Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dash_aremsc posted:

Very long time lurker at SA, and being in the market to get myself a TDI this coming summer, figured I would take the plunge and post in this thread, with some requests for advice!

If I am looking to get a TDI Golf (ideal) or Jetta in the $6000-$8000 range, approximately what sorts of mileage should I look for to find a good deal? Any suggestions for best venues to get a deal on diesel in the US?

Additionally, have heard claims that automatic transmissions are better for mileage on a TDI, because the additional heat output from the transmission is a more certain mileage improver than shifting carefully in a manual. Thoughts on this?

Also, someone mentioned using a Golf for towing motorcycles; any TDI Jetta folks with positive towing experiences?

Assuming this car eventually does get purchased, perhaps a thread will be created about the long drive (am leaning towards purchasing in North Carolina, due to lower costs and rust-free cars from no winters, to get up north to Ohio). Possibly even with photos. Yes/no?

Someone was wrong: Mileage wise the Manual transmission is where its at, not to mention the tendency for VW to have issues with their automatics. Its just worth it both for the mileage and the extra power you get.

And that nice 6 speed manual if you can find one. Towing wise, you can easily tow a couple motorcycles or even a small boat or camper with ease, that extra torque and the wonderful towing mileage help. I've towed my Audi with my Jetta TDI, and that thing only had 90 HP when I started with it.

As for photos and trip report, we'd love it!

Pictures:

My freshly finished AHU TDI! Freshly machined head installed!

...and then the coolant return nozzle fractured and snapped off. Not wanting to spend $40 on a new one, I drilled the nozzle and the junction, inserted a piece of plastic tubing, put it back together and epoxied the whole thing. Ta-Da!

Forgive the poor cell phone pictures, my wife took her Canon SLR to her mothers for the weekend.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

dash_aremsc posted:

If I am looking to get a TDI Golf (ideal) or Jetta in the $6000-$8000 range, approximately what sorts of mileage should I look for to find a good deal? Any suggestions for best venues to get a deal on diesel in the US?

I know more about the older TDI's than the newer ones that would fall in that price range, unless you want to buy a heavily modified older one or a wagon. I'd recommend a manual transmission - better mileage and the automatics are known for having issues. Lots of miles isn't too scary, but miles wear out lots of components other than the engine, and that has to be taken into account. Timing belts are essential for these cars and should be taken into account price wise. A lot of cars will be sold when they're due to have a timing belt done, and the seller might not mention it - so check the recommended interval and the time it was done on any car you look at.

You can check out the cars that are listed on tdiclub.com Those cars usually aren't cheap though. Basically just the standard places to check -vwvortex, craigslist, and ebay.

I've never towed with one, but I've heard good things, which is to say that these cars tow well for cars of their size/weight. These cars are sometimes rated higher for towing when they're sold in Europe than in the US, which as far as I know is just VW not wanting to get sued in America when someone does something stupid. If you're getting one of the older 90 HP models, I highly recommend a tuning chip. If you upgrade more than the tuning chip you'll probably need to do the clutch too.

Edit: If the clutch get's done, you want to have a VR6 clutch put on, which is usually gets put on anyway. So if you get a car that's already had the clutch done, try to figure out what clutch was put on.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 8, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

If you upgrade more than the tuning chip you'll probably need to do the clutch too.

I did a moderate injector upgrade and the clutch started slipping. Easy solution is throw in a VR6 clutch

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

BurgerQuest posted:

Does any one have/have experience with the VW Golf GTD? I've got a MkV GTI at the moment and love it, but I'm starting to get ready to upgrade to something a bit newer, have been thinking the GTD might be a nice move sideways into diesel.
My yellow Seat on the previous page is a golf GTD Chassis/Engine with a cheaper interior and harder suspension. Anything you want to know about it specifically? If you're considering it, the 140 version isn't a lot slower if you want to cut costs a little, I can get 48-50mpg (UK) out of it cruising at 80. Been a workhorse for me, the engine doesn't appear to have any really serious problems (which I thank my lucky stars for considering the injector recall for the PD170 series). Clutch is uprated for the CR 170 (Saches unit by default) if you plan to go mod wild. People usually replace them when they go above 210 in Seat land.

quote:

The turbo went on mine too, but luckily it was still under warranty. It's got a few electrical problems now and the doors are starting to seize up, but the engine has been indestructible.

