Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you wanted to start the VMware desktop certification path, I strongly suggest to avoid the view ICM 7.0 ondemand course. I have just completed it and there are lots of content issues(typos, cut&paste from old releases that are possibly misleading, even straight up wrong diagrams/slides) and the lab hasn't been correctly provisioned(RDSH had an expired license in my case). Go for a instructor led course for 7.3 instead.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hi,
I'd like to do the VMware VCPDCV 6.5 delta exam. Do you know any good study resources? My last VMware official course (view 7 ECM) was an absolute waste of time(wrong info, copy/pasted slides and so on) so I'd like to avoid them if possible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Done the vcp-dcv 6.5 delta exam. Doable but stay on your toes for questions about migration procedures, varied maximums and the big bullet points on the what's new list.

EDIT: Did any of you guys took any pearson vue exams recently? Did they made you not just remove personal items, but clear pockets and check if you got anything hidden in your trousers legs? I had less body checks while going in state buildings.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 6, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm taking the VCP6-NV exam on Thursday. I don't remember anybody in this thread saying they've taken it. Any other insights on VCP in general? Tons of 'select 2' or 'choose all that apply' type answers? Was the content reasonable, or did it feel like a weird mix of gotcha questions and sales-pitch poo poo?

After taking the CCNA Security I have no faith that vendors provide quality tests for certifications anymore.

I did the test, it's exactly like any vcp test, everything is a pick one or many, no complex simulations or anything. Like always check for double or triple negatives. I cannot find the blogposts i used to study for mine but i would suggest you take a look at http://buildvirtual.net/vcp-nv-objectives-study-guide/ and http://everything-virtual.com/vmware-study-guides/vcp-nv-study-guide/

Keep in mind that the first vcp you take is made from two exams, the generic vsphere one(which is chock full of sales/licensing/product lineup questions) and the product specific exam(which is all technical with a very limited amount of licensing questions). Quality wise i would rank my vcp tests in the following order:

1. DCV (everything is product specific and i've never found issues with the quizzes)
2. NV (once they start doing network specific quiz their phrasing may lead to double intendres but it's still decent)
3. DTM (pure junk, it's a lottery to get quizzes which won't gently caress you over with old product issues or not in the syllabus)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 30, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Cool, thanks! I'll search through the study guides and make sure I have an understanding of everything on there. Anything in particular you felt tripped up on during the NV exam?

In my practice tests, I have a very solid understanding of the NSX to Physical traffic flows, VXLAN, and NSX components. I'm weakest on OSPF (how logical controller VMs talk with edges, communicate back to the Controller, and the Controller communicating with the hosts), going to study that today and tomorrow because I have a feeling it's going to show up a lot.

I've read a few things that the NV exam is more of a networking exam than NSX exam, but I have a CCNA Route and Switch and CCNA Security so I feel like the networking questions should help float everything else.

I had exactly zero vxlan questions but several is is and ospf questions. Keep in mind that vcp nv is a medium to low tier in the hierarchy, you need to know how the protocol works, what you need to prepare to set it up in your infra and how to set it up in your nsx environment, more than that is vcap scope.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 30, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

this distresses me because I know somebody at work who took it, and they said they had one OSPF question that covered the bare basics, but tons of VXLAN questions. So either he doesn't remember the exam clearly, or there's a huge array of topics covered by the test and I'll have to be ready for all of them.

I'm fairly confident, having taken a bunch of other certificates and working with NSX on a daily basis and studying as much as I have. But of course I'm still stressing about it.

Protip (for this exam and everything in the world), chill. Going there all nervous means you will throw answers you know, relax, read the guides chapters on ospf and route protocols and don't stress yourself. Even if you cock up the ospf questions you need to throw off several other questions to get burned. My failed VCP exams were a litany of wrong answers not a couple so answer what you can, mark the ones you have no idea and proceed till the end. If the ones you are on the edge are a handful just yolo it out(like i will admit i did on my nv since i am not a network dude) if half of them are marked tho try to read them all and pick the ones you are more certain as a reference/North star to answer the rest.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 30, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I mean, I have 8 certifications, this certainly isn't my first rodeo. But I'm always nervous going into an exam from a vendor I haven't tested with before. I failed the Linux+ because I assumed it would be CompTIA style and not LPIC style, which was way different. Once I knew how to study I crushed the thing, so I'm trying to make sure I'm studying correctly for this VCP.

