Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm looking to dip my toes into a different field then I'm currently working in. I have about 10 years of experience in my current job which is functional/technical application administration.

I'd love to get a job in network/security but my current employer deems it unlikely I can roll into a job at the company I currently work for.

They did however allow me to take a training of my choice. Since a purely security gig seems more difficult to get I was thinking that CCNAis probably of better use to me right now than CEH or CISSP.

I'm in doubt which one I should take though. Should I go for routing and switching which seems like the best allround choice, or should I take security, which is closer to the field I'd like to grow into but might be more difficult to land a starting gig.

What would you guys recommend? I'm an EU goon, in case that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm looking to dip my toes into a different field then I'm currently working in. I have about 10 years of experience in my current job which is functional/technical application administration.

I'd love to get a job in network/security but my current employer deems it unlikely I can roll into a job at the company I currently work for.

They did however allow me to take a training of my choice. Since a purely security gig seems more difficult to get I was thinking that CCNAis probably of better use to me right now than CEH or CISSP.

I'm in doubt which one I should take though. Should I go for routing and switching which seems like the best allround choice, or should I take security, which is closer to the field I'd like to grow into but might be more difficult to land a starting gig.

What would you guys recommend? I'm an EU goon, in case that matters.

Unfortunately I didn't get any anwsers on above question, maybe because it's on the end of the last page. Anyone got any idea which CCNA would be the better choice, Routing & Switching or Security?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I would say get the R/S and look to expand that to a CCNP R/S in the future. A solid networking base will be invaluable in security fields.

Thanks for the anwser, could you elaborate on the reasoning behind it?

Is it because R/S will teach you the basic principles you'll apply everywhere, and the security certification focus will be mainly on securing networks using cisco devices?

I'll definitely want to get my CCNP when I get my CCNA, I just need to find an employer who'll pay for the training. Or are you guys doing it by self study mostly?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

This is difficult, but not impossible. Consulting firms are the most likely to pay you to get your CCNP, but getting hired by one as a CCNA is tough. Having a CCNP-level of knowledge in routing and security will increase your chances. And that takes either self study or investment of your own money.

But when you look at the average salaries of CCNP engineers, it should't be difficult to convince yourself that spending the money on self study is worth it. Having the CCNA is a great way to start out in the networking world, but I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to have a CCNP if you're a network engineer.

I'm gonna go get my CCNA R/S as that seems to give me the best opportunity to land me a gig at a consulting firm. It shouldn't really be a problem, I've been a consultant for about 8 years, but switched to a financial company after working there as a consultant for some time. The problem is, that I'm currently an expert in a field that's not hardcore network or security. I do have entry level knowledge both those fields, but no certifications to prove it so basically my experience is worthless unless a future employer knows that my previous jobs require a decent understanding of this.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

This is difficult, but not impossible. Consulting firms are the most likely to pay you to get your CCNP, but getting hired by one as a CCNA is tough. Having a CCNP-level of knowledge in routing and security will increase your chances. And that takes either self study or investment of your own money.

But when you look at the average salaries of CCNP engineers, it should't be difficult to convince yourself that spending the money on self study is worth it. Having the CCNA is a great way to start out in the networking world, but I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to have a CCNP if you're a network engineer.

Not entirely sure what CCNP engineers make, but I guess I'm already making similar money. It's just that my current job is boring as hell and I need to start doing something interesting for my own sanity. I'll go with CCNA R/S and try to land me a job at a consultancy firm that allows me to start CCNP asap.

Thanks for the advice!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What's the recommended course of action for CCNA R&S certification, going for 200-120 or doing both 100-101 and 200-101?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just booked my trainings for ccna r&s.

Should I go through the course by myself already or try to go in as blank as possible?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

crunk dork posted:

Pentesting sounds good but I'm not sure how in demand it is in the Midwest, I'd never really put much thought into the specifics of what I'd like doing more

Think good and long about what you want to do. I never did and am in the middle of switching focus to a different field. It's a hassle and I wish I had done this earlier in my career.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

crunk dork posted:

I don't wanna move to VA though... I'll look into CEH and OSCP both and see what appeals more as I'm finishing my degree. Might pursue the CCNP RS after grad if I'm still not entirely, it couldn't hurt.

