Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
VMware is adding a certification tier below VCP, for those of you who don't have access to the course this might be a good way to make inroads.

http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2013/08/stand-out-from-the-crowd-vca.html

Earning VMware Certified Associate (VCA) certification demonstrates your foundational understanding of virtualization technology. You'll be more confident when interacting with your customers, colleagues, and management and be better positioned to take advantage of career opportunities in an evolving IT industry. Get started today!

e: The exam blueprint for the VCAD makes it look pretty damned easy

Differentiate physical and virtual storage
Explain the use of shared storage in a vSphere implementation
Differentiate VMFS and NFS datastores
Explain Thin Provisioning
Differentiate VMware disaster recovery/disaster tolerance technologies
Identify capabilities of Storage I/O Control
Identify capabilities of Storage DRS
Explain VMware virtual storage technologies

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tonight was the first meeting of my VCP class. I was really surprised by the demographics of it. Because the VCP requires the classroom component, I expected it to be 30 people like myself - relatively young, relatively eager. In actual fact, there were about 20 people who admitted to having no virtualization experience. They're apparently taking the class as a curiosity. In response to the question who works with vSphere on a daily basis, only me and one other guy said yes. Not what I was expecting at all.

keseph posted:

Woo. 70-465 down with a 906. Do I dare shoot for the 88-986 now?
I never stop being impressed by people who reach that level of anything. An MCSE in SQL Server, you play at a very high level.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What the nonsensical hell?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.
How you feelin about your VCP class? I'm a little disappointed in mine for the following reasons:

1) we're paired up, so we alternate tasks. I'm not as antisocial as being an IT person on SA might make you think, but I'd much rather work on my own, because I know exactly what areas are second nature and what I'd like to pay a little extra attention to.

2) we're skipping some pretty big areas. He's already confirmed that we're not getting to dvswitches or DRS. Bleh.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The fact that the VCA is so easy that people are taking it as a laugh is a source of great amusement for me. If it's that easy, after I knock out this VCP class and get that, the next day I'll do the VCA as a way to unwind.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Certifications should be some sort of measurable knowledge beyond "being able to nod your head and look comfortable as smarter people talk."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Certs are worth whatever the 23 year old communications major screening your resume in human resources says they are. :smith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I got a call (from an actual person) and an email. I'd already joined another VCP class so I didn't need it, but it's nice to see they're working through the waitlist.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Organization and standards? Those are awfully abstract. Project management? CAPM then PMP?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Trying not to spend $1400 on a 2nd lab box which would have 64gb of RAM. Between that and the existing, oh the things I could lab...

I'll ask a question which might be unanswerable but the worst that happens is that I'm told it's against the NDA and it's all good. For the VCP, do I need to worry about a lot of version specific configuration information? The test is on 5.1, but the latest documentation is on 5.5 - it's not a matter of me needing the 5.1, I simply want to spend this final month studying 5.5 if it's not going to hurt me, because that info is going to be relevant longer. At the same time, I don't want to know that the maximum size of a VMDK is 62TB and forget what it used to be, if the test expects me to know that it's 2TB.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Skipdogg you pussy stop being such a pussy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just signed up for 70-642 with a second shot and haven't even looked at the material in years because 70-642 is a wasteland of human misery, however this one test plus 70-417 will get me my MCSA for 2012, rather than needing all 3 of the 2012 exams, so might as well.

Any suggestions on what to concentrate on?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Jesus H freakin christ do I hate 70-642.

I was woefully unprepared - my brain is the kind where I'll at least remember a concept. If there's a question about BranchCache, okay maybe I won't remember how to set it up, or how to troubleshoot it, but I'll at least know what BranchCache is and hope to fumble through it on logic and charm. But there were multiple topics on the exam where I was like, don't know what that is, don't know what that is, I've never seen that word before. This tells me that the Microsoft Press book alone is just a horrible way to prep for the exam, which is of course a frustrating thing to find out after sitting it.

Free second shot exam, I'm going to take it on March 14th and either pass it or throw a fit the likes of which Prometric has rarely seen.

e: I don't know, the test is a little older but it's simpler for me to get this then upgrade to 2012 via one test than start over. Does anyone have any recommended resources for 70-642 which are up to date? It seems like they revised the test not too long ago, maybe one final revision before it gets retired this summer.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 28, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

penga86 posted:

As far as third party publishers, I've always found the Exam Cram series of books better at distilling the information into flashcard sized chunks that are easier to retain. That being said, I've still been unable to pass the 70-640/642/646, so take my advice with a pound of salt.
Yeah, problem is that the Exam Cram 70-642 book is like 5.5 years old at this point. I'm not finding any books that are as up to date as the test is.

And yes, Psydude is the most amazing person!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Muslim Wookie posted:

So anyway, since I want to fund this cert myself because I hate being "in debt" to an employer
Fix your terrible perspective, bro.

