Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Foma posted:

CISSP in 4 days, not sure I am ready yet. Is it as bad as they say?

I went in thinking I was very ill-prepared. Work sent us to a 5day class that was worthless and I refused to read the Shaun Harris book. So instead, I listened to a bunch of videos on my drive to Atlanta (5hrs) to take the test the next day.

When I took it, I got a test that was heavy around networking / access control / disaster recovery, which played well to my strengths (12yrs a network engineer). I left thinking I failed and was really surprised to get an email saying I passed.

Not sure if the test has changed since I took it back in 2011, but it was a 250 question scan-tron exam, 25 of the questions do not count as they are beta questions for the next exam. You have something like 5hrs to complete the exam and I was done in little over an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone have an answer to this? I need to also pickup some vouchers before the end of the year.

Just a word of caution. The vouchers I get from most vendors directly (Cisco / Juniper) are only good for the calendar year they are cut in. I recently got a bunch from Juniper for my team in late November and they were only good if used before Dec 31st.

Just check the fine print on the voucher before you buy.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

Going into management and getting stale and out of practice over time.

Or in today's world, we use a calculator and not our fingers and abacus.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

GOOCHY posted:

Scheduled the Sec+ for next Friday. Time to get DoD8750/IAT II and start looking for jobs out in Maryland/NoVA. The Midwest is a wasteland for technical jobs.

If you want in DoD, bone up for CISSP too. Opens up a lot in the DoD area.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh waaaah I have to take soooo many tests to make 6 figures and have an awesome job, waaaaah

;)

madmaan posted:

If a CCNP alone would get me 6 figures I would buy the books today. :smith:

So who's doing it wrong? The CCNP's *not* making 6 figures or the ones without CCNP making 6 figures? I'm the latter. :smug:

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

madmaan posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Stop getting certs you poors, :smug: Edition

The IT Certification Megathread: Certs don't always mean more money

That was the point I was trying to make. Someone shouldn't be jaded enough to think that just because they knocked out a CCNP that they should be able to walk into an organization and demand $100k/yr

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I'm guaranteed a raise if I pick it up, so in my case certs do mean more money.

Some places are like that, but not all of them. I was just making points in a thread based solely around getting certifications that; 1) A CCNP doesn't guarantee 6 figures 2) You need a CCNP in the world of networking to get 6 figures.

EDIT:

madmaan posted:

Easy cowboy, your sarcasm detector needs a recharge.

Apologies, it was overran by anger section because SimCity servers are broken.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

madmaan posted:

I am pretty sure the I didn't have a cisco exam that allowed you to go back at all. Did they recently change this?

When I did my CCDA last year (Feb 2012), you could mark and review at the end, but not go back once you've submitted an answer without "marking" it.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Weird. The CCNA is one question at a time, no going back.

Between Feb 2012 and now, I have drank a lot of whiskey, so my memory could be slightly "fuzzy" and I am completely wrong. I want to say I asked the same question in this thread prior to taking the CCDA, I'll see if I can find it and the responses.

Edit: Cisco forums lean towards no going back or marking for review, so I'll blame the whiskey.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

I've finally got a fire lit under my rear end to finish the CCNP before I deploy. Maybe while I'm over there I'll work on something weird like CCNP: SP.

The NP:SP looks to have some odd requirements, like NA:SP or any one of the older CCIP exams passed, but not an actual NP before you can take it. I was going to start on taking the NP exams this month to finish them by end of April, but I enjoy the SP world way more, so I might go that route, but first knock out NA:SP I guess.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

CCDP is the same way, I believe. Although at least with that you only need to take two additional exams (DA and then Arch).

I'm not sure why they have a separate SP Operations track, since you'd think all of that poo poo would be covered in the normal SP cert.

Yeah it seems like a easy choice to pickup the CCDP if you've already passed the CCNP since it is just another exam (if you've got a CCDA). Maybe I'll do that instead of CCNP:SP since I used the CCDA to renew my CCNA last year.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Scheduled my Cisco 350-001 (CCIE R&S Written Exam) today for the end of May, so we'll see how this goes.

Anyone taken / passed the written within the last 6mths or so?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

hackedaccount posted:

What's the process for buying a 2600 series to get an official IOS image for GNS3?

Buy off eBay -> Register serial number on Cisco's site -> go to download page and grab it

Or, do I need a support contract or how does it work exactly?

