Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife
I've got Network+, Security+ and Oracle Certified Associate (Database 11g Admin). I'm going to take the OCP when I have the time to throw at studying a bit more.

The OCA is broken down into two tests, SQL Fundamentals and Admin I. They're both pretty serious compared to the CompTIA tests. The SQL test includes some seriously convoluted statements and "trick" questions. It has a pretty high failure rate from what I've heard, even though it is unproctored. I would guess this is due to the fairly lengthy questions and time limit. You need to really know your general syntax as well as some nitty-gritty details about functions. You will not have time to look them up as you go.

The Admin I centers around core Oracle RDBMS functionality. It's a pretty serious test as well, and is proctored. You need to know pretty much the full range of basic admin tasks and concepts: physical and logical storage architecture, user creation and management, memory structures, networking and a lot more. For me, this test was easier than the SQL test, but that is likely because I have a lot more Sys Admin experience than direct development.

As I said, I should be taking the OCP very soon. It looks at some more in-depth concepts of the core RDBMS, but mostly concentrates on obscure recovery processes and ancillary systems. The breadth of topics involved in it is daunting to say the least, and on top of that it requires a paid ($3000) class from Oracle to qualify. I can say, without question, that that class was the worst technical training I've ever received, by far.

I was told by an Oracle University trainer that they intentionally make this certification track difficult and expensive in order to make it exclusive. I don't doubt the truth of that, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

Tab8715 posted:

How much did you learn from the OCA? How long did you study and how much did it cost?

I actually learned quite a bit. The tests dig fairly deep into the mechanisms of the RDBMS and Oracle's brand of SQL. I passed both tests within about 9 months, but I also went to an Oracle University class for each of them. I also bought Sybex study guides and Kaplan Self-Test licenses (the combo I use for everything so far). I would guess the total cost at around $10k, but you could do it for much much less (probably about $750), and I doubt it would take significantly longer, if even as long if you have an familiarity with Oracle already.

dolicf posted:

Get a CCNA. Security+ is basically a joke cert that is pretty much just an HR checkbox.

Edit: Or better yet, do both. Security+ can be studied up for and passed with no prior IT knowledge in like a week tops.

This is not true, in my experience. Security+ isn't an extremely serious cert, but it's not useless. The IA team at a company I worked for previously required one, along with some experience, and they were far from a joke.

There's also very little likelihood someone with no IT knowledge would pass it within a week. Some people study extremely well, so that may have been your experience, but people reading this thread should not assume that will be the case for them.

Graves fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 28, 2012

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Is the test required?

I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll try to cover any bases.

Is the Self-Test license required?
No, I just like to use them. They're a GREAT way to prepare for a test.

Is the class required?
Not for the two OCA tests, but it is required for the OCP test.

Are both tests required?
Yes, both tests are required. I think, maybe, at one point there was some flexibility with what one of the two tests could be, but now the two I mentioned are required.

psydude posted:

I felt S+ contained a lot of good, basic information about encryption standards and algorithms as well as their general strengths and weaknesses that the CCNA and MCSA fail to cover.

I agree. I don't know about the MCSA, but I did study for a CCNA at one point, before deciding to focus in on database administration, and I would say the Security+ fills in some gaps.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Passed the last OCP test (1Z0-053) last week. I don't think I've ever taken a test that was so much more in-depth than any of the training material I found for it. Luckily I've worked with the product a good bit and over-studied. Serious bitch of a test, if anyone is considering that cert track be absolutely SURE you are ready for that test.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

MrKatharsis posted:

How did you find OCA? I'm thinking about taking it soon.

Honestly, they're a little "gotcha" oriented. The querying test is a pain in the rear end, as it is pretty pedantic and a race against time. They are testing things that you don't really need to know in the real world, like memorizing function syntax. The admin test has a lot of questions that are basically written to trick you. Don't get me wrong, if you know the material you will pass it, but they're fairly frustrating tests.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

hayden. posted:

Thanks for that, I blame being really tired today. Considering my current job doesn't use MySQL and I'm pretty familiar with what appears to be a lot of the subject matter, and my current job also doesn't use Oracle and I don't know if a future one will, should I focus on CCNA or maybe MSCA instead? I was hoping to find something a little related to my current job tasks, which I guess the MSCA for SQL Server would, so maybe I should try that.

Just going to reply to your last few posts in general. I work as a DBA, previously in Oracle and currently in SQL Server. People give Oracle a lot of poo poo, mostly because they don't understand it. They think because they know a smaller scale system like MySQL or SQL Server they'll be able to function in it, and that is just not anywhere near the case. Oracle is the Unix of the RDBMS world. Most people don't know how to use it, it's overly complicated and difficult to learn, but once you know it it is the most powerful system in its category.

That being said, you really shouldn't try to jump into the RDBMS world with Oracle, because it really is harder to learn and use, there's not much of a community around it, the company itself is awful and, as stated, the tests are a bitch. The jobs also tend to sort of suck. They pay more, but the environment will be either government (which I personally hate working for) or some other equally soul-crushing mega-corporation.

On a more general level, if you don't work in IT, and never have, transitioning from being a data analyst to a DBA isn't really viable. You'll need a lot of steps in between. Generally, there are two groups of people who become DBAs: developer and experienced sys admins. You need to understand hardware, the OS and a decent bit of development practices to be a good DBA - probably also web applications/servers and network infrastructure to a lesser degree, depending on what you're doing. If you're lucky, you can train under a senior DBA after putting in some time as a sys admin.

I don't mean to discourage you, I would actually say if you're interested you should really go after it. It's a great career and extremely rewarding and interesting work. Just be aware it's not something you can read a couple of books, pass a test or two, and be ready to do. Feel free to PM me if you feel like it.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

hayden. posted:

Thanks for the detailed response, I really do appreciate it. Got an email I can use instead since I don't have PMs (or you can just email me if you don't want to post it here: haydendotsa@gmail.com).

It is a little discouraging since I had the impression (obviously incorrect) that a DBA would be an easier and more entry level position than a sys admin, but I'll take it private with you since that isn't really what this thread is about.

Sure thing, hit me up at Graves138 at gmail dot com

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

This probably isn't the best thread to continue this discussion, but I find it interesting. I've found that people have a very wide range of what they consider to be a DBA, so I'm not at all surprised to see the varying opinions. Always interesting to get the opinion of other professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

joe944 posted:

With all the talk of the DBA certs in the last couple of pages, were there any recommended books or study guides that people have used?

The Oracle Certified Professional for MySQL admins looks to be what I want to take, and also seems like the associate cert isn't required? Is that correct? Anyone else taken the 1Z0-873 and 1Z0-874?

I've got the regular OCP, but have never looked at any MySQL stuff. I generally use Sybex study guides.

I don't know any particulars about the MySQL tests.