Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

oogs posted:

As a linux sysadmin with 6+ years experience, am I crazy to not care about certs?

Only if you choose to leave your current position. If you have job security, paid well, don't plan on leaving, and your company doesn't give a poo poo about certs, then don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Does anyone know the best way to find a good Exchange 2013 (or 2010 if 2013 isn't available) course in Toronto Ontario?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

VR Cowboy posted:

Global Knowledge has an office downtown on Bay St. My boyfriend has done a few training courses through them. They offer in-class or online.

E: Here's their schedule: http://www.globalknowledge.ca/training/locationdates.asp?pageid=58&hotelid=Q6UJ9A3UOYYS&country=Canada

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

How do you find the Microsoft books? Or can you access them without a course?

I'm taking Core Solutions of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 (341) in October but I'd like to also get the book for Advanced Solutions of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 (342). The instructor said he'll give me access to the book for 341 but where can I find the book for 342 without taking the course? You used to be able to find them on Amazon but the instructor said that Microsoft has gone to an ebook style about 4 months ago and I don't see anything anywhere.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 14, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

What is the easiest way to get Microsoft certifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my current employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

In what format? The cheapest way to take these exams is to get the corresponding book and follow it, and supplement it with TechNet.

If you're looking for something like CBT Nuggets or LabSim video training that stuff is expensive as well (*to acquire legally). CBT Nuggets is 99 bucks a month to subscribe/999 yr, and LabSim can run over 1000 bucks. Both of which pale to a 'Learning Center's pricing of 3500+ bucks for a one week course. Legit training unfortunately costs money. You could also explore your local community college's offerings as well, if they have a Microsoft IT Academy classes there training shouldn't break the bank.

Actually the book thing with technet is probably what I'm looking for but I thought Microsoft was phasing out the books for some online thing?

CBT Nuggets isn't a bad idea. I can definitely afford $99/month. I just didn't want to do the $2k/course thing at like Global Knowledge. The nearest Global Knowledge location from me is 4 hours so I'd have to stay at a hotel as well which would be downtown Toronto so I'm looking at another 2k in hotel costs for a 5 day course.