Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Keep in mind that the certs require virgin sacrific... I mean renewal every so often. I'm pretty sure that Comptia stuff is good for about 2-3 years but it's quite honestly slipped my mind at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Finished studying for the A+ Certification exam... Now onto security + or a CCNA (I should probably get my CCNA shouldn't I?)

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Good, cause I'm 80% studied for the security +

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Good, cause I'm 80% studied for the security +

Edit: I plan on using and developing the actual skills that come along with it. My only hangups are actually practicing them because I'm trying to break in... Instead of having a job in networking/security.

Edit: 2 Quote is not edit, drat you mobile app

VvvV: what he said, what the actual flying gently caress?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Going to get my A+ tomorrow... wish me a dictionary.

Edit: Departing now... I feel significanly book bloated

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 10, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Trip Report: Passed the new A+ Certification exams (801 + 802)

They now include simulations that ask you to do a variety of tasks/matching operations based upon which exam it is. Not too bad, but a little bit of a surprise there if you don't know they're there.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Off the top of my head:

Know what type of connectors attach to where on a motherboard and what they look like. (Colors/shapes/specifics of slots) You should be able to identify any connector by its description, appearance, or Standard number. You should also be able to identify specific components on a motherboard

Know how to do basic remediation given a descriptor of malware/ malware aftereffects.

Know basic port numbers like SMTP, FTP, Telnet, RDP

Know your speed tables for RAM PC-XXXX, PC2-XXXX etc.

Know basic diagnostic command line tools and various switches.

Know your paths for common tasks such as enabling sharing of services/peripherals

Know your printers and dealing with stuff going wrong with them. (If x, then what's wrong/ how do you fix it)

Know common wireless standards (NOT JUST 802.11)

Take practice tests, be warned that practice tests may not have simulations. Be prepared to do matching/dragging and dropping.

Read.

Much more than that is getting pedantic and should be covered by taking a practice test to evaluate your weak spots.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Okay so I'm looking to setup a basic home lab to mess around with in pursuit of Microsoft, Cisco certifications and for my own general knowledge and experience. I'm a college student/helpdesk surfer so I don't have much of a budget to go on in pursuit of a lab, but feel that it's going to be necessary going forward to know physically how to perform certain tasks both from the hardware perspective and from the total system building perspective.

My primary concern is going to be most effective use of resources for the money and modularity and a setup condusive to learning.

My immediate goals are:
Microsoft Server Administrator
CCNA or equivalent
Virtualization Experience
Linux Familiarity down the line

Long Term
CCNP R+S/Juniper

My effective budget is rather low (~$500) and I can probably acquire partner pricing/subsidization for training through my company.

I can cut, crimp, and set my own connections

Any build suggestions?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So I shouldn't go out and get a lab router. Okay I'll take all of the above into advisement.

Edit: Okay, on that note, does anyone have specifically recommended references?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 22, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a month to study for the CCNA, pulled the trigger and everything. Good news is... I've been studying for the better part of two months now. I think I'm going to be fully prepated to take on the exam as 640-802. YOCATCO

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Tab8715 posted:

How long does it reasonably take one to get CCNA-Certified?

Well, in my case my motivtion sorta trundled and flagged for the two months prior. Nothing says doubledown like putting about 30 hours of helldesk on the line in order to get it done. In the last week or two, I've made alarmingly more progress on my study materials than in a month or so. Now my training plan is to put something like 15 hours a week minimum into it until I can reliably perform all the tasks indicated as objectives and lab out the needed objectives using all materials avaliable and be able to pass any/all questions on the material.

I'll be aiming for 640-802 before it expires and then immediately burn for a CCNP while I've got momentum.

Also it helps that everyone in the office is gunning for it now so I gotta beat them to it too

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 9, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Basic certs means that you just won't be summarily rejected without requisite experience at Entry Level job

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Going for MS 70-410 today, wish me luck

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 19, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

MrBigglesworth posted:

Most companies will have a range of IPs in a specific subnet to reserve for printers/routers/servers, the rest would be DHCP, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard as long as you have your stuff mapped and tracked proper. Setup for that first time would be a bitch sure, but once it's done......

There are solutions from other vendors that implement security much better such as port shielding or deactivating unused patches. Keep it in mind for the exam, but know that there are better solutions in the wild and in production that will intelligently react to users changing up end devices, implementing their own switches/wireless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Tab8715 posted:

I don't believe for a minute that any of those braindump sites are real, a co-worker of mine had one from testking?(is this even a braindump?) and it's literally thing the same thing you'd get from any practice test you get with cbt nuggets, sybex books or purchase individually but with slimy "You will pass the exam 100%".

I think Microsoft sued Testking at one point but later dropped the case once they found its not an actual dump.

I think there's a legitimate use for braindumps in reinforcing the TYPE of question that's going to be asked by the exams in question. HOWEVER it doesn't replace actually having the knowledge and very often will lead people astray with inaccurate answers, dumb memorization, and to be frank devalues the whole point of the certification.