Also this is being sponsored by my new job so if I gently caress up there's more on the line. I have to go back to my boss and report that all the time I spent studying at work resulted in a failed exam which isn't a great look.

My employer have never paid for my certs(they only paid for the courses, which in VMware case are stupid expensive while the exams are almost reasonable, by having a ccna you saved yourself a 3 grand mandatory ICM course) which i will admit is a better option. If you gently caress up the exam is on you and nobody is going to judge/nag you if you fail. Having my employer oversee the exams would be cumbersome at best and a mayor pain in the rear end.

I wasn't being funny/high and mighty/condescending. Stressing/crunching out the day before the exam have always lead to gently caress ups on my exams, so i was just pointing out that panicking about something you don't know much isn't going to help you. That's all.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Diva Cupcake posted:

One week ago I received this email that my VCP6-DCV is expiring.

Today I get an email that VCPs will no longer expire. We'll be able to do the upgrade path when/if we want to. No longer within 2 years.

https://campaign.vmware.com/imgs/edu/VMware_Recertification_Rollback_FAQ.pdf

There is still a catch if you read the doc, you need to stay within three major releases of the exam or you will need to retake it from scratch. Happy as a clam(we are going back to the vcp4/5 era where you updated your cert when you wanted it and the cert was still valid for older versions) as there was not that big of a knowledge update doing dcv 6.x deltas exams(the sole cert that did shed/changed content was dtm as a good chunk of software making the horizon suite was put into end of life)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jaded Burnout posted:

Humble Bundle has some study guides for cheap at the moment.

Related; I've been considering picking up a few certs just to bolster my CV a bit. Would I be right that it's a complete waste of money if I don't strictly need them for my job market? I hear the industry's got more rackets than wimbledon.

I started reading the comptia a+ ones on a whim and seems decent if not a bit too dry, the Cisco ones have a very short shelf life(after feb they have limited if no value).

Certs are situational(public sector loves them, private cares little about them) but are good resume fodder if you don’t have much experience to fill the previous jobs page.

On a related note packt is letting everyone read their catalog for free. The video courses are done via html5 with no restrictions on downloading, so you might stock on some topics you might want to cert on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CampingCarl posted:

Coworkers were having a discussion along similar lines as this but for degrees. I'm curious if the public/private sector applies to that as well.
Since I only have a high school degree and no higher ed(uni) degree, I’m barred from any jobs higher than computer janitor in my public sector workplace. Certs will get you some extra points but degrees will give you real advantages in the public sector.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I work in the public sector and have no degree. All I’ve ever had is certs and work experience. It will 100% not hold you back from going as far as you want in a technical role. The only time I’ve ever seen a lack of degree hold someone back is if you’re trying to make a switch to IT management. Otherwise get certs, gain experience, and go as far as you want.

The next job rank from my base computer toucher position requires a three year university degree, hard requirement, written in both my workplace and the national contract. No way to escape it. Welcome to :italy:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilkhan posted:

I looked at pearson vue to schedule and it was all unavailable. How do you do the from home testing?

The home testing package in pearson vue usually has a different code from the standard test to do at a test site, you might have to search on the certification provider site for the exact one.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I have an AWS associate exam coupon that i'm not going to use and it's expiring soon( Jun 3), send me a pm if you want it. You can use it now to schedule up to a year in advance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

calusari posted:

sent you a PM

Code sent, good luck!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Much to my surprise, I passed the AWS Solutions Architect exam. :woop:

Now, to figure out next steps. Balancing out the resume with an Azure Administrator certification or committing to better understanding an AWS Specialty.

I would suggest to committing to one cloud, intermediate/high level certs for a specific one will look nicer in your LinkedIn profile/resume than a base one for every cloud.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it might sound painful but if you are starting to work on your first VCP cert, this is the time to reassess and think on something different. Maybe AWS? Maybe something on the Microsoft 365 stack? I wouldn't trust VMware certs to hold the same value as those in the near future.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Network+
Linux+
Security+
AWS Sysops Admin
AZ-104
AS in Network, Security, and Information Technology

Do I leave all of that on my resume, and order them in importance to the job, or do I leave some off and some on? I also have A+ but I don't think that matters compared to everything else.

I keep all certs on my personal website(which contains the unabridged version of my cv) and list only the ones that require a year or more technical experience on my cv, otherwise it would get too crowded.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Net+ mmmmmmACQUIRED

Only bullshit question that stuck with me this time was something about max permissible wattage over a certain type of ethernet cable.

