Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Alright, time for me to revisit my life choices again.

I went from senior Helldesk to Helldesk/SysAdmin to InfoSec Administrator over a period of three years. And then I got laid off when the company brought in new IT management and started replacing everyone who had been there for more than a few years. I've got a wide body of experience but no depth because I wasn't in the roles long enough to really grow. I was mostly the person who picked up tasks the more experienced people didn't want to do or didn't have time to do.

For the past six months, I've been fighting to get interviews in any of the above positions, and my results have sucked. Helldesk positions say I am too senior, SysAdmin positions don't respond to my resume at all, and InfoSec positions all go "We want someone with more experience, a CISSP, and hands on experience with a bunch of applications".

So now I'm trying to figure out what training or certs I should be getting my hands on to make my resume more attractive. I currently have my Security+ and the basic Certified in Cybersecurity from ISC2. My old A+ certification is expired and I don't have a college degree.

I've got very limited experience with AWS and Azure (old sysadmins didn't want me touching them), limited AD experience (old SysAdmins hated AD and refused to tie anything into it other than the domain and basic user accounts for password management). I've got some Okta experience and I set up PCI scans from scratch, and I used to manage the company VOIP systems. So... what tools or certs should I be aiming to pick up to help me land a basic System Administrator job or InfoSec Admin/Analyst job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Yeah if you already unemployed no reason not to be applying for the 2-6mo contract gigs that nobody wants to leave a long term position for. It's probably clean up or set up, and either way you'll learn a lot and add resume experience.

Where should I be looking for these contract gigs?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Holy loving poo poo, I'm trying to schedule a certification test and the nearest testing center is 30 miles away from me AND doesn't show a single opening until loving FEBURARY. The next closest one is 55 miles away. I have a slow period at work for the next few weeks and was hoping to bang through the remainder of my training and take the test while all the info is fresh in my mind but nope, not going to happen.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's not a huge thing, but I got my Network+ cert today. One more step in getting out of helldesk for good. Next up, PenTest+.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Oh damnit, just discovered that CySA+ CSO-002 was retired YESTERDAY. Time to see if anyone has info on what changes the new test has before I schedule

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Scheduled my CySA+ test for a week out. Feels like I am rushing it, but all the review material is stuff that I know from working doing vulnerability scanning for a few years at the startup I worked for.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Passed my CySA+ today. It had a lot of questions about how to interpret shell commands which I am definitely not strong at.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! That cert is on my list of ones to earn for 2024.

Have you taken the Security+ exam? How would you say the CySA+ compares?

I have my Sec+, the CySA is way more focused on how to analyze logs, how to do things according to policy, what thing to do when you encounter an incident, what to do after an incident is resolved and how to identify what the best way to handle/set policy is.
Sec+ was more about knowing how encryption works, how kerberos works, etc. The stuff you want to know as a system administrator trying to set stuff up or figure out how servers are communicating.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone have a suggestion for what cert I should go for next? I have my Sec+, Network+ and CySA+ and I haven't decided what else to go for. I'm currently waiting for my security clearance to finalize and I'm in a very boring helldesk job with a couple free hours a day and free access to cbtnuggets.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

In the past year I've gotten my Sec+, Net+ and CySA+. My ability to study has taken a hit because of depression and job hunting stress, but I know I need to get more poo poo next to my name to move to a better paying position in this area.

So now I have scheduled my Server+ test just to get myself off my rear end and finish going through training material. I don't see it being a problem passing based on the practice tests I have taken, I am just so tired of going through videos explaining stuff that I (mostly) already know.

Next on my list, Linux+ - which will at least be stuff that I've only dabbled in so it should be somewhat interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So for someone in a mid level admin role going back to start collecting certs on the security side, am I better off getting the security+, or just jump straight to SSCP and use that as a building block towards getting my CISSP?

Get your Sec+ since that specifically meets some DoD requirements in case you ever move jobs or need to be able to work with the US military. It's also something that HR/Recruiting recognize on sight, so it helps you get past them when applying for jobs.