Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Hotel Kpro posted:

WGU wants me to take AWS SysOps admin associate. It seems a little weird since I'm in the network BS degree plan but whatever. How useful is this cert? I'm not opposed to a cloud job, I'm really just trying my best to get back into IT and out of metrology for good. I've done a couple years of help desk and have a few more IT certs and looking to make a move into something a little more lucrative.

If you ever decide to transition over to cloud-adjacent jobs having a background in network administration will be a great help for you. I hear that the SysOps cert is the more difficult of the beginner ones to get, but it certainly gets you introduced to a lot of AWS at a high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Noam Chomsky posted:

What’s the cert path for AWS?

Depends on your end goal. If you're planning on something like dev-ops then follow that. Operations would be SysOps and then probably a specialty one depending on your interests. Solution Architect is more of a pre-sales role and a bit more hands off of daily operations and more of designing, improving, or replacing technical environments.

If you're absolutely fresh in AWS you could do the Cloud Practitioner one, but most people say to skip that and go for the SA Associate, obviously it's a bit more in depth on subjects but definitely do-able for newer people. I only did the CP one because my college required it for a class.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I did the trifecta thanks to his videos. He's dry but very concise and you can definitely speed up the audio a bit to get through it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I thought it was easier too. Cloud+ was even easier than those too.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
drat, might have to consider Azure if a 900 can help that much with experience.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Even with almost a decade of experience some of the classes took a lot of studying and dedication to get through. The AWS CCP is pretty easy, as well as like the A+ but even those will take considerable time with no IT experience. There are exam dumps out there, but you'd only be hurting yourself in the long run obviously by not taking the learning on.

And those are just the certs, there were a few of the core classes that took weeks to finish projects or finally test out of.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Covid has also been brutal for a lot of people and I haven't had questions about two several month gaps in the last 4 years.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
People have stolen copies of legit books and sold them under a different name or seller, so those sales go to the wrong people.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Passed the SAA-C03 last week! Failed it once but was able to put some solid days of studying in. Feels good to have that out of the way.

My degree course still has 3 Azure certs to do, but I believe doing the actual cert is optional and they just have a test within the class instead. Just curious how much knowledge overlap there is for Azure and AWS? Would it be dumb of me not to get those certs? They'd be free for the first try at it, but I'm not sure I can devote as much time to those as I did the SAA-C03. It's the Azure AZ-100, AZ-104 and AZ-204.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 16, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Looks like I've got Project+ up next, how is that one compared to the other typical CompTIA certs?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
After going through Comptia's Certmaster for the Project+ I am even less confident than I was when I started it...

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I failed my first go by a few points so I'm already well past sick of everything about this cert lol

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Hotel Kpro posted:

You’ll be fine, probably. I don’t think project+ is supposed to be difficult

Narrator: "He was fine."

Passed that poo poo, get outta my way CompTIA.

Lots of trickily worded questions as per the norm.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I'm about 90% of the way done with the multi-cloud program. Did the AWS CCP and SAA certs a while ago and have a few Azure certs left to do. I think the program has done a great job at getting me prepped for cloud stuff, although I have yet to land a job that gets to apply that knowledge, I am much more confident with working inside of them with the personal projects I've done (such as the Cloud Resume Challenge, which I also recommend).

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I'm taking Python right now actually, it's been a tough class for me and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around for and while loops. Hopefully getting it done before my terms ends this month along with the ITIL cert.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

guppy posted:

Do you have any specific questions? The basic structure of both is fairly straightforward.

I think the biggest part is just getting reps in with writing code. I can right simple code all day, but once I start implementing loops it just starts to twist my brain trying to dissect a problem and piece a solution together. But I think that's also one of my favorite things about it so far, there's been so many a-ha! moments I've had these last few weeks playing with it.

A major gripe I have is how WGU's usage of Zybooks, which is a pretty clunky platform when it comes to this class and for programming in general. The material is good and solid but the way it autogrades your solutions isn't great and a lot of their challenge problems don't give you enough info to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Something I've seen a lot of people doing now is taking classes from Sophia.com before they enroll at WGU, as the classes are pretty easy and transfer well into WGU credits so those who want to accelerate will do that first.