Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's your generator - http://us.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/air-cooled/epa-certified/

Available in 4.2, 5.8 and 8.3 horsepower. Bigger ones available as well, Dad has a John Deere with a 24hp Yanmar :black101:

drat you guys now I'm wanting to build a diesel electric hybrid instead of finish the Miata.

I'd go with the little 3 cylinder turbodiesel Yanmar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Diesel-Electric Miata. Duh.

You joke, I've been torn for a long time if a diesel Miata would be the best or worst thing ever. I'm leaning towards best on account of how fun the groundswell of torque can be in a regular car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

You joke, I've been torn for a long time if a diesel Miata would be the best or worst thing ever. I'm leaning towards best on account of how fun the groundswell of torque can be in a regular car.

With as small as the Miata is, I image it would be great fun, especially with one of the PD 160HP engine in it, and a simple chipping could easily push it up to 180HP or more.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

General_Failure posted:

So is there a such thing as a diesel Fiat engine?

I'm not up to date on the small ones, but they make plenty of medium and large ones which you would have seen everywhere badged as Iveco.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

jammyozzy posted:

Someone at VW had that thought too.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/eco-racer

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Still heavier than a beetle.

Those little industrial diesels almost allow me to indulge a dirty little fantasy of mine. A diesel motorcycle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

Those little industrial diesels almost allow me to indulge a dirty little fantasy of mine. A diesel motorcycle.
They exist.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Still heavier than a beetle.

Have you seen 'Is that thing diesel'? Paul Carter rides around Australia on a biodiesel fuelled Yanmar powered bike. It's worth a watch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pazrs posted:

Have you seen 'Is that thing diesel'? Paul Carter rides around Australia on a biodiesel fuelled Yanmar powered bike. It's worth a watch.

I'd love a diesel motorcycle.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

pazrs posted:

No. Never heard of it until now. Seems like I have something to watch. Thanks for enlightening me.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

chrisgt posted:

The reason it works for trains is because weight is a non-issue. An extra hundred tons doesn't make that much difference.

Well we want all the weight we can get. Extra weight = tractive effort.

My neighbor has a diesel John Deere 332 with a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel. That thing is pretty tits mower, has a huge deck on it, and he does mowing for cemeteries during the summer. I don't know how many hours he has on it, but I am guessing its well north of 4000 hours.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The little Yanmar diesels are really impressive. My parents have a 1984 John Deere 650 with a 0.9L 2-cylinder Yanmar diesel and that thing is a tank. It easily has the same number of hours of farm work on it and the only major part it has needed was a new water pump. With 14.5 PTO horsepower it runs a 48" tiller, 48" bushhog, and 72" grooming mower just fine.

More mowers need a diesel instead of the air cooled B&S power that seems to be nearly ubiquitous until you get into professional stuff. I mean you can still get it in a JD X740 but you are looking at $13k for one of those with a desk.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

The little Yanmar diesels are really impressive. My parents have a 1984 John Deere 650 with a 0.9L 2-cylinder Yanmar diesel and that thing is a tank. It easily has the same number of hours of farm work on it and the only major part it has needed was a new water pump. With 14.5 PTO horsepower it runs a 48" tiller, 48" bushhog, and 72" grooming mower just fine.

More mowers need a diesel instead of the air cooled B&S power that seems to be nearly ubiquitous until you get into professional stuff. I mean you can still get it in a JD X740 but you are looking at $13k for one of those with a desk.

For any one who cares... Hatz makes a small diesel engine. Its powerful as gently caress but is easy on fuel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

For any one who cares... Hatz makes a small diesel engine. Its powerful as gently caress but is easy on fuel.

I wish someone wold make a car with a Deutz air cooled diesel.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have an inexpiable lusting for a crew cab flatbed diesel truck. I don't want to bro it out, it would just be awesome to have a truck that you could basically haul/tow anything you wanted very easily. Need to go pick up 2tons of wood pellets? No problems, just forklift those mamas on there. Haul 2-3 quads? Drive them up on that bitch and strap them down.

:allears:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Like this for example?

(It's my brother's)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0LHKp51u0

That is just bad rear end..... And here is another part to make your pants tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

The combination of a turbo, 2 stroke diesels, and a hit of gear mashing sounds just about right.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Like this for example?

(It's my brother's)

Yep pretty much. This dude has the right idea:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The combination of a turbo, 2 stroke diesels, and a hit of gear mashing sounds just about right.