CCNP RS never hurts and the knowledge will help you as pentester as well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

About 2 years ago I got into my network engineering position with a 22% raise, but no yearly bonus that year, or the next, when I got my CCNA, or this one. Company is too busy buying other companies and laying off those in mergers to give out raises. Dont know why I keep trying sometimes.

You keep trying because you know you'll hit that sweetspot when either you are the one who gets layed off, or when you get fed up enough to look for a new job yourself.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tab8715 posted:

What do you get out of learning ITIL or whatever?

Absolutely nothing except a checkmark on your skills box with some/many employers.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just had my first day of ICND1 training.

This is loving awesome.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Everything's all fun and games until wildcard masks anyways.

Finished day 3 and wildcard masks didn't bother me at all.

VLMS need some time to sink in though :iiam:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My company wants me to get RHCSA certified. I'm not sure if it's that useful for me but more certs are never bad.

How difficult is the exam?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

All of this ITIL talk is making me think. How long does the foundation cert last before you have to recertify or upgrade? I really dont want to study that poo poo again but I took it like a year and half ago now and would hate to let it lapse.

ITIL doesn't lapse afaik.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LochNessMonster posted:

My company wants me to get RHCSA certified. I'm not sure if it's that useful for me but more certs are never bad.

How difficult is the exam?

Unfortunately nobody anwsered this one, so I'm bumping it. Anyone have experience with the RHCSA fast track?

I've been playing around with linux for over 15 years, but it's exactly that: playing with it. I only have a very limited experience with it professionally. A few years back I did an LPI course but didn't get the certification.

Would it be a lot of effort studying for this, and which materials would you guys recommend? I think I've seen Yangs (?) mentioned for RHCE here before. Does he do RHCSA material as well?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Those CCNA changes are really badly timed. I've taken the (5k) classes in february and switched jobs a month earlier than I was planning to do. I wanted March to study and start a new job in April.

My new job asked me to get RHCSA and payed for a class last week but expect me to get the certification in the next few months.

I'd rather do CCNA first now, but I'm getting married this month, going on holiday for 3 week in july, and my wife has surgery scheduled for the beginning of August (we get to hear the date next week, not sure when exactly). Either way I'll be taking care of our children.

Which basically leaves me like 3 weeks to prepare and plan an exam in the beginning of August. If I fail I may be able to retry once.

I understand most of the networking concepts perfectly fine on a technical level but just need to get time in on practice. Time I don't know I have. I'm thinking about trying to study 0.5-1 day a week at work, which might be possible.

What would you guys do, say gently caress it and do the new CCNA later or give it a try now? If you guys have ideas on how to prepare or have a time/practise schedule I'd love to see them. I saw BaseballPCHikers notes a few pages back, which seem to be a good place to start.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks for that insight. I misread the cisco press release and thought you'd need to do retake icnd1 if you wanted to get CCNA after the 24th of September.

That said, I thought ICND2 was a lot easier than ICND1, but that might be because I took both classroom trainings with only 1 week in between so a lot of the first course was still fresh in my mind.

Thats also why I was just thinking about not bothering with CCENT and going for CCNA straight away.

Maybe I should just start prepping for 1 and see how much time I have left. If I think I can manage to learn both I can do that and book the ccna exam. Otherwise I'll settle for ccent.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just because I wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading you, I went back and double-checked. I'm betting you already did too, but just in case:

I did indeed, but thanks for double checking.

Too bad they are changing it so quickly though. Would've been so much easier if they extended it 2-3 months. Guess I need to start and get busy.

Already thinking about what I'll do after CCNA and RHCSA.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Leon Einstein posted:

I do care about the money. I've been offered the job to run the office as they are opening a new location out of state, but I'm not really excited about it. I want to deal with high end IT, not HR BS.

There are several ways out of your place and the good news is you can choos which one to take.

You could go the OS way and go for your MCSA / MCSE or RHCSA / RHCE depending if you like Windows or Linux better.

If you want to get into networking you can start with CCNA and later CCNP / CCIE. This will probably take you a lot longer than the OS route (ccie for sure).

With a lot of hands on experience like you seem to have, you could also try to land an Ops Engineer role in a DevOps team.

