Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A+/N+ and a B.S. in computer science are completely different skill sets for completely different jobs. You'd probably be better off rounding out your linear algebra or calculus skills if you want to prepare for what appears to be a fairly rigorous program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
How did you find OCA? I'm thinking about taking it soon.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
What database system does your company use? If you're a data analyst, you may want to check into a Microsoft reporting/BI cert as a bridge into a more techy role. You should consider yourself lucky that you're not shoehorned into an Oracle track. Their tests are maddening.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Where I live, there are literally hundreds of job postings for analysts with SQL Server Reporting Services skills. The MS business intel certs appear to have a fair amount of DBA type knowledge required anyway:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/sql-certification.aspx

If you're looking for a sysadmin job, CCNA and Red Hat will get you there. You may need a lateral transfer to tech support to get your foot in the door though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Xenoletum posted:

Just got back from the exam center myself, once again the simulations are what threw me off a bit, but I just took a breath and focused.

Getting my official certificate in 5 business days soon. Hell yeah. Now to just update the resume.

If there were a Harvard for SysAdmins, you would be there on a scholarship. That is pretty bad rear end.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
oreilly.com eBooks are 50% off today with the coupon code DRM2013. The books are DRM free, meaning you get PDF, MOBI, et cetera files that are not tied to a specific device or account. I just bought some books for certs that I had been putting off for a while.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Failed 70-680 with a 680. I was doing pretty well until I got hit with a bunch of IPv6 stuff. I made the mistake of glossing over the networking chapter since I have my CCNA.

Now I have an afternoon in Seattle, where's this legal weed?

Try the park just north of pike place market. Sorry about the exam man.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
LPIC-1 and Linux+ have a formal equivalency so you can expand your shopping into CompTIA materials as well.

It's a different cert than what you asked for, but I found this book to be very well written and easy to follow.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Baconroll posted:

Passed the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Database 11g exam earlier this week. The exam content is about 65% just RMAN/backup/recovery/flashback and then small chunks of memory management/tuning/scheduler/resource manager to top it up to 100%.

My main tip for preparing for this exam is to try everything on a crash and burn test database. I must have done 100 backups/restores and tried all the scenarios to cause failures and fix it for real.

Thanks for this. I'm studying for Oracle certs myself. I'll shell out for the Transcender practice exams and report back.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Vaccuss posted:

Hello all,
I would like to know what you all recommend in the way of databasing certs. Quick overview is that I am nearly finished an education degree (I.T major) but due to availability I was not able to pick up any database subjects and it is an area I will need to teach.

I have looked at the MS SQL path in the OP but I was wondering if that teaches the database design entity/relationship mapping(?) concepts.

What level are you teaching? If you're teaching high school, nobody will need to know anything past basic joins, which you can teach yourself in a few hours. If it's higher level, you probably just want to teach straight from a real textbook.

The industry certs focus largely on syntax and have very little in the way of design.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Collector posted:

is there any point in getting the Microsoft database certifications? Seems that the oracle carts are more in demand

I imagine this varies city by city. Here in Seattle there are about ten SQL Server DBA job postings for every one Oracle DBA posting.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I swore off alcohol until I passed my test. Worked wonders.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I didn't retain poo poo. I barely passed the A+ and I'm deep in IT infrastructure now. Just keep trying, even when you're discouraged. Perseverance pays off in this industry.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It sounds like his boss wants him to learn to be a SQL Server admin, not learn the structured query language.

The first is a pretty involved process and will take months or years. The second is easy and yeah it's awesome to have on a resume.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
All true but we're talking about a windows/VM admin here. He's not providing feedback to devs, he's being asked to save some billable hours. Query language expertise doesn't appear to be part of the request.

MJP: if you're not interested in a DBA career, you probably want something like SQL Server in a Month of Lunches rather than a full blown set of MS certs. It's a surprisingly decent book.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MJP posted:

I honestly couldn't possibly care less about SQL - my real interest is in the Windows/VMware side of things

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Powershell 3 in a Month of Lunches is the bomb. I'm an Oracle on Linux guy and I still love it.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 18, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Which OCA exam? I passed the oracle database administration OCA (1Z0-052) with the help of the official book, the packt publishing book (which is good) and the legal, oracle sanctioned transcender practice exams.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

hitachi posted:

I am seriously considering going back to school just to get back in the study mindset. I work a job where I could study for hours almost every day but I am so complacent it makes me feel like poo poo.

This is from last page but you should totally do it. I personally function better at all areas of life when working towards a solid goal like a class or a cert.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Race Realists posted:

im guessing nobody here has used Lynda for cert studying?

Lynda seems to me to be about learning common tasks and applying them, whereas the cert materials are about memorizing the nit picky crap they ask you on the exam. Lynda is good but definitely not thorough enough to be your only resource for cert prep.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tab8715 posted:

Crap. It's already November, time to get cracking.

God drat it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Anyone used the Sander van Vugt RHCSA/RHCE 7 book? Should I just wait for Jang?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Alder posted:

Eh out of curiosity how do you afford the certs in the first place? Looking at my crystal ball it's extremely expensive for the most entry-level (I'm halfway done with A+) exams.

