Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
As a linux sysadmin with 6+ years experience, am I crazy to not care about certs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

IT Guy posted:

Only if you choose to leave your current position. If you have job security, paid well, don't plan on leaving, and your company doesn't give a poo poo about certs, then don't bother.

I have 3 out of 4. I know I'll be leaving in 2 years (the reason is completely independent of my job - spouse will pursue a postdoc position in a different city).

madmaan posted:

Do potential jobs you apply for look for them? Can you learn anything from the coursework?

I have yet to see one that requires RHCE explicitly - maybe that's due to the area I work in, I don't know. I understand that I should get more $ if I have one, and it would make me more desirable employee-wise. The coursework might teach me a few things that I haven't run in to while at work (i.e. cups servers, red hat paid features), but I don't expect it to completely redefine how I work and what I'm doing. Later/higher courses would definitely teach me new things.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yes. It's just like not caring about a degree or any piece of knowledge that does not apply directly to your current position. It's about getting another job with more authority and more benefits. All the pieces matter.

Funny thing about that - I got my degree after I got my job, and the (engineering) degree was just for HR purposes at that point. I haven't had trouble switching jobs and moving up ($ & position-wise).

I'm aiming for a senior position (i.e. Sr. Linux Sysadmin) or a higher-paid intermediate position when I move 2 years from now. I realize certs will help. My question was based on my experience while job hunting, interviewing, and working - linux sysadmin certs don't seem to be the end-all be-all like it is in networking or MS-land.

oogs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 21, 2012

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
I asked about the value of having certs a while back, and expressed how the lack of them hasn't hurt me. Well, now that I'm looking to change that, I ran in to one small snag:

Red Hat certs or LPI certs?

I'm a linux sysadmin. There is little/no difference to me* for the base set of exams (through RHCE/LPIC-3). Does anyone know if there's a difference as far as HR is concerned?

*I work in a mixed environment. RH/Centos5+, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS+, a few Win servers that are not my responsibility. No Debian, some BSD, we've purged solaris. Mix of Virtual and Physical hosts. While we're moving towards Ubuntu in the long run, I will most likely be changing jobs before that plan matures.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
So, I'm signed up for RH255 Red Hat System Administration III with RHCSA and RHCE Exams. I've been a linux sysadmin for a while, but reading through a RHCE prep book suggests they'll be asking lots of inane stuff (what does this flag do?). What should I expect from the class & exam(s)?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

hackedaccount posted:

Create a VirtualBox + CentOS lab at home and practice. One should be your infrastructure server with CIFS share, NFS share, iSCSI targets, a HTTP server, DNS server to resolve host names for your test lab, and a RPM repo. Install another couple VMs, take snapshots so you can roll back without re-install, and go to town.

You will need to know inane stuff because the test is mostly about time management. You can use any documentation that's included with RHEL but digging through man pages will chew up your time. You should also seriously consider NOT taking the test right after the class. I've done Linux for a long time but there's no way I could cram that weird stuff (SELinux, LUKS) into my brain that quickly - maybe you configure Apache by hand daily but it's a rarity for me. Last thing is to read the RHCE objectives carefully. On the objectives page those 5 bullet points under the Network Services section apply to ALL services so make sure you know how to do those 5 things for every service on the test.

Thanks. I didn't realize the test had to be scheduled separately - I just figured it was day 5 of the course. The SELinux stuff will definitely require some attention on my part.