Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just passed the JN0-101 test today for JNCIA-JUNOS, which seems to be a prereq for all of the more advanced Juniper certs. There were a lot more enterprise routing questions on the test than I expected, including specific details about OSPF, BGP, and RIP. Some questions wanted to know specific route export commands, and others were about which routes take preference when, etc. Definitely study up on the routing portion of JunOS if you're looking to take this exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I am just reading this now, but apparently you have to take 3 tests to upgrade from ITP 2008 to MCSE 2012? I was hoping it would just be a single upgrade test and I'd be done. Dang. :/

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

theperminator posted:

That depends on which ITP Certification you have, it looks like ITP:EA and ITP:SA aren't upgradeable using that exam
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-417

MCITP automatically grants you MCSA 2008, which IS upgradeable by this exam.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

I never took it but I own this book, and can say it gave me a really solid understanding of the UNIX environment, and yeah I used Centos to do it. Going off the reviews it appears it has helped some people get there RHCSA.

Here is the updated version. http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-Certification-Practice-Virtual-Machines/dp/007180160X/

I second that book, it's what I've been using to study for the RHCSA and it's very easy to read/use.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I work for a Juniper partner and I have quite a few of their certs.

First, there is no more specific JNCIA-level exam. There is now only one JNCIA test, the JNCIA-Junos, which is more about Junos (as a language/platform) and less about switching/routing/security/etc.

Here are the certification paths:
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/certification-tracks/

As you can see, the first level for every cert is JNCIA-Junos. Pass that, and it open up all of the other tracks. That's probably why you're having trouble finding JNCIA-level courseware/books.

The next level (and first really "technical" level) is JNCIS. So if you want the equivalent of a CCNA/CCNP, you would take the JNCIA-Junos and then the JNCIS-ENT (which is switch/route combined).

Secondly, a low-end SRX or two makes a great training box since you can use it both as a firewall or as a pure router (in "packet mode").

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Tasty Wheat posted:

(Lets see if I can do this on my phone while taking a brake from moving)

I am more interested in model numbers, it's the same way with Cisco, 2950 with Enhanced images are the way to go for switches. But tons of people will try and sell you 2950XL or 2948, saying its the best thing to practice on.

SRX100H is a pretty common one for learning. It's a low-end model (100) but with high memory (H) so it can run whatever you like. I know a couple of guys that used a few SRX100H models off ebay for their JNCIE practice. You can find them for about $300 if you pick up a Dell OEM one.

There is also a virtual SRX (JunosV Firefly) but it's not yet released so I don't know what the pricing will look like.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Juniper has changed up their certification system significantly.

The only JNCIA for switch/route is the JNCIA-Junos, which is more about Junos and less about switching/routing. The real learning happens with the JNCIS, which is a tough test (probably between CCNA/CCNP).

There used to be a JNCIA for switch/route (JNCIA-ER) but that no longer exists.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/e_track.html

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

How many of you are actually using Server 2012 on a daily-basis?

Fully on 2012, actually upgrading to 2012 R2 with the new MSDN seed in the next week or so.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
re: VCA, reminds me of the last 5 questions on the original ShoreTel certification exam (which was a 5-day class and a final exam). Most of the test was reasonably challenging, but then the end was just awful. All questions are multiple-choice:

*How much do you love ShoreTel? (it's great / not at all)
*Will you recommend ShoreTel to your friends and family? (yes / no)
*Which of these phone solutions is the best? (Cisco / Avaya / Nortel / ShoreTel -- hint: ShoreTel)
*What feature is ShoreTel missing? (DIDs / Voice Mail / Automated Attendants -- hint: none)
*Why is ShoreTel the best? (Scalable / Easy / Fun / Powerful / All of the Above)

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
FWIW, I didn't do any labs past the first 4-5 and still passed.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Hmmm, did you do the quizzes?

Yeah I did all of the quizzes (100%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Is it just me, or is the Stanly ICM lab documentation all jacked up? I'm pounding away through it and later labs reference a datastore that I already deleted. It had me expand an existing datastore on that lun as well. I have been burning through this so I may have missed something, but I do not believe so.

Also where the hell are these quizzes? The only two "quizzes" I found were the class overview and the VMware registration.

I just want my rubber stamp!

Quizzes took a couple of weeks to show up (3-4 weeks iirc).