I don't understand what's going on or why that thing sounds absolutely amazing but jeeeeezus :aaa:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AF posted:

I don't understand what's going on or why that thing sounds absolutely amazing but jeeeeezus :aaa:

2 Stroke with blower and a big turbo.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am searching for a diesel as my next car to daily drive and boy they sure have an inflated value.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

I am searching for a diesel as my next car to daily drive and boy they sure have an inflated value.

Trade the Mustang for a 240DL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

If you are shopping for a diesel truck, yes they have an inflated value, diesel passenger cars hold their value better too...

...but some people are just dicks and want to get what they think its worth.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am pretty much looking at Mercedes or VW diesels below $5,000. 5-speed is a plus, but not required. There are SOME out there, but not a lot of selection.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I am pretty much looking at Mercedes or VW diesels below $5,000. 5-speed is a plus, but not required. There are SOME out there, but not a lot of selection.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/3479058154.html
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/3395201861.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3459230740.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3488169752.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3480528263.html

Yeah, not many VW diesels down there for the price you are asking :(

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 19, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah but those are all pretty much what I am looking for.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

Yeah but those are all pretty much what I am looking for.

Well, hope you find something. They are worth it, even the early non-turbo diesels are worth it, you can easily turbocharge them anyways and drop in some sodium valves and a TDI cam.

If you go Volkswagen, you are better off, especially if you get a 2000 or older model TDI, because the parts from those swap with practically every turbodiesel and diesel VW made from 1979 till 2000.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 19, 2012

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm not sure how dumb of a question this is, but it seems like a lot of box trucks (like the thread with the F600) have Diesel engines that really don't put out more power than a well tuned (bigger turbo, injectors) 1.9L TDI. What would happen if you tried to run a box truck with one of those engines? Would it destroy itself with ridiculous exhaust temperatures from running hard all the time?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Look at the torque numbers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

When I was shopping I recall seeing 2 year old Jettas with 50k on the clock listing for around a thousand less than new ones. I doubt they're selling for that much, but that's loving nuts.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Goddamn that brings back memories of being a kid sitting in the cab of a loving huge old Dodge flatbed powered by one of these, travelling all over the place with a full load of bees.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Opensourcepirate posted:

I'm not sure how dumb of a question this is, but it seems like a lot of box trucks (like the thread with the F600) have Diesel engines that really don't put out more power than a well tuned (bigger turbo, injectors) 1.9L TDI. What would happen if you tried to run a box truck with one of those engines? Would it destroy itself with ridiculous exhaust temperatures from running hard all the time?

I'd rather see someone do it the other way around.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

When I was shopping I recall seeing 2 year old Jettas with 50k on the clock listing for around a thousand less than new ones. I doubt they're selling for that much, but that's loving nuts.

I paid 24k for my Golf TDI brand spanking new. My buddy at work who had an identical car traded his in for a new Acura and got 21k trade in for it. Buying a TDI unless it has a fuckton of miles on it is almost always better to buy new. It's a really strange beast. The Golf TDI is essentially a GTI with a TDI engine for 4000 less.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I paid 24k for my Golf TDI brand spanking new. My buddy at work who had an identical car traded his in for a new Acura and got 21k trade in for it. Buying a TDI unless it has a fuckton of miles on it is almost always better to buy new. It's a really strange beast. The Golf TDI is essentially a GTI with a TDI engine for 4000 less.

I didn't really shop the GTI, but I've been with my friend on a couple of test drives, and yeah, a similarly equipped GTI was just shy of $29k. :psyduck:

I can't believe people shell out $30k+ for GTI's and $35k+ for the R. It's a loving hatchback.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I didn't really shop the GTI, but I've been with my friend on a couple of test drives, and yeah, a similarly equipped GTI was just shy of $29k. :psyduck:

I can't believe people shell out $30k+ for GTI's and $35k+ for the R. It's a loving hatchback.

If I could swing the extra 100 a month I'd get a Golf R. 262 hp awd, yes please. But then I'd lose my 42mpg :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

As Ultimateforce said, its all about the torque and how long it can be sustained. Those motors were built to put out peak torque of 400 ft lbs or more almost constantly.

You can reach maybe 350-375 ft lbs torque but only for a brief period with your TDI, and that is after tuning and injectors and a turbo upgrade.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3489661760.html

Wow, if only I needed a tow vehicle.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
UF's haulin' service and mobile bdsm disco.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's a 92 at the newest and would have had the naturally aspirated 7.3 IDI, not a powerstroke. They were absolute dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

that's a 92 at the newest and would have had the naturally aspirated 7.3 IDI, not a powerstroke. They were absolute dogs.

MUCH LIKE YOUR TRUCK!

My 6.9 makes great noises if I drive it like I stole it.

• Locked thread