Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ashheap Empire posted:

So let's say hypothetically, there was a guy who worked in manufacturing for like 15+ years. Maybe he was a CNC operator a few months ago and he decided he hated it, and he hated being underpaid, and he knew he was pretty smart and hated not ever having a job where that was needed or appreciated. So he decided he was meant to be a computer toucher. He quit his job and started studying all day every day to prove his worth and get certified. He got ready for the A+ but decided it was basic and he didn't want to spend the 600 bucks to take it. He thought maybe if he kept going he could skip help desk grunt work and go right to the fun stuff. He set his sites on the CCNA, drilled down on everything on the objective list and passed it on his first try yesterday. But now his savings are running out and he needs to get a job fast. Does he have a chance of finding something relevant to his new cert without experience? Did he over qualify himself for help desk if that's all that's realistic? Is he hosed? I might have been so obsessed with studying and figuring out the technology that I didn't study and figure out the career path at all. Any advice?

I've also been studying Javascript and Python and am really enjoying that. My plan right now is to try and build a virtual lab with VMware, GNS3, and Windows Server to show what I can do. I'm going to start looking into Docker today to see if it might be better for what I want to do.

lmfao are you me? 10+ years as CNC operator and other manufacturing. Tired of yelling, danger, toxic masculinity in the shop and want out. Been studying for a CCNA out of the blue and doing well so far. Haven't quit my job, and probably won't until I pass and can get some applications out, but god drat is it a scary proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I realize that the CCNA isn't going to be a magical entry card into the wonderful land of IT work, but it's just kinda where my dart landed when I threw it. If I take a lower tier/lower salary job, so be it. I just decided I'm done with manufacturing and don't want to seriously injure myself before 40. $55K isn't worth back pain, breathing in alzheimers aluminum dust, extreme temperatures, and violent adult temper tantrums.

Starting with the CCNA is starting somewhere, because I've got otherwise nothing on the resume, and if you got a better spot to start, I'm all ears

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

About 2/3s of the way through my CCNA course and I keep going from "wow this really is an inch deep and a mile wide, I've got this" to "oh my god, why does STP and HSRP make total sense to me one minute, and the next I'm a complete moron?"

On the plus side, have really only done like a third of the labs so far, but the CLI isn't really phasing me and I'm picking it up pretty well. Thank you childhood that was filled with playing games exclusively in DOS for that one, I think.

This is where I'm at and it's a relief to hear someone else say the same thing. I'm assuming you're also going through JeremyIT stuff? The labs really help/cement things for me since I learn by doing. But I totally feel you on how wildly different some topics are by depth.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah, using Neil Anderson's Udemy course. I've slacked with labs, but I planned on going through them once I finish the main course (only about 30% left now). I managed to get my employer to pay for Boson's lab and exam sim, so I'm hopeful that helps a ton.

Still having those "this is so easy! No wait, I don't know loving poo poo!" Moments, but it's nice to hear I'm not alone :)

The labs help a lot for me. I'm looking to quit my place/industry, so my employer definitely won't be paying for Boson, but I've been wanting to pick it up afterward for more practice

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Passed the CCNA exam this morning :toot:

I felt the most sanguine taking this cert compared to the sec+ and net+ certs where I constantly felt like I was bombing. It was hard, but I just kept telling myself to just loving send it, and worst case scenario I take it again with the safeguard option I paid for. Honestly having that in the back of my head throughout the exam more than paid for itself.

Think I'm done with certs for awhile though, started out the year getting my CompTIA trifecta knocked out before landing a job, then my boss at my new job encouraged me to earn this. I'm hopeful this helps open things up for me going forward.

Woohoo! Love to hear it. I just booked my exam (Feb 3rd) and took the safeguard option for the same reason.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Passed the CCNA an hour ago.

I'd read that if you pass, you get a splash screen saying pass, so when that didn't show up I was pretty drat dejected. Then as I'm signing out of the testing center, the proctor gives me a printout with info and a big ol' PASS on the bottom and I start laughing.

So yeah, I can relate.

The monitor I took the test on was so drat small the CLI was blown way the hell up and made reading it some sort of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I mean, a job would be nice.