You'll pull the 2600 IOS .bin of the router itself. This doesn't entitle you to newer release downloads unless you have an active support contract.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

entragian posted:

braindumpsitethatischeating.com

That site is cheating and deserves to be removed.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Anyone purchased 12-20U cabinets lately on the cheap? I need to build a mini-lab at home with a mix of GNS3/Cisco/Juniper for CCIE/JNCIE studying and I haven't stumbled upon anything good on craigslist.

I have my CCIE written scheduled in two months, so I want to get cracking on building out the lab soon.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
If I take a $1200 training class (which is not a requirement for contract) in January, over the next 12mths it slowly depreciates until gone (basically $100mth). If I leave within that 12mth period, I owe the remaining balance.

I would think that if they fire you, they shouldn't be able to collect on that, but a lot could depend on why you were fired.

Typically I try to do all my training via self-study and pay for the tests on my own dime. I just don't like tying myself to those type contracts.

Are you being forced to sign it for employment or because they need you to get some certification?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Yearly review objective, they need me to get certified in a few products, etc.

Is it cost prohibitive to do them on your own?

Your options are pretty limited in the end:
1) Tell them you'll get certified on your own dime
2) Sign the contract, allow them to pay and hope to not get terminated or leave
3) Have a lawyer look it over and see if it holds any water with respect to termination via the company
4) Refuse to sign it and be terminated

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Option 3 worked out. It only applies if I voluntarily leave. That makes a great deal more sense to me.

Good deal. That is typically the way it works, so if it was even if they terminated you, that would be a big red flag.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

You have to take and pass all 3 within a year? I thought it was 3?

Fatal posted:

Thought it was that but it's not.

Looking more into this and it doesn't appear you have to complete the CCNP within a year by my understanding, just have to pass one of the required exams each year. Passing a professional level exam extends your timeline by a year from that date. I.E. Pass SWITCH - Jan 1,2013, by Jan 1, 2014, you have pass ROUTE or TSHOOT, which gives you until Jan 1, 2015, etc. Effectively giving you 3 years to complete the CCNP.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Can you apply for extensions due to, say, being overseas? Or is Cisco a douche when it comes to that?

e: According to this forum post you have 3 years from the time you pass the first to pass the other two.

Given they use a worldwide testing company, I doubt there is an option to apply for extensions. Team member of mine was overseas in Afghanistan and had to renew, so he took leave and flew to Dubai to take the exam.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sepist posted:

Anyone have the CCDA / CCDP? Were they worth taking? I already have my NP so it would only be 2 tests to acquire both..

I took DA to renew my NA and it was an easy exam, but it is mostly based around theory, so just be prepared to memorize building networks the Cisco way.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Had my Juniper JNCIP-SP recert scheduled for Monday, but I think after this week, the alcohol is going to do damage to my memory, so I went ahead and re-scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

psydude posted:

Anyone taken ITIL Foundations/Intermediate?

I'm kind of looking at these as well along with the PMP stuff.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Corvettefisher posted:

No there isn't, you either know the material, or you have gaps where you need to study. That has to be the lamest excuse I hear constantly "I know how to do it, I just can't pass the test".

Note: I am against braindumps in every fashion, no matter what explanation is put forth, time in the hotseat tends to rule those individuals out, but I have an interesting question.

What is your method to find the gaps on where you need to study? Pony up the money (or worse, have work pony up the money) and take the test and if you fail, hope the score report tells you what areas you did the weakest in?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

This isn't a defense of dumping, but rather a general criticism of cert exams, which speaks to pudgygiant's point:

One of the issues with certification exams is they often lend equal weight to material that people rarely - sometimes never - need to know in real life. A dumbass A+ question like "How many pins are in a serial cable?" is not something a person would learn from experience. A CCA question like "Place the following user types into flexcast groups" is something you'd get right because of rote memorization, not deployment experience.

I'm not saying that occasional BS factoid questions like these will make a qualified professional fail an exam. I barely study for exams, reason my way through them, and typically score in the 80% range. Still, no reasonable person can deny that some exam questions are solved by rote memorization rather than experience, and some professionals simply want that extra 20% for whatever reason. To that extent, whatever, I don't care.

This is my largest issue with Cisco exams, as they are more memorization driven than practical. I don't need to know the admin distance of RIP vs BGP because the router tells me or I have context sensitive help in order to figure out to type "show mac address-table" that I don't need to memorize it, but Cisco can and will test you on them, forcing you to memorize it. It's that I think drives some people to braindump, because they are scared they will get tested on the smallest/oddest thing.

