Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Signed up for the A+ 901 cert. I've been taking a class for it through a tech school but I'm wondering how plausible it is to take the 902 cert without going through another class. My background is in calibrating electronic stuff so I don't have any useful experience but I'm tired of night classes and want to speed things up a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

The 902 is all software questions so if your experience is hardware calibration you're gonna need to study for that one.

Well here we are months later and I got both 901 and 902, so :toot:

On to Network+ I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

ParserGirl posted:

I'm taking the 220-902 on Friday, having passed the 901 already. I was extremely prepared but still surprised when I scored 811.
Am I off base for thinking that this half of the exam is much easier?

Not really. I took it last week and thought it was about the same in difficulty, maybe easier because of the familiarity with how they do the tests. I did have 4 simulations right off the bat so that was fun.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Got Sec+ on Thursday, I can start applying to jobs on base now

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm taking some tech school class and they enrolled me in Project+. As someone with no experience whatsoever in the world of IT, how useful is this cert going to be? I don't really have any aspirations to be a manager anytime soon but the instructors seem to think it'll be useful in the future

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Sweet, gonna try to plow through it as fast as possible then. I think it's my second to last class so I'm ready to be done with this nonsense

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, I took night classes for about 2.5 years, got my A+, N+, Sec+, Project+, and just did Cloud Essentials+ today only to land a job in my not really related to IT stuff career field that I was kinda trying to get out of. On the other hand, it's a much better location so it's not the worst thing to have possibly happened

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I found out that my intro IT help desk job will have me in imaging hell for the foreseeable future. It is with the DoD but the pay isn't great and the commute is horrid. I'm looking through WGU's list of stuff trying to figure out what would be best. Cybersecurity looks promising and would make sense to do that after having taken classes for it from a tech college not too long ago. Network operations seems like the only other one I'd want to do.

I second Boson in general, used it for Sec+, A+, and Network+. I definitely felt well prepared

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks goons, this is all good to know, hoping it leads to better things. I'm also glad I'll get some use out of my GI bill. Never saw myself going back to school, or doing school again after the tech college but here we are

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I used Boson for Net+, though it is a little pricey

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

99 bucks? Was it only one or were there multiple? Would you recommend it?

It's $99 but it gives you three practice tests with something like 65 questions per test. There's a practice mode you can do where after every question you can hit "show me the answer" and it'll break down why each possible answer is correct or incorrect. I think they also have something like a no pass no pay thing so you can get refunded if you don't pass. I used it on A+, Net+, and Sec+ and never had any issue passing, so I thought it was worth it. I'll pick it up again for AWS certs and for PenTest+.

I was also in a tech college for it so between the class material and the Boson tests I had enough material to study from, I don't think I'd use Boson alone

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Vorenus posted:

Hello thread, I'm in my early 30s working a deadend service industry job and having spent most of my life in front of computers I've been thinking about maybe doing so in a way that I actually get paid for. I'm particularly interested in networking, but mostly I just want to make 60-70k+/year.

I can't find it now, but I think I remember reading something on SA along the lines of "be careful going into IT, you can get a master's degree and no one will even look at your resume until you've spent 5 years eating poo poo at a t1 helpdesk." Looking at networking jobs around me, most places are asking for a bachelor's and 5 years experience. OTOH, I've heard a lot of companies do this to weed out applicants or because the posting is just to satisfy HR before they move their already handpicked candidate.

Anyway, I'm curious what most of your experiences are with getting into the field. Is an AAS+certs worth anything short of translating it into a BS? Am I wasting my time if calculus makes as much sense to me as theoretical physics?

If this is beyond the scope of the thread, feel free to tell me to gently caress off. Thanks.

I made the switch a little more recently. Up until late last year I was a calibration technician with a decade of experience making sure one number was between two other numbers. I went to a tech college for cybersecurity and knocked out the basic comptia certs like A+, Net+, and Sec+. Security+ was the real goal since it meant I could work on a military base doing IT stuff instead of calibrating stuff. Still took over 6 months before I could land a job in help desk but I also didn't apply for everything under the sun.

Looking at Per Scholas it seems legit in that it's free but I can't comment on how useful the material you'd be learning is. I took a bunch of classes at my tech college that didn't give me a cert. Were they good for learning something? Maybe, although mostly I felt like I learned enough to pass their test then didn't retain anything.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I passed Pentest+ and I have no idea how. I felt really unprepared as I went through the questions and was positive I wasn't going to pass. I guess I knew just enough.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had two questions that were problem based and not just question and answer. 65 questions total. One of them that's still bothering me based on how it was worded

It was the equivalent of asking which combination of colors make brown

A. Red green blue yellow
B. Blue yellow red green
C. Yellow blue green red
D. Green red yellow blue

Like I didn't know what the hell they wanted

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 14, 2021

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Uno Venova posted:

This is interesting are you taking the AWS Per Scholas too? I just got in the free course and I'm excited, is the consensus that this takes way too long?

I was planning on getting A+ certified and then having this as a second learning experience to start looking for jobs...

