Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Anyone care to chime in on how long it takes (hours or otherwise) to do some of the certs like N+, S+, CCNA? I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go in my career path so at the bare minimum I want to finish N+ to build a solid knowledge of networking concepts then move onto something like server administration, virtualization, etc. Ideally I'd like to have N+, S+ and RHSCA all within 6 months and then move onto other certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

Corvettefisher posted:

That's a really loaded question.

How much experience do you have in said area's?
How (quickly) do you learn?
You say you are still trying to figure out stuff, but what interests you right now?

Getting a bunch of certs if fine, but if rush through them only going for the test requirements, you might miss out on learning some of the important concepts that will help you day to day.

Little in networking, nada in security and pretty entry level Linux experience (just finished a class that had a good overview on Linux as a whole). Most of work history is hell desk / onsite tech. Currently I'm working for a small SaaS company but I'm not really doing any real IT work here outside of some scripting we use for various tasks. I'd just like to get my foot in the door as a jr sys admin with the hopes of moving onto something involving VMs and/or cloud computing. I've seen a few job listings for these types of jobs at various start ups in town that I'd probably be eligible for if, at the minimum, I had a more solid knowledge of networking fundamentals. I also have a B.S. degree so that's at least one HR hurdle out of the way.

I'm also not in a rush to leave this job because its actually a good company to work for but I know there's more lucrative options out there.

Mythical Moderate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 27, 2012

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

Thanks. I ordered one of the recommended N+ books earlier today. Once I feel comfortable with the material and get the cert I'll check out that RHCSA book and move on from there.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

That is kind of how I would approach it as well. I have a hard time learning straight from a book so mixing it up between reading and videos seems to help me the most.