Or start learning Java/.Net and become a programmer. Landing jobs with no experience might be tricky though.

VCP is also something you can look at, but I know nothing about that track.

Try to figure out what you'd like to do and start making steps. It sounds like you have some time to study on the job, try to do that as much as you can. Once you've decided what you want to be when you grow up ;) we can give you pointsrs at what materials you could use.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 27, 2016

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you're not sure just pick one you think you like. If it's not your cup of tea you can pick another one. Nothing wrong having 2-3 entry certifications. Hiring managers / HR love that stuff and it'll give you a pretty good basis for anything.

Skip Network+ and go for CCENT/CCNA

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 27, 2016

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As for the lucrative financial side. There's a big hype on Big Data these days and if you are familiar with Python and R it sounds you already have the biggest requirements down.

Maybe start looking into Hadoop and Spark. Or check for a big data course on Coursera to see if thats the route you want to go.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

Where does one what has absolutely NO knowledge of programming even start? SDNs are gonna be a thing, so I am thinking I should learn something related to that, where to go? Python?

I started recently with automatetheboringstuff.com on adive of this thread. It's pretty good, I'm now looking into the University of Michigan course on coursera.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

On to RHCSA!

What's up RHCSA buddy.

My employer wants me to take RHCSA so I signed up for my exam on 27th of Janauary.

Already did a class training earlier this year, and got 3 weeks off to study since my client sends all consultants home for christmas.

When are you going to study for it, straight of the bat or first a little break?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Race Realists posted:

loving all the :smug: posts

very very STEM nerd like. tfs

Are you offended because you failed CompTIA exams multiple times?

:gary:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Spectracide posted:

Woot, passed RHCSA! 283/300. I thought it being practical was really fun. I used every minute and could've used more.

My employer paid for the 5 day rapid track classroom training. I was worried about the accelerated pace but the Red Hat instructor was excellent. I usually self study for certs with a book so I'm impressed in the amount of info that was condensed into 4 days. Plus you get the "this probably will/won't be on the exam" hints.

I just planned my exam, first open spot was in february though. How did you prep outside of the fast track?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Spectracide posted:

Not a whole lot (hopefully that comes as a relief!). Last week was my only week dedicated to the cert. I didn't think my prior Linux experience was that impressive (imposter syndrome?)...I rent/admin a VPS (CentOS 6) to host a couple personal websites and torrent, I experiment with different distros on my home desktop for fun every now and then (mostly a Windows guy), and more recently did some professional Linux application support. None of it was very "enterprise"-y.

Besides the classroom, Red Hat's book, and my notes, I used a CentOS 7 VM at home, Red Hat's objectives (do I know how to ____ ?), and this site to study. The objective overviews/practices there are pretty close to the ones in the classroom and the sample exam and sample quiz are OK too.

That's reassuring. Experience wise I'm in the same position, although I do have a little bit of enterprise experience.

I knew about certdepot but will certainly use it to study if it was usedul to you.

Thanks.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Martytoof posted:

CISSP exam tomorrow at eight. I put the book down. If I don't have the material by now I certainly won't in the next few hours. I'll probably go through my notes one more time tonight but no more cramming.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'll be damned if I jinx myself.

Let us know how it went, hope you made it through allright!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

sh1fty posted:

Okay let me rephrase for this thread. Will certs be enough to at least get my foot into most doors (even an entry level IT job), or am I wasting my time because my diploma isn't computer specific?

Entry level sure.

Entry level security, only if you are lucky.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

psydude posted:

New TSHOOT is pretty easy. Basically the same as the previous version, but they removed the ability to switch between tickets to see what changed in the config and added a few more IPv6 related questions.

Congrats on the renewal.

I've got my RHCSA exam planned in a month. I'm practising the parts I don't have that much experience with. Which is mostly SELinux.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

Me too. You aren't taking it in the PNW are you?

Nah, I live in Europe.

How's your prep going?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

Not bad, I'm just about finished with the Van Vugt book (RHCSA portion at least) I'm going to go back through and do all the labs again and then see how I do on the practice tests they provide.

I'm feeling pretty confident and I'm looking forward to a more practical, hands-on test than the CompTIA tests. The only certs I have right now are A+ and N+

I'm using the same book and am almost done wirh reading through the RHCSA part and doing all the exercises for the 2nd time. Highlighted a few areas which I'm going to practise a lot and then see how I do on a practise exam.

