Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Ive been looking dave, I might have to measure my own engine but for the life of me I cant find it

Billy Tully posted:

I missed this question somehow but give me a sec.

e: 47.7cm
Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

InitialDave posted:

Thanks guys!

What are you scheming where you need this information? Please tell me a RWD something with a TDI.

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

ultimateforce posted:

SERIOUS QUESTION:

How lovely is a 1980s Mercedes 300 TD?

About this lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilj7jqJuZgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdVh-g1U4Q

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

SERIOUS QUESTION:

How lovely is a 1980s Mercedes 300 TD?

The engine? Depends on the year. Around late 80's (86 I think) they changed the makeup of the head and it caused cracking issues, otherwise the Inline 5 Diesel is still considered one of the worlds most long lived engines

Its the vacuum system that will make you want to hang yourself. Still worth it.

Billy Tully posted:

What are you scheming where you need this information? Please tell me a RWD something with a TDI.

I really REALLY want to put a 2.0l TDI engine in my Quattro 4000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3C1AYQLnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=QLB2bxYfJEg&NR=1

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 12, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wolfsbane posted:

Diesels aren't very efficient when you stop and start them a lot, which tends to be the way a hybrid engine runs.

That used to be true but really is not the case for modern common rail diesels. Volkswagen already has models under the Bluemotion badging that includes automatic engine cutoff at stop with TDI engines.

I imagine that the cost, market research, and the ability to make gas engines significantly lighter would be the real reasons for the lack of diesel hybrids. Also would the cvt systems be able to deal with the torque of a diesel engine? Perhaps a Chevy Volt configuration would be more ideal.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

I really REALLY want to put a 2.0l TDI engine in my Quattro 4000.

Hah yes, thats one of my dream projects.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

That used to be true but really is not the case for modern common rail diesels. Volkswagen already has models under the Bluemotion badging that includes automatic engine cutoff at stop with TDI engines.

I imagine that the cost, market research, and the ability to make gas engines significantly lighter would be the real reasons for the lack of diesel hybrids. Also would the cvt systems be able to deal with the torque of a diesel engine? Perhaps a Chevy Volt configuration would be more ideal.

I really want to see a diesel electric car. Diesel engine, driving generator, one motor per wheel a'la eTron Quattro, and watch it fly.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

So they are great is what you are saying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

So they are great is what you are saying.

Yes. But you need a wagon. It is the law.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Billy Tully posted:

Afraid not, it's whether it would fit in a Panda. Actually, I know it probably would fit, as it's been done, but it's whether it could be done neatly.

The problem is that the original FIRE lump is really rather small, about 16" long, and is already fairly stuffed in there. The "sensible" option is a 1368cc FIRE, but I quite fancy a diesel.

It's not an immediate concern. I'm pretty drat slack about getting on with any of my cars at the best of times, but it seemed like a good opportunity to ask.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. But you need a wagon. It is the law.

I wish, I can only find sedans. Apparently they are all over Orlando for some reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I wish, I can only find sedans. Apparently they are all over Orlando for some reason.

Same here, the W123 body is rather rare now days it seems, you can find a bunch of them in Colorado, but its hardly worth the trip from Florida to get one.

I was actually surprised by how may 300D/300TD/300SD's there are in Georgia.

EDIT: Found this in Atlanta

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3473832861.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3428668456.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 12, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
In response to why hybrid diesels aren't a thing. The loving chicken tax. Take that bullshit off the books, get rid of the ridiculous restrictions the EPA put on diesels in the past 10 years and you'll have a hybrid getting 100+ mpg.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

In response to why hybrid diesels aren't a thing. The loving chicken tax. Take that bullshit off the books, get rid of the ridiculous restrictions the EPA put on diesels in the past 10 years and you'll have a hybrid getting 100+ mpg.

I blame CARB II, EPA practically copied CARB II which is very harsh on diesel emissions, as they test it for the same emissions as a gas motor.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Does the chicken tax even apply to anything at all these days?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

$1000 obo!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Friar Zucchini posted:

Does the chicken tax even apply to anything at all these days?

Non-passenger light-trucks only. Nobody imports them because of how much it would cost so you have assembly plants in mexico or some silly workarounds such as Ford importing Transits with rear seats, seatbelts, and windows then shredding those parts after they offload them to convert then into cargo vans.

I do wish there were actual choices in the US for new small trucks, which there are not due partially to the chicken tax and partially because large trucks are too profitable.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

If you don't but that I probably will.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've been talking to the other New England guys about putting the engine from my Jetta into my 944. I'm just not insane enough right now to turn 2 working cars into 0 working cars. I just need a blown headgasket in the Porsche and the Jetta to get rear ended and it's happening.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Peugeot makes a Diesel-hybrid drivetrain for the 508 RXH. The diesel drives the front wheels, and the electric drives the rear. I don't think it works without the engine running though. They claim 60 mpg, while tests suggest 47 mpg. Still not bad for a big Allroad/XC70 competitor. It would have been insanely expensive in the US though, and they only expect to sell 10 000 worldwide.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Billy Tully posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's dreamed about building a little tube frame mid/rear engined car with a TDI power plant. I went as far as building the drat thing in solidworks at one point, need to see if I can find that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's dreamed about building a little tube frame mid/rear engined car with a TDI power plant. I went as far as building the drat thing in solidworks at one point, need to see if I can find that.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

Little Diesel EV pusher some guy I know made.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I still haven't bought or built an engine for the bug yet. Wonder if I could stuff an old pd in the rear end end of it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I'm way into vans with diesels. The big Ford Transit that's coming here with an Ecoboost to begin with will show up with a diesel in 2014.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/2014-ford-transit-gets-5-cylinder-diesel/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

French Canadian posted:

I'm way into vans with diesels. The big Ford Transit that's coming here with an Ecoboost to begin with will show up with a diesel in 2014.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/2014-ford-transit-gets-5-cylinder-diesel/

I told my wife if we were ever going to get a van, it would be diesel. :colbert:

The only gas cars we have are my project rally cars.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Afraid not, it's whether it would fit in a Panda. Actually, I know it probably would fit, as it's been done, but it's whether it could be done neatly.

