Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
It's been a looooooooooooooong time since I've taken any kind of standardized testing so I'm looking at taking a couple of the easier type cert exams just to get used to the actual process and mental headspace of test taking again.
I'm looking at the Microsoft MD-100 and MD-101 exams. Can anyone recommend some study materials (digital or physical) for this exam? For some context, I've worked as a computer toucher/Windows admin for 20ish years now. I've worked for both very large orgs (federal government) and a small MSP with 5 employees. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
It's been roughly 100 years since I've had to take any kind of test in a structured, classroom setting and I need some practice. So, I'm currently looking at the AZ-900 'Azure Fundamentals' exam from Microsoft. I've been working with Azure/M365 in some capacity for the last 10 years or so and due to this I would consider my skill level with Azure to be intermediate, read: I know how to do stuff in Azure, but I know that there's a lot more to learn.
Would this be a good choice for me? Anybody here have recent experience with this exam? Any book or study material recommendations? Thanks!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Weaponized Autism posted:

If you haven't done any type of exam in a while, do the AZ-900 first to get a feel for how Microsoft does their exams. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Azure Training Day https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trainingdays/azure, you can get a free voucher for the AZ-900 if you take the virtual training course for Azure Fundamentals.
2. Do the Microsoft Learn course for Azure Fundamentals
3. John Savill on YouTube does a ton of study videos for Azure.
4. Find practice exams online to get an idea of how they word questions, a lot of times they'll be exam dumps so you'll get the same questions during your actual exam.

AZ-900 is a great starting point, after which you can go for AZ-104.

Thanks for all the information! Good thing I asked, I had no clue about the Azure Training day and course voucher.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Just as an FYI, MS is no longer offering the voucher for the free AZ-900 certification exam after attending the virtual training day. The virtual training is still free, but it is no longer a path to a free cert :(

I'm in the Azure virtual training right now and someone asked about this in the chat. Here is the official response:

"Hi there, due to recent programmatic changes, Microsoft is no longer offering free certification exams with Microsoft Virtual Training Days, but learners can still attend these valuable training sessions at no cost. When you feel you are prepared, you can register for Microsoft Certification exams on Microsoft Learn."

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

FCKGW posted:

:siren: Free MS Certs are back :siren:

Pulled from Slickdeals:

I did both my AZ-900 and AZ-104 for free through the MS challenges, it's a good program.

Thanks for this, just registered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Any recommendations for Security+ study materials? Both printed book format and online. Thanks.