My wife wants one of the blue special editions, but I don't think they're ever going to come down in price. Personally I'd rather have the TDI Yeti.
Just checking you're aware, the electrical problems aren't in the rear of the car are they? Your loom (under the left rear seat carpet) can get corroded if the door seal leak they all suffer from isn't fixed.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

7.3L and 15 MPG. I approve this thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

crutt posted:

7.3L and 15 MPG. I approve this thread.
If you're not talking about the Mazda, I'll be very upset.

EDIT: Actually, I have a slightly unusual request for one of the 1.9 VW guys. Could someone tell me the total effective engine length? As in from the bellhousing mounting face to the end of the crank nose assembly/accessory pulley?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 9, 2012

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It seems like my 2013 Golf TDI gets significantly worse mileage the colder the temperature gets. Am I crazy or is this normal?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

fknlo posted:

It seems like my 2013 Golf TDI gets significantly worse mileage the colder the temperature gets. Am I crazy or is this normal?

maybe the engine is to cold? trucks usually have those blankets covering there rads. maybe that has something to do with it.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
There's a couple of factors. One is that winter Diesel fuel has a lot of additives to keep it from gelling up and generally gives you worse power and fuel economy than summer Diesel.

The car will get worse fuel economy when the engine is cold, and Diesel engines take a lot longer to warm up than gasoline engines. Glow plugs help heat the engine up faster, but the higher drain on the alternator lowers economy.

Due to the reasons in the second paragraph, you'll take a much larger hit on a lot of short trips starting with the engine cold than you will on a longer drive with the engine warmed up most of the time.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

fknlo posted:

What you want is called a "winter front" -- it covers the grill to help the engine stay warm.

Also, are you going on mainly short trips? If so, your fuel economy will suffer and you'll get more fuel contamination in your oil.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

There's a couple of factors. One is that winter Diesel fuel has a lot of additives to keep it from gelling up and generally gives you worse power and fuel economy than summer Diesel.

The car will get worse fuel economy when the engine is cold, and Diesel engines take a lot longer to warm up than gasoline engines. Glow plugs help heat the engine up faster, but the higher drain on the alternator lowers economy.

Due to the reasons in the second paragraph, you'll take a much larger hit on a lot of short trips starting with the engine cold than you will on a longer drive with the engine warmed up most of the time.

Did they remove the coolant glow plugs on later model TDIs? That was the whole point was to keep the engine at optimal temperature...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

This is normal as others have said. I have been averaging around 42 mpg tank average. This tank is sitting around 39 because it's been so loving cold. My car isn't up to full operating temp until about 5 miles into my trip to or from work. What's really wierd about the car, and I mean it makes sense but is kind of counterintuitive, I get better mileage when there is traffic than when there isn't. When I'm stuck in traffic, I'm usually creeping along at 1500rpms in 3rd gear vs doing 60-70.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Opensourcepirate posted:

This is the big one. Winter additives are completely different and most stations north of the Mason-Dixon will be stocking it now (probably quite a few south as well). My '11 TDI drops about 5mpg with the winter fuel.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For a '10 jetta Tdi running mostly shorter trips and B5 fuel is a 5k mile oil change interval a good idea? That would work out to be about every six months. I have heard that the biodiesel will tend to cause more oil contamination.

Does anybody else with cars get the occasional person come up and warn them thy are filling up with diesel? I don't get it in the city but when I stop out in the small rural towns it is about a 50/50 chance someone will comment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

For a '10 jetta Tdi running mostly shorter trips and B5 fuel is a 5k mile oil change interval a good idea? That would work out to be about every six months. I have heard that the biodiesel will tend to cause more oil contamination.

Does anybody else with cars get the occasional person come up and warn them thy are filling up with diesel? I don't get it in the city but when I stop out in the small rural towns it is about a 50/50 chance someone will comment.

