Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Xenaero posted:

So if I shoot for A+, N+ and S+ you would figure that would be a good groundwork to get past the HR wall of death and have a potential interview? I have practical experience but no certs and I'm not landing anything. Would the certs really help that much?

Depending on your experience, yes. If you have like 3 or 4+ in a support role then not so much but it won't hurt.

If you have <2, which I did when I got my A+/N+ then your callback rate on jobs will increase tremendously. IT firms love that bullshit. I can't speak on the S+ but the OP already addresses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can some shitlord add the info for the Microsoft certs that keep getting recommend around here?

I know its something like 640 -> 642 and something else.

I'm looking at your Fruit Stripe.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is it better to just take the ICND1 then the 2nd exam later just to have the Entry-level network tech cert in the meantime? It seems like a good option and something to throw on the resume while you finish up for the full ccna.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I see CCNA poo poo on like every generic Network Tech/Engineer I position ever listed and on a lot of tiny sysadmin jobs so I think it would help a lot if you can get motivated enough to do it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think CBT Nuggets varies depending on who actually presents the material. That said, tech videos tend to be very boring anyway.

Also, can anyone recommend me books to learn Apache/MySQL optimizing? I'm working with a magento webhost now and while I have setup LAMP before I would like to know more tips and tricks if you will.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The A+ guides linked in the OP tell you pretty much what you need. There isn't much about port numbers on the A+ beyond common stuff like FTP, IIRC.

Though the Network+ has a bunch more. Mostly about cable types.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ah, ok on the DBs. Maybe I don't give a poo poo then since I am supporting a known web framework/app and its not like I can change customer's website for them (we don't develop the sites, we only support the hardware as a webhost).

Still probably a good book to check out.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 22, 2013

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I want each article of clothing I wear to have an IP address.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fatal posted:

Lets say every person on earth has 100 pieces of clothing (no way is this correct)

672 billion addresses. That's 1.62*10^-24th percent of the total number of internet allocated addresses.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=number+of+people+on+earth*100%2F+42+undecillion

Sweet, I'm going to have a different version of Java on each item, as well.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah I'm reading the Todd lammle book and all the classful poo poo is obnoxious because they will have a network diagram using a faithful classful architecture but everything is actually in CIDR.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What is medicine? Like are you a doctor or what.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Todd Lammle's CCNA book has a good explanation chapter.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Once you understand the binary portion of subnetting its pretty easy.

/18 derp derp

Oh look 18 1s!

OR

EDIT:

So block size is 64, so first subnet , say with 10.10.0.0 is -

10.10.0.0 -> 10.10.63.255 is the first ip range .

And the # of subnets it the masked bit count so 2**2 == 4.

Handy link: http://www.warriorsofthe.net/cgi-bin/subnets.pl?network=10.10.0.0&bits=18

Sylink fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Packet Tracer does eventually time out, but it takes like 2 minutes or something ridiculous.