Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Passed my AZ-900! :toot:

Going to go after AZ-104 and then look into the AI certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

sporkstand posted:

It's been roughly 100 years since I've had to take any kind of test in a structured, classroom setting and I need some practice. So, I'm currently looking at the AZ-900 'Azure Fundamentals' exam from Microsoft. I've been working with Azure/M365 in some capacity for the last 10 years or so and due to this I would consider my skill level with Azure to be intermediate, read: I know how to do stuff in Azure, but I know that there's a lot more to learn.
Would this be a good choice for me? Anybody here have recent experience with this exam? Any book or study material recommendations? Thanks!

If you haven't done any type of exam in a while, do the AZ-900 first to get a feel for how Microsoft does their exams. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Azure Training Day https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trainingdays/azure, you can get a free voucher for the AZ-900 if you take the virtual training course for Azure Fundamentals.
2. Do the Microsoft Learn course for Azure Fundamentals
3. John Savill on YouTube does a ton of study videos for Azure.
4. Find practice exams online to get an idea of how they word questions, a lot of times they'll be exam dumps so you'll get the same questions during your actual exam.

AZ-900 is a great starting point, after which you can go for AZ-104.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Passed AZ-104 this morning :toot:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats!!

What did you use to prep, and how did the exam compare to the prep?

Thanks!

Prep consisted of:

1. The Microsoft Learn modules which were very helpful: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/exams/az-104/
2. John Savill's AZ-104 crash course video - not too helpful but he does a good job at least going over what is covered on the exam
3. Exam dumps, exam dumps, exam dumps. Especially the ones found on ExamTopics: https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-104/

The exam was recently updated and it included a lot more questions about Log Analytics than I expected. The exam dumps are incredibly helpful and it helps you get used to the style and the format of how the questions are presented to you on the exam. The deeper you go into the world of Azure and Azure exams, do spend more time in labs and actually clicking around, reading material alone won't help you IMO. I'd say overall the way I studied, I felt about 70-80% confident about taking the exam and I passed with a 760 score (required to pass 700). I feel like if I spent more time on reading material and practical lab work (clicking around in the Azure portal, using Azure Storage Explorer, playing with RBAC permissions, etc.) I would have scored much higher.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 19, 2023

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Congrats dude but PLEASE either delete or censor that last Prep tip:unsmith:

No problem, I spoilered it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
How does the open book work? Restricted access via a built-in browser in OnVUE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I passed AZ-140, the Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty :toot:

Harder than I anticipated, but I only studied for about three days before I took the exam. I've built and currently manage AVD at my current job so I had a head start with three years of practical experience. The exam had more PowerShell than I anticipated. Definitely familiarized yourself with all the RBAC roles related to AVD, they come up a lot, if you decide to go for this cert.

Edit: I think I'll go for the double cert exams AZ-800 & AZ-801 next for the Windows Server cert. I've been a Windows sysadmin for 15+ years so with the Azure experience I feel like I'd be in a good position to tackle these.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 5, 2024