If you are running full synthetic 5k to 6k is a good change interval, especially running bio.

I have had multiple come up and warn me I was filling with diesel. I had a trucker run up to me at the truck pump and try to stop me, thinking my Jetta was gas.
And then I've had one or two Prius owners chide me for driving a diesel

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

CommieGIR posted:

Did they remove the coolant glow plugs on later model TDIs? That was the whole point was to keep the engine at optimal temperature...

I'm not sure if they have them heating the coolant or just the cylinder heads. Either way they'll be lowering your fuel economy while they're running, even if they do get you up to an efficient engine temperature faster.

Edit: IDParts (.com) is having a bunch of winter fronts custom made. They're starting with the A4 Jetta/Golf (99 to 05 or 06), but they're planning to do them for newer and older cars as well.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2012

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I think the best was when I had some wannabe hippies screaming about no blood for oil when I was filling up my F250 with B99 Biodiesel. I guess the huge banners everywhere with BIODIESEL in three foot tall letters where too hard to read.

What was sad is they had a one year old car and it was already beat to poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the junkyard now already. I wouldn't run Bio in the winter unless you lived in a warm place or had tank heaters. I had problems with gelling at like 40F. Someday I need to have my old truck gone through.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

I think the best was when I had some wannabe hippies screaming about no blood for oil when I was filling up my F250 with B99 Biodiesel. I guess the huge banners everywhere with BIODIESEL in three foot tall letters where too hard to read.

What was sad is they had a one year old car and it was already beat to poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the junkyard now already. I wouldn't run Bio in the winter unless you lived in a warm place or had tank heaters. I had problems with gelling at like 40F. Someday I need to have my old truck gone through.

You can run bio in winter but you have to mix it with diesel, gas or kerosene.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

CommieGIR posted:

B99 from recycled oil? With terrible quality control?

If it's gelling at 40F, I'd worry more about your injection pump than getting a tank heater...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, or you could just change the grade from B99 to B5

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

primitive posted:

B99 from recycled oil? With terrible quality control?

If it's gelling at 40F, I'd worry more about your injection pump than getting a tank heater...

I guess Bio made from animal gels differently than bio from plants. You also have to remember this happened 6 or more years ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

I guess Bio made from animal gels differently than bio from plants. You also have to remember this happened 6 or more years ago.

Bio-diesel is well regulated as far as its content, but its just the nature of the beast that it will gel higher than normal Winterized Diesel. I don't even know if they make a winterized version of bio for the pumps.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 11, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have had my car for over a year now and no one has cautioned me :( No one is helpful out here in CO. Also, I'm about loving tired of people blocking the diesel pump when there are clearly 8 empty gas pumps they could be filling up at.

Did you explain to the hippies how their Prius does more damage to the environment than a gas guzzling SUV before it even reaches the US shores?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Shifty Pony posted:

Doesnt happen quite so much in Aus- Guess diesels are a hell of a lot more common over here than in the US.

We do get a huge number of chucklefucks parking in front of the diesel pumps to go to the shop in the servo tho...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Did you explain to the hippies how their Prius does more damage to the environment than a gas guzzling SUV before it even reaches the US shores?

If you've watched the Smug episodes of South Park, then you are fully aware why they buy Prius.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ferremit posted:

Doesnt happen quite so much in Aus- Guess diesels are a hell of a lot more common over here than in the US.

We do get a huge number of chucklefucks parking in front of the diesel pumps to go to the shop in the servo tho...

Diesels have had a bad rep in the US for a few decades due to the fact that the only real vehicles you were able to buy were lovely GMs and big trucks which love to belch black smoke. The Germans didn't really make a push to get diesels into the country until the late 90s. But the stigma still exists.

I love my TDI. All the fuel economy of a hybrid, all the torque of a tractor. Plus the TDI Golf comes equipped basically the same as a GTI and costs less while having a higher resale value down the line.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Diesels have had a bad rep in the US for a few decades due to the fact that the only real vehicles you were able to buy were lovely GMs and big trucks which love to belch black smoke. The Germans didn't really make a push to get diesels into the country until the late 90s. But the stigma still exists.