You don't owe them poo poo. Myself, I'm taking an 5 day class, for free, that would normally* cost a little under $3,000. I don't owe my employer anything for this, I consider it part of my salary. They want me to stay up on the latest, this is how they do it.

* - one of those Microsoft 5 day courses. I can't imagine anyone actually pays full price for these things, though. Not a lot of out-of-work people going to these, I'd think, probably a lot like me, vouchers through their company, who I assume gets some amazing % off.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 3, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am going to ask you guys a question that only I can answer myself. Yet I can't decide.

My end goal is the 2012 MCSE. This will happen. Currently, I have 2 of 3 tests done for the 2008 MCSA. The remaining test is 70-642, universally regarded as not only the hardest, but the most irrelevant. I am having a lot of trouble getting motivated for it since I want to focus my attention on 2012.

I see two options:

1. I grow up and complete 70-642. After this, I can upgrade to a 2012 MCSA by passing 70-417. Then to an MCSE with 413 and 414. Total tests: Four.

2. I say sod it and go straight to 2012, completing 70-410 411 412 413 and 414. Total tests: Five.

Which should I do?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If it won't take too long (however inconvenient) to get I would go for the first route, getting your 2008 first. That way you can put down on your CV that you have an MCSA at least, and 2008 is still widely relevent.

Swink posted:

I'm in the same situation and I'm going for 2008 first because of the reason stayed above, also I'm way way more familiar with 2008 than 2012 and I feel that will be helpful.
Hey I'm no goon in a well, I know good advice when I hear it. I think you're both right, I'd be better served staying buckled down on 70-642 than jumping to 2012. Thanks for chiming in.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

sudo rm -rf posted:

I literally cannot imagine what could be more fundamental or introductory than A+. I'm sure you'll be fine.
A member of my extended family recently posted about how they were able to earn a diploma (note: not even a 'degree') online in less than an hour in C because they took BASIC in school 30 years ago. So there's that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrBigglesworth posted:

Paging MC Fruit Stripe, how did you score?
On 70-642? I took it 3 weeks ago and failed it because the test is not passable. The first week after it I was studying hardcore, flying up and down Technet, having the time of my life. The last 2 weeks I've done no studying because I have been Busy As gently caress. At some point I will simply give up and lie about having it like everyone else I've ever met.

OH MY THAT IS A SEXY SPREADSHEET ABOVE ME

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 18, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

TKovacs2 posted:

I'm still waiting for there to an actually decent book released for any of the exams...
For god's sake, seriously. In the old days it was "here's a new cert, here's the books", now they actually expect us to figure these things out on our own or something. It's not right I tells ya!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I ever meet James Conrad I am going to smack the poo poo out of him.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Scan your notes and post them you son of a

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Foundations doesn't even seem complicated enough for 5 days - especially when you look at the flip side and see entire teams going to a 5 day VMware VCP course.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Definitely PluralSight - I find that they're releasing videos which I'd consider more advanced. Whereas CBT Nuggets will give you a nice "this is what I need for my cert" video, so you can go search for like 70-412 and find something, you're going to find that 80% of the video is poo poo that everyone already knows. Oh wow that's a PTR record? Thanks I'm home free on my MCSE...

On the flipside, Pluralsight usually deals in specific topics rather than exams. Note the difference in some MSSQL lessons:

CBT Nuggets: 70-462 - Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
CBT Nuggets: 70-463 - Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Pluralsight: Optimizing OLTP and Data Warehousing with SQL Server 2014
Pluralsight: SQL Server Optimizing Ad Hoc Statement Performance
Pluralsight: SQL Server Transactional Replication Fundamentals

For that reason, I like Pluralsight, because CBT Nuggets seems to assume no prior knowledge, whereas Pluralsight is closer to a deep dive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psyopmonkey posted:

Just got a job offer in downtown Portland for 87k working with a worldwide logistics company (network and enterprise services engineer).

I looked on Indeed and it seems like a pretty ok salary. What is everyone else making and in what area?
I feel like you meant to make this a hilarious post in the Working in IT thread given our current topic over there but you kinda missed.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My suggestion for VCP5 study books are the free resources provided by VMware at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-pubs.html

Read everything linked from that page. It'll take you through VCP5 and 3/4 to VCAP. Much like most Microsoft Press books are simply condensed rehashes of what you can get for free on Technet, I've started believing that VCP prep is just a condensed version of the vSphere support pubs.

Page counts for PDFs vs the VCP5 guide, comparing a PDF to its closest corresponding chapter in the guide:

VM administration - 236 vs 88
Storage - 274 vs 76
Resource Management - 138 vs 100
Networking - 194 vs 86
Monitoring - 174 vs 62

More pages means more information means more prep, but more importantly, more knowledge.

