Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

So I've got CompTIA Security+ and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 and 70-686). I want to go for more server-y stuff next, so I think I'm gonna go for the Enterprise Administrator certs. 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647. Are there any reasons (other than time/money) I may want to just go with the Server Administrator track instead?

643 and 647 retire in July so you would have to go fast if you want MCITP: EA. You can either do MCSA: Windows Server 2008 (640, 642, 646) or go right to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (410, 411, 412). If you do the Server 2012 track then you only need 2 more exams for MCSE Server 2012. Or you can put them towards MCSE Desktop 2012 which also only needs 2 more exams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

N+ right? Why can't you just schedule it on the Pearson Vue website?

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I went there and ended up on a page with a bunch of phone numbers to call for the places near me. Am I supposed to schedule it online somewhere?

Yes. On the main page on the right click Learn, then IT and CompTIA. Then on the right is the option to schedule the test online, search for testing centers, etc. You'll need to make a Pearson Vue account.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

KetTarma posted:

It almost feels like I should stop working on certs after I finish my CCNA and just wait until I graduate/get a job. :(

I wonder how weird people are going to think you are when they see a resume with a fresh EE degree and you're applying for scrub jobs like us :v:

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

keseph posted:

About half of the 2008 exams have already retired, back in July and the other half retire at the end of January, and the 2008-equivalent of the MCSE is already retired.

Where are you seeing that MCSA Server 08 is going to be retired? I'm looking on the MS cert site and don't see anything. MCITP:EA retired, but that's it.

keseph posted:

The MCSA is only good for 3 yeears

Also where do you see this? I believe MCSA is good for life and does not need to be renewed.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

keseph posted:

Those 3 being the required exams for the MCSA: Server 2008.

I think you're reading it wrong. That's just saying the MCTS cert you get for passing each individual exam is being retired. 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will still be around and give you MCSA Server 08 if you pass all 3, but if you pass just 1 of them you won't get the MCTS cert like you used to. See how when you expand the Windows Server section of that link there's no * next to 640 and 642.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Guys,

I did it.

So excited that you posted in the wrong thread :v:

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

Frag Viper posted:

Wonder when Lammle will come out with a new book.

Oct 7th, it's up for pre-order on Amazon. His book for the new CCENT is already out.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

jane came by posted:

Aren't they retiring MCCA 2008 tests in January?

No

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

I've always used a credit card (without middle name). If your Pearson account is John Smith and the card says John A Smith it won't matter.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

pluralsight.com has a ton of stuff and it's $30/month.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Regarding MCTS or MCITP, which is actually better? Personally, the MCITP sounds better to me just being a more general pc troubleshooting type of thing as compared to focusing exclusively on Win7. Thoughts?

MCITP title has been retired and 70-685 doesn't get you any certification by itself. If you pass both 680 and 685 you'll get MCSA: Windows 7.

Edit: Actually I see the ability to get the MCITP title has been extended until July 31. For both server and desktop I guess.

Amphion fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

incoherent posted:

Then, meet back here in ~4ish months and tell us how much you've passed by.

He's only got 2 months to do it in along with 2 other certs. So, do all that but fast.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

The MS Windows 7 cert is another good one to start with. MS is offering a free second attempt if you fail through the end of May so now is a good time to do it.

Support jobs is what you can expect but it might pay around what you make now or less depending on the city. Ideally not something like a comcast call center telling people to unplug and plug it back in. Look on dice or indeed and search help desk, desktop support, and field technician and see what the descriptions are like and what they're asking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

No, it's not. There's multiple simulators like Packet Tracer from Cisco or this one from Odom http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Network-Simulator/dp/0789750880/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394064763&sr=8-1