Other than me waiting for free college in the next few yrs :bernget:

If you're in this position then you almost certainly qualify for financial aid. Check out the IT offerings at your local community college. They may offer programs aligned with the CompTIA/Cisco exams.

Edit: If you take 6 credits per semester you qualify for part time and the government pays the interest on your student loans.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 20, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
According to Amazon the Jang RHCSA/RHCE book has been pushed back to April. Guess I'm postponing my exam.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

LochNessMonster posted:

Unfortunately nobody anwsered this one, so I'm bumping it. Anyone have experience with the RHCSA fast track?

I've been playing around with linux for over 15 years, but it's exactly that: playing with it. I only have a very limited experience with it professionally. A few years back I did an LPI course but didn't get the certification.

Would it be a lot of effort studying for this, and which materials would you guys recommend? I think I've seen Yangs (?) mentioned for RHCE here before. Does he do RHCSA material as well?

I have both Jang's and Ghori's book for the RHCSA/RHCE. When building a home system for practice, Ghori gives you a much more structured set of instructions (around networking in particular), whereas Jang basically says "just get it installed." I haven't started on the practice exams yet but I'm liking both books. Since it's all hands on, it's absolutely worth studying for. It doesn't feel like a chore like studying for a multiple choice test. I'm actually enjoying it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A CS degree is the best cert you can get.

Linux administration certs might be a leg up for a dev ops role.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The person they hired to set up the server was one of the campaign staff. That is: someone other than a Google devops wizard. He probably has his Sec+ though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Spectracide posted:

Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

How quickly did they email you the score? I was told three business days but it's been a full week and nothing but silence. I just sent them a support ticket.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Same day as me! You didn't happen to take it in Bellevue, WA by any chance?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Passed the RHCSA, 300/300. I used Safari Books Online free trial to watch the Sander videos, and read both Jang and Ghori. A few of my changes didn't survive rebooting so hoorah for checking everything twice. I read all the instructions all the way through before starting and I used the man pages a lot. The nmtui is cool and good.

If I go for the RHCE (though I really should do OCP next) I will definitely pay money for the Sander videos. That dude is a hero. I'm pretty pumped though and I would like to do RHCE just to see how far I can go. The next few chapters of Jang and Ghori look interesting and not too hard.

Red Hat has been having trouble with Microsoft email accounts(live, hotmail, outlook.com), so I didn't get the results email initially, nor did I get the replies to the inquiries I sent using that email. I had to call them up and give them another address. The waiting was pretty teeth clenching but I'm happy with the result overall.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The RHCSA was cool and fun. The practice exams did a good job preparing me for the test (which I took in the Pacific northwest).

I got my practice exam completion times down to under an hour without reference material, which was a huge help because I had tons of time to reboot and double check at the end.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 6, 2017

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

LochNessMonster posted:

This is what I'd like to do as well. What resource for practise exams did you use?

I just used the exams out of the Jang/Ghori books. Once you get a feel for them, you can construct your own.

PM me and we can discuss more.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Thanatosian posted:

The job I've been promoted into seems like a good way to move my way into being a DBA (probably Oracle), but I've heard it's much easier to pass the Security+ exam immediately after Network+; is it worth going for my Security+, or if my intended direction is to become a DBA, am I better off getting out of the entry-level CompTIA stuff, and starting on some Oracle certs?

Oh loving lol. PM me if you run into any weird Oracle stuff. I'll do my best to walk you through it.

The starter Oracle cert is basic SQL programming. After that comes the OCA DBA which is where the admin work starts. Security+ does not even apply unless you're working for the DoD.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
With a finance background, you could do a lot better than entry level by learning SQL and applying around for BSA positions. Microsoft and Oracle both have starter certifications for SQL which nearly anyone should be able to complete.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A BSA is a business systems analyst, and they're the link between the business users and the back end developers. It can be a spring board into more advanced administration or development if you're motivated and a good self teacher.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

CHEF!!! posted:

If you have any other questions, ask away. I also have an 82-page MS Word document of my notes for the Solutions Architect video training that some people might be interested in...

Interested. I'm working through this course right now on Udemy. The 15-20 minute video segments are a struggle with my attention span. I do a lot better on courses with 4-8 minute videos.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I'm home studying for the RHCE right now. I just contacted Red Hat support and they said the exam would be on version 7.3. Glad I went to them straight because the testing center said "uh...the latest version" when I asked them. There are some differences with nfs-server and nfs-secure-server.

Good luck goon friend.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The foundational AWS Solutions Architect Associate cert is very broad, and very, very thin (except you do need to know about security group stuff). I'm halfway through the Udemy(aCloudGuru) course now and wondering if it's still worth my time, since I already learned what I need for my job.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

DropsySufferer posted:

I’m working on my last class to graduate at WGU. This loving SQL data management course. The project has to be perfect not just passing which isn’t the way WGU is supposed to be.2nd submission now...

I pass this then I have one more easier test and finally my degree. 33 days left!

These very forums have an excellent SQL questions thread. I follow it just to learn new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just passed my RHCE on the second try. I made one really bone headed mistake on the first attempt (forgot to enable mariadb) that resulted in a narrow fail, but this time I did a lot better on all sections, so I had a points buffer. Failing was miserable but having to really learn the material was a very good thing in the end.