Mike Myers stuff helped a ton. Prof Messer helped with the rest. 762, but gently caress it, I'll take it

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Techni...0wall%20wiring.

Depening on cable AWG (diameter is key) you can only make it pass a certain amount of power reliably. Bigger the AWG, the less power it can push.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

while this is true, I really loving doubt anyone's doing DIY POE in 2022 which is the only time I can think that would be relevant. CompTIA asks some really loving stupid questions, and it'd be nice if they were at all competent at test writing or composition. my diagnosis is too many STEM nerds and no pedagogists

Even if you buy premade, it's stil a valid if niche question. Depending on how cheap CAT6 you buy, you could get awg28(cheap patch) or awg26(expensive patch) rather than the conventional awg24(rigid plenum).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyks posted:

Was the question regarding the cable or PoE/PoE+/PoE++ maximums cause if it was the former they are just asking people to use brain dumps for now on. There’s no way they are expecting people to know capabilities based off wiring thickness.

Unless the question was something like “what’s the maximum wattage you can power over fiber optics.”

Until very recently awg28 was rated 15w only while 30w was awg24-26 territory(which might make it a old "gotcha" question never removed from the question pool). Cheap awg28 wires pushing 30w gets crispy at long distances.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 3, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zil posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for learning SQL? A quick course now is fine but would like to get a certification if possible since the new job requires it after the first year of employment.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/tutorials-for-sql-server-2016?view=sql-server-ver16

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/educational-sql-resources?view=sql-server-ver16

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

Couple of guys I used to work with want to pay for the test to get me certified to do MS Teams/Oracle SBC integrations on the MS side; the company they're contracting out to says they want them to have someone that's "Teams Certified" but have been (unsurprisingly - for a bit of context this company laid off two out of the three of us, and was just a generally lovely employer to work for in general so we're taking advantage of having them bent over a figurative barrel) a bit cagey about what that means.

As best I can tell, the MS-700 is "the" Teams cert, is that right?

As far as the Oracle setup goes, it's almost brainless work (so I'm perfect for it!) but we want to have the certs set up right so all our poo poo is in compliance.

You want this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/m365-teams-voice-engineer-expert/ MS-700 is the base level which doesn't go into detail over the phone system feature.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you want some irony poisoning

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/02/telegram_court_ip/

A exam cram maker wants telegram to hand out the ips of people copying his exam copies, while having his name in the clear for prometric/pearson to sue his rear end.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 4, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

skipdogg posted:

AES is an encryption standard, it can be used all sorts of places, not just for wireless networks. AES can be used in disk encryption, SSL certificates, software encryption, etc.

WPA2 or 802.11i defines the protocol standard for WPA2. If you want your wireless device to be WPA2 compliant it lays out the standards for the protocol so your device can be compliant. AES encryption is part of that suite of protocols and rules for lack of a better term.

Think of WPA2 as being a framework of rules for all the stuff going on inside the wireless transmission/network like key exchanges, packet frames, stuff like that.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask for more detail, I don't want to get too in the weeds about this stuff. The Wiki page for WPA2/802.11i gets into it as well.

As a quick note, some routers call WPA2 with TKIP encoding just WPA2 so the real underlying differentiation is WPA2-TKIP and WPA2-AES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hot news for VMware certified professionals, start backing up your poo poo.

Broadcom fuckers posted:

Dear Slowbloke,

As of May 6, 2024, VMware by Broadcom will launch new learning platforms. MyLearn will no longer be used. Our new platforms will contribute to the development of a streamlined and efficient learning ecosystem as part of Broadcom's effort to unify its systems. These changes will enable us to better manage our educational resources.

What you need to do:
Screenshot course completion data: Please ensure that you have a record of your past completions by taking screenshots of your course completion data from the current portal by May 5, 2024. You may save this data for future reference. Go to https://mylearn.vmware.com and click on the myTranscripts tab.

Important Dates:
April 19, 2024 - Last to complete VCF Instructor-Led Classes on MyLearn.
May 5, 2024 - Last day to save myTransript course completion data.
May 6, 2024 - MyLearn registration portal will be retired, and the new Broadcom platform will launch.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we appreciate your understanding during this migration process. A separate email will be sent providing detailed instructions about how to register for classes in the coming weeks.

Should you have any questions please contact us at eduoperations@vmware.com.