I think the other part of it is them just doing it to make sure you read the Cisco Press book. :smug:

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Corvettefisher posted:

VMware is pretty good with practice exams so long as you utilize the mylearn site. There are poo poo load of mock exams out there, especially for CCNA.

So vendor/non-braindump sites (like Boson, INE, CBTNuggets) practice exams are good to use because you have the assumption you won't see the same question on the exam?

(If I showed you a question from Boson, INE, or CBTNuggets that was on an actual exam a long with a braindump site, would that change your view?)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pudgygiant posted:

Apply for the position I'm leaving. Good luck!

Am I reading that job posting right?

Basic Qualifications: CCIE

Additional: (not required but nice to have) - CCNA, CCNP

Backwards ya think?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ToG posted:

You CAN get proper practice tests if you're that way inclined. I normally use the questions at the end of chapters to give me an indication of what I've learned and what I'm weak on. Hell I missed ICND1 and that test report is what meant I aced it the next time.

A brain dump however is literally the questions that will be on the test. I have no idea how people can rationalise that as normal behaviour and not cheating. FYI if Cisco find that you've been cheating (i.e. via their analysis of your tests) they will not only strip you of your certs, they'll ban you from Cisco certification for life. Why would anyone in their right mind risk their career just to save a few hundred dollars on an exam.

Considering I have personally turned in 3 different "practice" test questions from Boson that matched up to actual Cisco exam questions, I know that not all practice tests are created equal.

And given the amount of people that do in fact brain dump, I don't think anyone is risking career suicide by doing so.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A lot of the test entities have a cheating hotline. You can get people in a tremendous world of poo poo if you point out that a certified training instructor is handing out braindumps.

On 3 separate occasions, I have taken a Cisco exam (CCNA through CCNP/DP), while using Boson, INE, etc to practice test, and come across the *exact* same question, down to IP, AS, etc. I turned over all the relevant information to Cisco to never hear a word back.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

On a separate but related note, how are the Boson practice exams? I got the free one with my official ROUTE study guide and am wondering if it's worth it to shell out the extra cash.

Meh, they are ok. I thought the ones put together by the study groups, which were based around GNS3 stuff were better....until I realized they were just copy/paste of stuff on the exam. I wasn't studying and learning, but memorizing the exam labs. I see this daily with a co-worker studying for his IE. Always on <braindump-exam-site.com> downloading visio's and GNS3 setups to help with the lab.

Conversation typically goes like this:

Him: :downswords:
Me: :eng99:

:downswords: : Check this out, this is the layout of one of the current R&S Labs
:eng99: Ok, so, what about it?
:downswords: : This is what you can expect to see in the lab, this is what I am using to study
:eng99: That's not studying.....that doing a particular lab scenario over and over......better known as memorization

I'm not sure how it is for Microsoft and things like VMWare, but from a Cisco perspective, it is hard to take anything online as a "practice" because I've seen too many times that it was just information built off a braindump. Just because someone changed IPs and AS'es doesn't mean it's any less of a braindump. The answer is still the same.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You generally have to speak with a real person, and also raise a stink. If it's a big name study firm, they probably got a nastygram about it and not much else. If it's a small time community college teacher who is handing them out, he's just hosed. Yank his certs, bitch out the dean, threaten a lawsuit style poo poo.

I (read: my agency) spends millions of dollars a year with Cisco, I raised the concerns with Cisco training, my account rep, and anyone else that would listen...still heard nothing back. In the end, Cisco and every other vendor is out to make money. If the de-valuing of the certifications was such a concern, you'd see a lot more lab based exams that prevented braindumping.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ToG posted:

Are you sure about that?

There's a huge difference between three questions in a practice test being the same as the actual test and every question being on the actual test.

I guess you could take that as the truth, but without validation from Cisco, it is pretty much hearsay. Based off the proxy logs of co-workers, I can point you to specific sites based around the CCIE lab with complete IOU/GNS3 labs to help with "studying", that have helped users pass without issue.

I'm not saying people do not get caught cheating, as the guy in your link was caught *and* confessed to bringing notes into the CCIE lab, but vendors are not cracking down on it as hard as they make it out to be.

It is starting to look like I am for or on the side of braindumps and I am not, but the ability for vendors and test centers to separate the two is becoming harder and harder as long as the tests are multiple choice driven. The more random practical/sim/lab exams they can offer, the better they are at keeping the value of their certifications at the level they want.