The problem is that the original FIRE lump is really rather small, about 16" long, and is already fairly stuffed in there. The "sensible" option is a 1368cc FIRE, but I quite fancy a diesel.

It's not an immediate concern. I'm pretty drat slack about getting on with any of my cars at the best of times, but it seemed like a good opportunity to ask.
Have you considered the 1.4 TDCI ford engine? It was used in the fiesta, fusion, and in some PSA cars. I think a Citroen C3 had a 90hp intercooled version. It feels pretty peppy for the size, revs well for a diesel and is pretty bulletproof. It would suit the Panda quite well I think.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This thread is making me think I should have spent the $200 on the diesel Golf. Oh well.
So is there a such thing as a diesel Fiat engine?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

This thread is making me think I should have spent the $200 on the diesel Golf. Oh well.
So is there a such thing as a diesel Fiat engine?

Yes. Yes there is. But if you live in the US like me you'll never see one anytime soon except in Jeeps

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. Yes there is. But if you live in the US like me you'll never see one anytime soon except in Jeeps

Nope. live in Australia. I'm just contemplating a horrible bastard child and was curious if the motor is available.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

Nope. live in Australia. I'm just contemplating a horrible bastard child and was curious if the motor is available.

Ah, then chances are you got it. The Jeep Grand Cherokees have a Fiat diesel engine, do they sell the Fiat 500 there?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, then chances are you got it. The Jeep Grand Cherokees have a Fiat diesel engine, do they sell the Fiat 500 there?

The new one? No idea. Haven't seen one but then 90% of people here either drive a 4x4 or a ute.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

The new one? No idea. Haven't seen one but then 90% of people here either drive a 4x4 or a ute.

Most of the Fiat diesels are in new trucks or 4x4s, so you might not see many for some time

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

crutt posted:

7.3L and 15 MPG. I approve this thread.

:hfive:
I drive the same truck at work. 15 mpg while towing 4 tons.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I really want to see a diesel electric car. Diesel engine, driving generator, one motor per wheel a'la eTron Quattro, and watch it fly.

Like diesel electric locomotives have been doing for the past oh... 60 some years.

I think this has been brought up time and time again and I am still unsure why auto companies still ignore it. I think it would be easy to throttle down the diesel to produce just enough electricity on open straits, but rev up when needing the extra power?

But again, one one that understands locomotives it does take time to "load" as in building enough electricity up to move. But I would think modern capacitors and so forth could handle all of this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Like diesel electric locomotives have been doing for the past oh... 60 some years.

I think this has been brought up time and time again and I am still unsure why auto companies still ignore it. I think it would be easy to throttle down the diesel to produce just enough electricity on open straits, but rev up when needing the extra power?

But again, one one that understands locomotives it does take time to "load" as in building enough electricity up to move. But I would think modern capacitors and so forth could handle all of this?

That was exactly my point.

You could easily balance out the load through excess charging, or even regenerative braking.

Either way, I think it could be a competitive vehicle, and maybe even a little simpler than the Prius or other EV/Hybrids

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think it would be easy to throttle down the diesel to produce just enough electricity on open straits, but rev up when needing the extra power?

That's the point of a CVT, is it not?
The issue I see with doing diesel electric in a car is that it's so much extra added weight. Instead of just an engine and transmission, you now have the engine, generator, electric motor AND some form of transmission for the motor to run through. You've just added two very heavy components to the car, and haven't even talked about batteries yet.
The reason it works for trains is because weight is a non-issue. An extra hundred tons doesn't make that much difference.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
My understanding of the train situation is that they can't reasonably produce a transmission to mate the Diesel engines to the tracks - having multiple speeds would be a nightmare. They use the electric motors because they have ridiculous torque at 0 RPM and are able to spin pretty fast so they can get away with only having one gear ratio.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

That's the point of a CVT, is it not?
The issue I see with doing diesel electric in a car is that it's so much extra added weight. Instead of just an engine and transmission, you now have the engine, generator, electric motor AND some form of transmission for the motor to run through. You've just added two very heavy components to the car, and haven't even talked about batteries yet.
The reason it works for trains is because weight is a non-issue. An extra hundred tons doesn't make that much difference.

Who said you have to have a transmission? You could easy use gearsets and individual motors at the wheel.

And the diesel engine doesn't have to be as big if its just acting as a generator.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Who said you have to have a transmission? You could easy use gearsets and individual motors at the wheel.

And the diesel engine doesn't have to be as big if its just acting as a generator.

Here's your generator - http://us.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/air-cooled/epa-certified/

Available in 4.2, 5.8 and 8.3 horsepower. Bigger ones available as well, Dad has a John Deere with a 24hp Yanmar :black101:

drat you guys now I'm wanting to build a diesel electric hybrid instead of finish the Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Diesel-Electric Miata. Duh.

• Locked thread