20 minutes. Then I realized the dumbness of their development team and shortened my password by one character so it'd work.

Whole lotta sketchy testing centers around me. Might be willing to drive a bit to find a community college or something with a Saturday timeslot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Your password was... 20 minutes long? I know what you mean about sketch testing centers though. At one time the closest Pearson VUE center was in a bad area on the other side of town, and quite literally next door to a medical marijuana dispensary. Prometric on the other hand has a location at the community college that's all of a quarter mile from my house. At some point they started doing Pearson stuff also though, so fortunately I won't have to worry about whether my truck's getting broken into or not while I take my exam on Friday.

Oh, haha, I thought you meant how long I was trying to get it to work. I was trying one that was 17 characters. The max they'll accept is 16, apparently.

hackedaccount posted:

What's your concern about some of them? I've done lots of test and more of a few of them I took at whatever hole in the wall was closest and never had any problems.

The only time I had a problem was when they signed me up for a test in Japanese but that was the person at Prometric who I talked to on the phone and not a problem with the test center itself.

Well, I went to the website of the one that that was closest and had the most Saturday appointments available and it said their account had been suspended.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Scheduled ROUTE for June 1st. Been working on this poo poo for like 10 months, so it's time to finally get it out of the way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I'm relatively sure that cissp satisfies the same federal requirement.

It does. Sec+ is pretty much the bare minimum you can get away with. As your position changes, the requirements get harder.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone taken ITIL Foundations/Intermediate?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

Look I get the argument, that brain dumping enables people to get jobs they aren't qualified for, but I've been doing the job for a while already

If that's your prerogative then so be it, but please keep braindump chat out of this thread. Thanks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't care if you dump the test or not, I could give a poo poo about your life. People who don't know things are always exposed in an interview.

Here's an interview which has never happened:

Me: I see here you have your CCNP, can you tell me the subnet mask of a /24 network?
CCNP: 255.255.255.0.
Me: That satisfies all of my networking questions, I'd like to discuss our generous benefits package with you.

Yo but if you ever decide to lower your standards I know a guy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

Apply for the position I'm leaving. Good luck!

What's that pay, anyway? For what they're expecting, anything less than 250 is laughable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

On 3 separate occasions, I have taken a Cisco exam (CCNA through CCNP/DP), while using Boson, INE, etc to practice test, and come across the *exact* same question, down to IP, AS, etc. I turned over all the relevant information to Cisco to never hear a word back.

On a separate but related note, how are the Boson practice exams? I got the free one with my official ROUTE study guide and am wondering if it's worth it to shell out the extra cash.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

If you could knock out something like Security+ you could open a few doors with government contracting job....given you can obtain and hold at least a Secret clearance.

It's pretty much impossible to not get a secret clearance unless you've dated multiple foreign nationals or can't hold off smoking weed for more than a week.

Also abandon hope all ye who enter government contracting. The large ludicrous stacks of money are merely a siren song.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Getting your foot in the door is about three things:

1) Luck
2) Preparation
3) Knowing people

Certs will help you with number 2. Number 1 is beyond your control (aside from maybe putting yourself in a position to be lucky); 3 is the one thing you can control.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mugaaz posted:

#3 is really bullshit and just as much cheating as dumping is. Everything people talking about with 'Knowing people' is just ways for them to get jobs over more qualified candidates.

Yes. That's how life works, deal with it.

e: To put this in perspective: who would you rather hire, someone who you know has the experience and qualifications you're looking for, and whose personality you know will work well with your team and your organization, or someone who you don't know who has slightly better qualifications and experience?

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 16, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

routenull0 posted:

But the only real ways to get 'fired' as a civil service employee are like gross misconduct and insubordination. There are ways to 'force' a civil service person out of a job like making them their position no longer needed at that facility and moving to Guam. Their options are to transfer to Guam, quit/retire(if eligible), or apply for other civilian jobs where they would get first-come first-serve treatment for being on MDR(manager directed relocation) or similar.

Which is why our utterly useless "Senior" Network Engineer is still around. Contractors do 90% of the actual work at my job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mugaaz posted:

Doesn't mean it's not completely unfair advantage, and not really any different than cheating on certs.

Pretty bad comparison. One is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent your knowledge and skills, while the other is leveraging the fact that people already know your skills and personality and believe you to be a good fit. That's not cheating, that's not unfair, that's life. All of your technical skills and expertise are useless if you can't effectively communicate with your coworkers, represent your team in meetings, and develop relationships with vendors and clients. And while being the most qualified person doesn't preclude you from having these skills, any manager is going to be more comfortable hiring someone who they already know and trust because it saves time, effort, and potential future problems.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

Please let me know if answering these would violate whatever NDA they put people under and I'll retract the question.

-packet & frame formats: is it sufficient for me to have a functional knowledge of these, or do I need to know the bit length and sequence of every field in every encapsulation format that Cisco has spelled out for me? I mean I assume I should know what protocols use what multicast addresses and about the fields specific to the PDU's purpose, but I'm hoping the rest is trivia they don't test.

-Is it important to know IOS commands verbatim? There's nothing in the curriculum I couldn't sit down and do at a router or switch, and could interpret any command written out in front of me, but I've grown pretty used to tab and '?' completion and I've heard it doesn't always function in the simulators.

-Frequently the course text enumerates things, like "There are 4 aspects to network design: w,x,y, and z.". Is it enough that I grasp what's behind these statements, or should I be prepared to regurgitate stuff like that?

I think all of your questions can be answered by looking at the test objectives and syllabus. As to your second one, they may have some syntax related multiple choice questions, but most of it comes down to simulators.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Having some sysadmin experience isn't a bad thing even in a networking position, since you may be in charge of your own monitoring server, setting up VMs for virtual appliances, and working with DNS/DHCP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of companies will clear you for a secret and then put you to work on a different project while your TS/SCI is being processed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of community colleges milk their students for 2-3 courses' worth of money for a CCNA, so doing it in one course is admirable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had to support XenApp at my last job for some employees we acquired from a sister company. It was kind of a pain in the rear end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Probably some stupid HIPAA thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Odom has made studying for ROUTE 10 times more painful than it should have been. But if I pass it this Saturday I'll be done with him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I'm taking ROUTE on Saturday. Any major areas I should focus on for last minute studying? I know there's a ton of sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jelmylicious posted:

Go here, and review all the defaults and how they differ per protocol: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/
The sims you can do when you know how everything is supposed to work. Questions about default AD, you either know or you don't.

Thanks. The practice exam I took last night had a metric fuckton of IPv6 on it too, holy poo poo.