Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

BPDUguard.

Beat me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Scheduled the Sec+ for next Friday. Time to get DoD8750/IAT II and start looking for jobs out in Maryland/NoVA. The Midwest is a wasteland for technical jobs.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Passed the Sec+ this morning. I hate the way CompTIA words questions on their tests. It's like they were written by a non-native English speaker.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

I was debating about just taking it, haven't studied at all but I did take a security+ class at my CC a while back.

If I were you I would probably just schedule it and go over the material over the next week. I think anyone with a solid IT background can study for a week and pass it. I just did it that way. IMO, there's too much minutiae that they will ask you about to go into it cold. For me, it's stuff I've known in the past but I don't retain little factoids if I don't use the information frequently. One run through of the study guide over a weeks time was sufficient.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

XakEp posted:

Just took it this morning myself. I originally took this test back in 2007, and I have to say it's gotten a lot harder. Some of the questions were poorly worded, and others just had me scratching my head as the answers really had nothing to do with the question.

That said, this test has come a long ways. You actually have to know more than just technical for this exam, you need to know the other domains as well.

For the record, I took it cold. I do not suggest that, as there were a few things on the exam I simply did not know. Most of it is fine if you have any actual experience.

I found that too. There were several questions in which there were two "right" answers but you're instructed to choose the one that is BEST. Problem being, it's tough to determine which one is best when the question is just worded very poorly.

I don't see the value in trying to play word games with a technical certification test. Ask the question, get the answer - people either know it or they don't know it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

hooah posted:

In the Lammle Network+ chapter on networking devices, he shows network diagrams that have some switches connected to another switch, with the hosts connected to the secondary switches. He doesn't explain this (at least not in this chapter), so what is the reasoning here? Why wouldn't you just connect the four hosts to one switch, instead?

He's probably representing distribution and access layer switches.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

doomisland posted:

Can't believe people use classfull addressing still. Just to let know if you mention classes around a bunch of network engineers they'll probably laugh at you. What I'm saying is make sure you understand CIDR :)

I'm having the opposite issue. After so many years of not using classful addressing I'm having a hard time making my brain subnet the way Lammle/Cisco wants me to do it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell is business intelligence exactly?

Knowing how to take it in the rear end from a C-level with a smile. :downsrim:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Scheduled the CCNA for 2/27 so it's all study all the time for the next two weeks. Mama wouldn't be happy if I went in and wasted her $300 bones on a swing and a miss.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I'm into my final study stretch for the CCNA today and tomorrow. Testing on Wednesday morning and feeling pretty solid about it. 90% plus average on the Lammle and other practice tests and I'm filling in a few minor gaps here and there this afternoon/tomorrow.

It'll be a big step forward in picking up and moving out of the Midwest to go live closer to my parents and brother's family in Maryland, plus my wife's sisters family in NoVA. That's my motivation.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Passed the CCNA this morning 920/1000. The EIGRP lab bugged out on me so I lost some points on it. Might take a look and see if I can appeal the lost points just for grins. Otherwise, glad to have it behind me. Onward and upward...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

FungiCap posted:

Congratulations! May I ask, did you feel pressured for time by the end?

I only started to sweat a little bit when the EIGRP sim wasn't working for me. Sims are a big part of the weighted scoring so I definitely missed some points there. I think there was about a half hour worth of time left after I was done with the test.

This is coming from a person who has been working for a MSP/carrier level network for several years, though. Your mileage may vary if you don't have a bit of experience behind you. Granted, I was pretty deliberate about going through all the options and reading everything so I wasn't exactly trying to set the record for the quickest CCNA ever.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I recommend the same material as in the OP. Todd Lammle's book is a lot easier to read, in my opinion. I thought Odom's book was very dry.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Canadian Maniac posted:

I just passed by the skin of my teeth with 828 ( first attempt, though I previously had just recently obtained my CCENT). I also had some issues with the EIGRP lab. I checked my work with my study guides when I got home and I had followed the correct configuration steps when writing but wasn't getting the proper results. Also encountered a bug with text getting cut off for my VTP simlet and no window adjustments or scrolling would fix it. I'd raise a stink about it had I narrowly failed. That EIGRP lab caused me to also be in a time crunch for the last half of the exam.

Why take ICND1 and then the 640-802? Long story involving vouchers, but I paid nothing as everything was covered by work.

Congrats! Sounds like we really should send an email questioning whether that EIGRP lab was bugged or not. I'm pretty confident that I had it configured properly.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

bigperm posted:

A friend of mine is looking into http://www.mycomputercareer.com which is a 8 month course that costs 20k (which includes the costs of the exams and a laptop) that gets you A+, N+, a bunch of microsoft certs and CCNA. I think that sounds like an incredible amount of money for this but I admit I don't know much about it. Anyone willing to look at the site and tell me if it's a scam?

Considering that you can pick up the books for all of the certifications combined for about $75 I would say, yes, it's a scam. If not outright a scam it is egregiously overpriced. They better be pretty impressive instructors to provide $19,925 worth of utility.

A+ and N+ can be studied for by someone not currently in IT and passed within a month. I'm being generous.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Thirteenth Step posted:

Packet Tracer is great but doesn't get much of a mention on here. Always wondered why.

I used packet tracer pretty much exclusively for my CCNA studies. It was perfectly capable of doing everything required for the CCNA and more. There are some quirks - like it doesn't accept some widely used abbreviations in syntax, etc. Overall though, it's a really useful study/lab tool.

The only reason I'd ever suggest building a lab with physical gear is if you're completely new to the networking world and want to get your hands on the real thing.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

routenull0 posted:

If you could knock out something like Security+ you could open a few doors with government contracting job....given you can obtain and hold at least a Secret clearance.

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, that seems difficult unless I was already in the military.