7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 15 weeks for an entry level cert? Yes that's an absurd length for a class although it sounds like you get slightly more out of it than just a cert. I can't find any statistics about their job placement rates so it's hard to say if it will provide a direct line into a job or if you need to suffer through help desk or something first before doing cloud stuff and things.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If you have the aptitude for it, you'll pass the first time most likely. I had two coworkers with backgrounds in IT study for a week or so and pass. But then I heard of another guy who was here for months and failed like 6 times before he was let go. Not really the norm though

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Getting security+ will also open doors to military/government jobs. I'm in that role now and they usually won't consider you if you don't have it already

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Cyks posted:

I feel like a WGU shill at this point but I regret not learning about them until after I got a bachelors at a state college where I'm still $50k in debt. My college program was terrible but even if it wasn't I really can't see there ever being a justification for a traditional four year program over WGU for an IT centric degree as long as you accelerate and finish around two, even with the difference in MHA between on campus and exclusively online. I'm only rated 60% Post-9/11 GI Bill but it works out to breaking even if I factor in the monthly housing allowance and I'm tempted to burn my remaining 18 months on the cloud computing B.S.

Any reason you wouldn't do a master's degree through WGU? I'm also going through them on the GI Bill, starting with tons of credits on the network operations BS.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Devorum posted:

How, exactly, does the GI Bill work with self-paced stuff like this? If I knock out the whole thing in two years, let's say, does it only eat 24 months of my GI Bill?

That is exactly how it works. WGU does 6 month terms so it eats 6 months of GI Bill time. What's cool though is that if you feel like the classes are easy to do, you can knock out as many credits as you can within that term and you may only have to use 18 months of GI Bill, maybe even 12. Also you get the 50% average or whatever housing allowance so it ends up being $900 a month they pay you for that.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

thalweg posted:

Is it worthless even for someone trying to get their first foothold in IT? Really hope not. I got my A+ at the end of March but my work history is all non-IT. I have a lot of customer service/retail and some management experience and a goon-level amount of hobby computer knowledge. I'm starting to think I may need (at least) a second cert to stand out, and there's a decent amount of gov work in my area (Olympia WA) so I'm considering Sec+ as a next step, but would Net+ be more generally useful to have under my belt?

Sec+ will get you in the door at Fairchild, so that's something worth shooting for if nothing else. Net+ I never found to be useful.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure about best but I'm currently going through Jeremy's IT Labs on youtube. So far it's been pretty good.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You got this

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Famethrowa posted:

well, RIP. see you again in a few months test

That's unfortunate. I may know your pain in three months or so as well

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm working my way through the Hardware domain on the A+ right now. So far I've got max cable lengths, DDR4 transfer speeds in Mb/s, and port numbers. Are there any other dumb things I just have to memorize that I've missed so far? What ones beyond the ram portion of the hardware domain do I need to look out for and start drilling when i get to them?

Motherboard sizes, all the USB types, maybe all the monitor connections as well. The cable lengths and port numbers will show up in other tests as well so they're probably worth getting good at.

I'm taking a break from studying the CCNA and every cert test has felt the same in that there's an endless amount of things to know.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Have you been using Jeremy’s IT lab on YouTube? Dude covers the entire CCNA and has a bunch of packet tracer labs that he does. It’s pretty good

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't used it personally, maybe someone else has and could say whether or not they liked it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The one that gets you where you want to go

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Passed the CCNA. Much like PenTest+ I was pretty sure I wasn't going to pass. I've felt under prepared for pretty much every cert test I've taken and somehow keep scraping by with passing scores.

My only question now is how easy/difficult will it be to break back into IT. I did nearly two years of help desk and for the last month went back to calibrating stuff and things cause of a move.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Somehow I have a Cisco ID not associated with my personal email or my school email. Would be nice to get proof of passing.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'd keep an eye on Boson's website, they normally do 25% off sales around the holidays

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
WGU wants me to take AWS SysOps admin associate. It seems a little weird since I'm in the network BS degree plan but whatever. How useful is this cert? I'm not opposed to a cloud job, I'm really just trying my best to get back into IT and out of metrology for good. I've done a couple years of help desk and have a few more IT certs and looking to make a move into something a little more lucrative.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Test centers are the way to go. I have to take certain ones at home through WGU and dealing with proctors is hit or miss. Sometimes they’re great and it’s straightforward, sometimes I’m sitting around for 15 minutes doing nothing. The test centers have been real easy every time. Any community college should have one

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I looked at like 30 different schools and no one seems to offer the PMP cert as part of their programs. Everyone offers a prep class that counts as education towards it, but there's always a disclaimer that the student is responsible for the PMP cert costs.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
For what it’s worth the CCNA has not helped me land anything with a couple years help desk experience, but also I’m not applying to positions that are paying under $50k. If you know someone who can get your foot in the door you’re far better off

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Security+ is a decent start, it’s a basic requirement for a lot of government IT jobs. I wouldn’t say to stop studying for the CCNA, it’s still going to look good on a resume.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
As useless as A+ is, I just applied for a government job where that was one of the mandatory requirements. Ridiculous but there you have it, one edge case where it came in handy

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

jeeves posted:

Anyone know of a good Apple iOS version of any sort of CCNA trainer?

Trying to force myself to do demo questions on my phone may be helpful. I sure as hell find ways to not do it when I sit in front of a computer.

I had the one called CCNA 200-301 Exam Prep. It was good enough to keep me going when I didn't have my computer around. I don't remember it being great, just good enough.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe you wanted the coveted Certificate of Posting® on these here dead gay forums

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I did Boson practice tests, took a few more random ones online, and passed with not much trouble. This was after A+ and Net+ so maybe having that knowledge helped. I didn’t think sec+ was really any tougher than net+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
PenTest+ was rough as hell. I took it through WGU and to this day I’m still not sure how I passed