MrKatharsis posted:

The RHCSA was cool and fun. The practice exams did a good job preparing me for the test (which I took in the Pacific northwest).

I got my practice exam completion times down to under an hour without reference material, which was a huge help because I had tons of time to reboot and double check at the end.

This is what I'd like to do as well. What resource for practise exams did you use?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrKatharsis posted:

I just used the exams out of the Jang/Ghori books. Once you get a feel for them, you can construct your own.

PM me and we can discuss more.

Thanks for the offer, I just sent you a PM.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Are user extended attributes a thing I should know for RHCSA?

My book makes mention of them, I know I can set them with chattr and read them with lsattr, but I'm not sure in what kind of scenarios I could encounter this.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

1,5 week until my RHCSA exam. Three coworkers took the exam last week, 2 of them failed.

Time to double up on practise.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thom and the Heads posted:

I took it a couple years ago and failed, of course but I was a Linux babby. It seemed pretty straightforward to me - either you know how to start a bunch of services within RHEL the way Red Hat wants you to or you don't. I heard of one guy who couldn't figure out how to break into the OS without a password and broke down and started crying before getting up and walking out. This was RHEL 6ish I believe so I think it may be different now.

It's the same in RHEL 7. I can dream that procedure though. Sucks if you don't know that it's that big of a deal before taking the exam though.

It's just a lot of stuff I don't really have any experience with which is bothering me. Kickstart and virtualization mainly.

Got the basics covered I think (users/groups, systemd, filesystems and partitioning, networking, selinux).

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Passed the RHCSA exam I took this week. Wasn't too hard in general but autofs was a big pain in the rear end.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

Beyond just direct and indirect mounts? cifs shares that required credentials in the auto.master.d/something.auto files? Something more than that? I guess I should go back and reread that chapter.

Red Hat cancelled my exam for the third time but at least this time they told me about an unlisted place to take the exam near enough to me that I can do it. :shrug: what a fiasco - I had hoped to take this in January and be well into another cert by now.

Can't really go into details due to the whole non-disclosure thing but autofs was the thing I found most difficult while practicing.

Rereading it and practicing it until you can do it blindfolded would be a very good idea.

Sounds lovely they keep replanning yours. I wanted to do mine in January but booking it early November was too late already. This week was the first available option.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to bait you into breaking the NDA, but thanks. Hearing stuff like that just makes me nervous since I thought autofs was one of the more straightforward parts of the Van Vugt book. I'll go over it a few more time and make sure I have it waxed before whenever my test will be.

I'm trying to decide what to take on next. RHCE seems like a little much with zero real world linux admin experience. I'm in 70-41[0-2] classes in school right now, I guess I could go try for MSCSA if I felt like melting my brain memorizing a ton of PS cmdlets but I'm not sure that would do much to further my goal of getting a job doing cool cloudy container stuff after my internship. CCNA is in the future but my Cisco teacher pretty firmly believes I should shoot for one more cert (and another quarter of Cisco class) after RHCSA before I dive into CCNA prep.

My employer asked my complete department to get RHCSA certified and almost of all of them found autofs to be the most difficult part to master. No need to get get nervous, if you have more questions feel free to send me a pm.

I'm going to take a month or 2 off of studying and start looking into security related certs.

Tykero posted:

https://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-Study-Guide-100-105/dp/1119288789

Is this what I want to pick up to study for a CCENT?

Yes. If you plan on going for CCNA you might want to buy the "complete study guide" which covers both exams as well as the fasttrack

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

I haven't taken the CCNA yet, but I've actually heard the opposite.

Most questions on the CCENT are very easy, nobody has any problem passing the CCENT. If you take them separately you answer 45-55 easy CCENT questions, and then 45-50 harder CCNA questions. If you take the 200-125 combined test it's 50-60 questions, a good chunk of which will be taken up with easier CCENT level questions, leaving you with fewer harder questions to answer and even fewer that you need to answer correctly to pass if your base knowledge is solid. It's the method that was recommended by my Cisco teacher, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions who have already taken either of them.

This is what my teacher said as well.