I love my TDI. All the fuel economy of a hybrid, all the torque of a tractor. Plus the TDI Golf comes equipped basically the same as a GTI and costs less while having a higher resale value down the line.

The bad rep is due to that and the Cadillac diesel, which resulted in a huge class action lawsuit and because Cadillac sucks at diesels.

Volkswagen and Mercedes have had diesels in the US since around 1979, and they never really left, but they were never sold in good numbers till recently thanks to the fact that people now want economical cars that can still be fun.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Diesel has a pretty decent price premium too, about 50-60c/gal here. That plus the extra cost of a diesel car means the payback period is fairly lengthy. BMW is bringing a bunch of new diesels over soon, it'll be interesting to see how they sell. The 335d never made much sense, a 320d might do quite well.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
The price difference between diesel and gasoline depends highly on the time of year. Diesel fuel meets the requirements for home heating oil, and the reverse is sometimes true - the standards are looser on heating oil - so the price of Diesel goes up in the winter as heating oil comes into demand.

During the summer I've seen Diesel be the same price as premium gasoline.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

The price difference between diesel and gasoline depends highly on the time of year. Diesel fuel meets the requirements for home heating oil, and the reverse is sometimes true - the standards are looser on heating oil - so the price of Diesel goes up in the winter as heating oil comes into demand.

During the summer I've seen Diesel be the same price as premium gasoline.

Either way, the calculated cost difference is more than worth the efficiency and fuel mileage.

I mean, the Gas Direct Injection engines are starting to catch up, but they still have a little ways to go, even then all some company would have to do is make a Diesel Hybrid and diesel would still hold have the best efficiency.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the Gas Direct Injection engines are starting to catch up, but they still have a little ways to go, even then all some company would have to do is make a Diesel Hybrid and diesel would still hold have the best efficiency.

Its pretty close now if you look at the best petrols
Golf 118TSI (petrol) = 6l/200km combined, 139g/km - Euro 5
Golf 103TDI (diesel) = 5.4l/100km combined, 142g/km - Euro 5

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel Hybrid

Is there some glaringly obvious reason why they aren't doing this? Even the drat VW Jetta hybrid is gas instead of diesel.

Those of you with TDI's, how many miles are you running between oil changes? I've always done every 5k with Rotella T6 and a new filter but have heard of people doing 10k just fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I have a slightly unusual request for one of the 1.9 VW guys. Could someone tell me the total effective engine length? As in from the bellhousing mounting face to the end of the crank nose assembly/accessory pulley?

Anyone able to help me out?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Ive been looking dave, I might have to measure my own engine but for the life of me I cant find it

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is there some glaringly obvious reason why they aren't doing this? Even the drat VW Jetta hybrid is gas instead of diesel.

Those of you with TDI's, how many miles are you running between oil changes? I've always done every 5k with Rotella T6 and a new filter but have heard of people doing 10k just fine.

Diesels aren't very efficient when you stop and start them a lot, which tends to be the way a hybrid engine runs.

I take my oil change intervals from the manual - I believe it's 12 months or 10k miles, but I'd have to check. Been fine so far.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I read an article not that long ago talking about why diesel hybrids aren't a thing. It mentioned several reasons, like hybrid fans and diesel fans being different people according to market research, but the biggest point in my mind was the added cost of a hybrid powertrain on a diesel motor that already sells at a premium wasn't worth it since diesels are already more fuel efficient than gasoline.

Also something about non-complimentary torque curves.

Benz does make one, though:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079728_mercedes-benz-e300-bluetec-hybrid-sedan-quick-drive

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

Diesels aren't very efficient when you stop and start them a lot, which tends to be the way a hybrid engine runs.

Yes, but you could do a diesel electric combo

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

InitialDave posted:

I missed this question somehow but give me a sec.

e: 47.7cm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

Yes, but you could do a diesel electric combo and still exceed the Prius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
SERIOUS QUESTION:

How lovely is a 1980s Mercedes 300 TD?

• Locked thread