I made an attempt to go this path without any prior military or security clearance and it's been a tough road. They just aren't interested in you unless you have a pre-existing clearance, in my experience. Granted, the sequester may be throwing things off a bit.

My experience applying for clearance jobs distilled -

1) Apply for job I'm clearly qualified for (requires secret clearance)
2) Have contractor recruiter reply to me asking if I already have a clearance, "I didn't see that listed on your resume."
3) Reply to recruiter saying that I am not currently cleared but could easily be cleared since I have a clean background
4) Never hear from them again
5) Repeat about 100 times

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 19, 2013

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

My only experience with Citrix was being on the MSP/ISP side of the support equation - "It's slllloooooooowwwwwwwwww!". Everyone. Every. One. No matter how much bandwidth they had said it was slow.

gently caress you.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

It's very common to have Frame Relay T1's at smaller remote MPLS WAN sites here in the Midwest. I worked for a MSP that sold a ton of Frame Relay T1's still even just last year. The further out a business is from a cities' metro area the more likely it is that their only option is going to be T1's (99% of them delivered via FR).

My current outfit has Frame T1's out at their sales offices (~50 of 'em) - they just install a Cisco WAVE device and it works just fine.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Gap In The Tooth posted:

I would say the CCNA is a basic and fundamental certification for anyone who takes their work in enterprise IT seriously, regardless of specialization.

Well, if they did that how could the systems guys point at the black network box as the problem when something goes wrong?

It's **the network** :allears:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

psydude posted:

Scheduled ROUTE (again) for two Saturdays from now. So here's hoping that I don't wind up flushing another $200 down the drain.

Good luck. I'm going to try to take it later on this Fall, I think. I'm still in that post CCNA, "I don't want to study anymore" funk.

A brand new baby daughter and new gig doesn't help that ambition.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

Hoe feasible is it to get an entry-level networking tech job with the intention of obtaining certifications for CCENT/CCNA for someone who has 2 years of help desk experience? I'm under the impression that the entire point of those certs is to get that job position, but I figured I'd ask. :downs:

You can do like I did and work for a regional CLEC/MSP and come up from helpdesk into network engineering. Or try, at least... I was one who progressed into higher positions while a whole poo poo ton of folks either stayed in helpdesk or washed out of the IT business entirely.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Congrats duder!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've paid for all of my certifications out of pocket. My prior employer offered to fund my CCNA but also wanted me to sign a one year contract to do so.

Hmmmmmm, $300 or chained down to this hell hole for one more year of hell. Tough decision.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

dotster posted:

Without some sort of salary increase or a bonus as part of the deal for passing I would only do this if I was very new to IT, probably first year in networking.

I effectively told them to eat me. Took the test, passed with flying colors, and job jumped for almost $20K in raises.

Don't settle, kids.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Every technical class I've ever taken at a community college is led by an instructor exactly as skipdogg described.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

moron posted:

How do you go about listing a CCNA on your CV? Do you just put 'CCNA Switching and Routing 640-802', or are you expected to provide candidate numbers and all that so that it can be checked by a prospective employer?

I just list "Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)" and the month and year I obtained it. At my current gig they asked for my Cisco ID number after I was hired so they could use it toward their partner status.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Agatsu posted:

Of those, OSPF is on the test (along with RIP and EIGRP). No BGP MPLS or IS-IS, save maybe one random IPV6 question about what address IS-IS broadcasts on. Lots of switching/stp stuff. Other than that, lots of trivial stuff, you would be able to pass with a minimal amount of study I would think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take a CCNP test I think that resets the clock - even though you need 3 to have the CCNP in full.

He allowed his CCNA to lapse so he has to start over. CCNA is a prereq for the CCNP.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Do you store arcane information about physical security in your brain? If so, no need to brush up.

Knowing your post history, you do, and you might as well go take it. It's not going to mean anything to anyone outside of DoD or other government IT, though.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

psydude posted:

His ROUTE book is one of the most boring things I've ever read.

It's so crushingly boring I'm looking for *any* alternative and cannot find any. The only thing I can figure is that Lammle doesn't write a CCNP ROUTE book because it just doesn't sell enough copies.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

The INE videos seem to strike a balance between spaz Jeremy and dry Odom. It's not all-encompassing but it's a good middle ground. They're nice if you can track them down.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

You can do basically everything in the CCNA in Packet Tracer. If you want a fully accurate representation of all the commands in the router - setup GNS3.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've stop/started on CCNP ROUTE so many times now. I did pick up another E-book and that one is a little better than Odom, I guess. His writing is so unbelievably dry that it cannot keep my attention.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

psydude posted:

Passed TSHOOT with a perfect score and am now officially a CCNP. It was probably the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. Next up: CISSP.

Congratulations! I hope to join your ranks this Spring yet.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

The Microsoft interviewers hit you pretty hard on those topics, psydude?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

So I'm getting up the courage to take the SEC+ now that the class will be done on Monday, I have a voucher, but my eyes jumped out of my head to see the normal cost at $293! WTF.

You also have to pay a $50 a year renewal fee if your company doesn't provide a voucher for it. (Mine does...)

It's a true racket.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've personally seen a ~10,000% return on the cost of taking the CCNA test so I'd say it's worth it. If the CCNP ends up having that kind of return I'll be extremely happy.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Gross. I've delayed my CCNP ROUTE test umpteen times because I can't get through the stereo manual that is his official Cisco Press book.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I think I'm going to pursue some wireless certs this winter just for the heck of it. CCNA Wireless and Aruba Wireless since that's what I use every day. Anybody take either of those and have personal experience to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Jarheads pass the Sec+ on the regular after "studying" for a week. You'll be fine. If some of the clowns that work at the same base as I do have passed it; anybody can pass it.