Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Kinda dumb question that I’ve been stuck on.

My title is senior network engineer, I’ve been in networking since 2017 and I want to get some certs.

I’m trying to figure out if I should go for both CCNA and CCNP, or skip CCNA?

I have looked over an outline of what’s covered by CCNA, and I feel like I could pass with a little bit of study, but I definitely have gaps in my knowledge that I’d like to fill, and I’m just not sure what study material I should use.

Basically, would I be wasting my money getting the CCNA, or would it be smart to make sure I have the foundation to do my CCNP?

If so, can anybody recommend how I might identify what I need to study for the CCNA, should I just grab a study guide and go through the whole thing to double check my current knowledge + fill in the gaps?

E: also for both CCNA and CCNP, are video courses a big help?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

guppy posted:

You probably can't skip helpdesk, with or without a degree. I do think it's valuable, it's good to see how people actually interact with computers and also get some experience with basic professional interactions.

Any job that requires a CCNA should pay well north of $50k. It's a perfectly fine place to start if you can pass it -- it's hard without experience, or at least it was -- but it probably still won't let you skip helpdesk.

Networking can be a difficult specialty to break into. For some reason it is an extremely popular thing for helpdesk people to decide they want to do, and there are always more interested people than there are available positions. I was once one of those helpdesk people, and now that I work in networking I'm kind of amazed at its cachet; you spend a lot of time troubleshooting things that you already know aren't actually supposed to be your problem, because no one else understands networking and consequently blame the network for everything, and because of that you end up knowing how most of the rest of your organization's technology stuff works and doing a lot of other people's jobs for them. I like my job a lot, but that aspect can get frustrating for sure.

Yeah, we definitely are a black hole of “idk, must be a network problem”, and it’s very common to need to figure out the exact solution for the appropriate team to implement.

I know help desk sounds awful, but if you’ve never worked in IT, it will provide you with a ton of real knowledge and experience that you just don’t pick up doing certs or school. I doubt you can skip it completely. Doing a few years in support isn’t the end of the world, it can be a pain but it will probably be valuable experience, you’ll learn so much so fast.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
If you’ve been learning programming with JS, no reason change languages right now. As a beginner it’s just about learning concepts and how to think. You can pick up python or whatever language later on and it won’t be that difficult. You’ll just have to learn the syntax and get familiar with the standard libraries, the concepts remain the same.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

guppy posted:

Kirk Byers, who wrote the Netmiko module, has a free "Python for Network Engineers" class that he offers roughly four times per year. You sign up, you get an email a week for 10 weeks with a link to one or more videos and some exercises to give you practice. It's terrific. It's not ideal if you have zero exposure to programming concepts, but you really don't need much. The next course starts August 8th. He also has paid courses if there's another topic you're interested in, covering stuff like Ansible and Nornir.

When you are first starting out, I suggest writing stuff that just gathers info. You can't get into too much trouble when all you're sending is show commands.

Cool, I’m gonna check this out too. I think I’ve read some blog posts by this dude too but this sounds great.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I have always just lied about employment gaps lol. Never had a problem

But if you want to try and pad out your experience to get in the door for an interview with the actual hiring manager, I suppose it kills two birds with one stone. Just make sure you can speak competently about anything on the resume, because most teams will have at least one guy on the team who drills into each item on there to gauge your level.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Iron Rose posted:

Amazon has a very bad fake textbook problem. I’d be more inclined to look at content on pluralsight or udemy, or buy directly from the publisher.

What does this mean, people sell books with different content, or they print their own lovely copies or what?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

KillHour posted:

Is Robert Half the one that calls your current employer to say "So and so is out looking for a new job. It looks like you're going to need to backfill that position - you want someone?"

Lol that is loving scummy. I had a convo with them on my most recent search and they requested my current managers contact info and wouldn’t progress without it. I never followed up with them because it just seemed weird. Most company systems have automated verification lines, nobody should need to speak with your actual boss.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah those seem to defeat the purpose, or at least part of it.

In my mind, these technical certs are kind of a study blueprint, not just a thing to slap on your resume.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Handsome Ralph posted:

My manager wants me to go for my CCNA and said they'll cover the cost of study materials and most likely the cert itself. So that's pretty sweet.

With that in mind, is the course offered through Cisco with the labs the best way to go about prepping for it, or is there another preferred course/study material?

I’ve heard good things about “Jeremy’s IT Lab”. I think he has a paid course but I believe all the material is free on YouTube as well. There might be some benefits to the free one but I haven’t looked into it.

Most people seem to do his course (or similar) along with a book or study guide.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
If you are already working as an admin, you probably have access to some Cisco images via their support site right? I haven’t set up a GNS environment, it’s one of those things I keep planning to do, but you could probably download those images yourself and build the labs yourself.

Not sure what kind of requirements are needed for GNS. I actually have considered building mine in AWS or some other cloud service, to add a little bit of experience with that. Just make sure to shut it down when you’re not using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’m so close to finishing WGU’s python class, just that and the capstone then I’m done with my degree. It got me thinking about future studying in terms of certs. My job seems more geared towards cybersecurity but my degree is in networking. I guess I’m wanting to know if it’s worth it to keep studying for networking certs and pivot later, or to just continue down the cybersecurity track. Networking sounds like it’d be more fun but without a taste of the real thing it could be more bullshit than it’s worth.

Well it depends on where you think your career is headed. Networking is very enjoyable especially if you can find the right job where you don’t have to deal with some of the worst of the repetitive BS.

Idk what certs you have right now, but at some point real world experience will be necessary/more important than getting more certs. I dont think anyone can tell you if you should chase networking or cybersec, but I will say that I always am baffled when I run into infosec people who know nothing about networking. IMO, you should have a solid handle on networks to be a good infosec engineer.