Oh, re: 510 or 550, I've already confirmed you can take either test regardless of which course you took, and I'd always recommend 550 because it's newer and more relevant. No sense in not being up on the latest.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Download the exam blueprint if you don't know what's on the exam.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=45082&ui=www_cert

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Bombed the exam - 256 out of 500. Need 300 to pass. I got hammered on the networking and storage portions. Not one single loving question about theoretical stuff like what licensing would you need to get if you want this particular feature. No minimums or maximums. 40 questions about practical knowledge and troubleshooting of storage and networking. The study guides I used were all a loving joke. I really need to sit down and re-evaluate my current setup so I can do a nested ESXi layout and maybe grab a NAS device to serve as a poor man's SAN, because my lab in Workstation just did not cut it.

And not that it's an excuse, but when I rescheduled the exam a month or so ago I managed to change the testing site, so I arrived 20 minutes early at the wrong site, find out the correct one is on the other side of town, hit every red light on the way, and show up 15 minutes late pissed as hell and completely unsettled. I knew everything was going to pot the moment the girl at the wrong site told me "I'm sorry, but you're not on our list today."

Well, at least I know that I suck at storage - that's got to be worth at least 60 points right there.

DAF - you mentioned you might be able to hook me up with a discount voucher. Any chance of that still?
Sorry :(

You lacked two important pieces of testing knowledge.

1. There are no config minimums or maximums on the exams as those numbers changed between 5.1 and 5.5 and the test is version neutral.
2. You can not be early or late for the test as the person at the testing center can give and honest to god gently caress if you show up or not, so you panicked before the exam even began when you could have had a nice leisurely drive, and surely that hurt a little bit.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
70-413 is not an exam to take as your first Microsoft exam. Your boss is trying to get you killed.

The R2 books for 70-413 and 70-414 are not even out yet, and even when they do come out, based on page count alone they won't be nearly enough to pass the exam. I think you need to go to the official exam website and look at objectives, then memorize Technet re: those topics.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 13, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tell him that 70-413 is an expert level exam which builds on the knowledge gained in 70-410, 70-411 and 70-412 and that you and the company would be better served by working through the track in the intended order.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even know what a Sec+ is, can you give me some sense of what it actually covers? SSH is good?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If "MCSE" is still a thing on resumes which can refer to Server 2000 or Server 2003, I promise you that you'll be okay with RHCE6 :)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

deimos posted:

MSDN posted a shitload of reference books for free download.
Holy loving poo poo - most of those are terrible and introductory and stupid, but there is a PDF in that list which is worth its weight in gold. Technet has the ability to export articles to PDF or HTML. The problem is that it is limited to 200 articles, which seems like a ton, but often Technet articles are 3 bullets and a few links. So if you try to export something say, "DHCP in Server 2012", that's 250 articles even though maybe 20 of them are substantive. It's a nightmare.

Well sir, one of the free books they're offering appears to be a giant Technet dump of all Server 2012 and R2 content. 8,709 pages. Just the sexiest thing you'll ever see, especially since the 2012 R2 exam books which have been released aren't exactly thorough and you need to go to Technet anyway - well boom, there you go, all the content in one downloadable PDF.

Load the page and search "Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 TechNet Library Documentation"

Sidebar, does anyone know of the same PDF for 2008 R2? Would love to download all of that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm being too tough on it and coming across as though I don't appreciate it - I do! :)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wait... I recently took the first Server 2012 test and... well I didn't get the score I wanted. Are my books that I bought only a few months ago already out of date?
Frankly - almost certainly. There's I think 3 of the 5 MCSE R2 books released so far, and 2 of those just came out. I think the only one that's been out as far back as March was the 70-410 book.

Microsoft has changed how they write their exam books. For the 2003 and 2008 series books, the book was basically all you needed. Reinforcing concepts on Technet and self-study would give you an extra 50 or 100 points, but you could prooobably pass by rote memorization. For 2012, the exam books are now just a head start on your studying. A photographic memory for each exam book probably only gets you to 500/1000 at this point. You've got to go above and beyond the books now, which is why that Technet PDF I mentioned is going to be so critical, that's a wonderful resource.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What on earth is a Sharepoint shop?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
^ A dune buggy, my god you're terrible at analogies.

The network is slow and the servers are slow. Pick one of these problems to fix and get that certificate.

Also yes, never get the VCA. A certificate is worth the knowledge you gain (none) and the respect it demands (none). Also, I wouldn't get the MCSA and the RHCSA, I'd much rather focus the time potentially spend on one to reach engineer level on the other.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 26, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

:ohdear: I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I apologize.
You can make it up to him by telling me the best way to play Warcraft on public servers for free if I just want to putz around once in a while. A monthly subscription is so committal, I just want to nostalgia run Molten Core once in a while.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I want to fist bump you and knock back some beers. I've not doubled back to 70-642 but I still just do not give a drat about that test or trying it again. I want my 2012 MCSE and it's objectively quicker for me to do 70-642, 70-417, 70-413 then 70-414, but screw that, I might just start over all on 2012 because nope, 70-642, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
At this point it can't hurt, I'll read a bit of that book and see if it re-motivates me, thank you.