In the end you have to think about it from the vendor standpoint...the more people certified == the more they help us sell gear. Plain and simple.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of job may one get with the Linux+ and RHCSA? It seems like the only thing is a possible job at Rackspace, but really don't want to move to Texas. :smith:

If you could knock out something like Security+ you could open a few doors with government contracting job....given you can obtain and hold at least a Secret clearance.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pudgygiant posted:

Without Googling it, what's the default AD for IGRP

What do I win?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

It's pretty much impossible to not get a secret clearance unless you've dated multiple foreign nationals or can't hold off smoking weed for more than a week.

I was basing my statement off that, this is in fact, SomethingAwful...

It's been so long since I had to deal with only a Secret clearance, that I can't even remember how deep they looked at me.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Mugaaz posted:

I think the argument that you are competing against other dumpers for jobs IS actually legitimate, everything else is pure bullshit though.

I'll just say that when I was trying to become a network engineer originally, it was so loving hard to get my foot in the door even with degree, experience, and CCNA. It would be SO nice if there were real tests where you could prove yourself and were accepted by everybody. I don't really know of any test people hold in esteem anymore besides the CCIE. I've noticed when I was looking for work before that every place is doing in depth technical interviews now.

Also, while there are bullshit questions on all the tests, you actually DO have to know AD values subsconsciously or you are going to screw yourself not understand why a route isnt showing up.
I don't know what purpose questions like "How many hosts can you have in a /21 subnet", and "What is the hello timer for this protocol?" serve though.

The only part of the CCIE that cannot be 100% braindumped is the lab and this is because Cisco changes the troubleshooting lab and the configuration lab frequently in hopes to cull the masses building IOU/GNS3 dumps. But people still do "braindump" it enough to pass.

Why DO I need to know the AD values? If a route is not showing up, I have plenty of other ways of figuring out why it hasn't been installed in the routing table:

code:
show ip bgp neighbors 10.10.20.2 received-routes
Will show me routes received from the peer before installation into the table. If I don't see them in the table, but in the peering session, something is up and can investigate from there.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Yes. That's how life works, deal with it.

"It's not about what you know, but who you know"

I don't have an issue with networking with people. I try to do it as often as I can, especially in the DoD arena. The more people that recognize my name, the better chances at that GS15 I got :)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pudgygiant posted:

Pissing off (or on) Obama is basically the only way to get fired as a GS15 right?

No. GS15 is nothing if you are looking at civil service from an Obama perspective. You first need to move from GS15 to SES to get on the radar, then things get interesting.

But the only real ways to get 'fired' as a civil service employee are like gross misconduct and insubordination. There are ways to 'force' a civil service person out of a job like making them their position no longer needed at that facility and moving to Guam. Their options are to transfer to Guam, quit/retire(if eligible), or apply for other civilian jobs where they would get first-come first-serve treatment for being on MDR(manager directed relocation) or similar.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 16, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Pudgygiant posted:

Seriously? I'm only a GS13 equivalent, not even a real GS13, and I already trump everybody except CSM, generals, and emergency leave when it comes to flights.

GS13 is essentially 50/50 technical action and paper pusher. You can land a GS13-1 without a college degree if you have enough experience in the field *and* area of agency. GS14-1 is solely paperwork and zero technical action and is almost impossible without a Bachelors though.

Good luck getting a salary match now though, even before the sequestration it was tough.

When I say "technical action" I mean logging into anything (server/router/switch) and having any authority.

Edit: Keep in mind, that after GS15-10, the only options for advancement are to go SES, which are I-V. You obviously can go SES before GS15-10, but GS15-10 is the top of the GS payscale.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 16, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Which is why our utterly useless "Senior" Network Engineer is still around. Contractors do 90% of the actual work at my job.

He is there to "supervise" in a government capacity......

Contractors do 90% of the actual work in all of Government.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I shouldn't have drank so much last night with a re-cert today at 1330. This is going to be a terrible day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Xenoletum posted:

I'm curious as to people's opinions on those week-long boot camp type seminars. One of my classmates paid a nice chunk of change for those once and came out of it with his A+ and Net+, but he still really doesn't know his stuff. Are those seen as more legitimate or just as bad?

The majority of boot-camps are centered around just cramming you for the exam(s) you take at the end or during the week.