Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Diesel-Electric Miata. Duh.

You joke, I've been torn for a long time if a diesel Miata would be the best or worst thing ever. I'm leaning towards best on account of how fun the groundswell of torque can be in a regular car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

As I understood it, they used one, long, belt.

Step 1: Remove entire front of car.

No, I'm not joking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9E4Vua32k

VW seem to have some sort of fetish for this, I know there's a Passat I've seen where the 'service position' is the entire front clip slid forwards a few inches on a couple of rods, and even my Polo had something in the Haynes manual that was easier with the front end gone.

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache.

*E* Exhaust manifold! That was it, happily I never had to touch it.

VVV That makes so much sense. :aaa:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2013

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you're not pinning the throttle everywhere you're gonna be going even slower. My car only makes 90hp but the 165lb-ft is enough to motivate it pretty well if you plant the throttle and short shift.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Is it normal for the tip of an old diesel injector to be tan coloured, exactly like a properly burning spark plug? I've just replaced a duff injector in my Peugeot 306 that was causing a non-start issue, and I'm kinda worried that the whole tip of it was that colour, but this is my first diesel so I dunno what to expect. :shobon:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CommieGIR posted:

Sounds like coking, if it was the old injector that looked like it, you were probably right to replace it.

Yeah it was the old one, the 'new' (less old) replacement had some carbon build-up on it but was otherwise still metal coloured.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What's the best way to clean an injector bore? My Peugeot's started blowing combustion gas back out from underneath an injector I replaced around a year ago and presumably the bore is now coated in gunk.

Likely as not I'll be back later to ask how to get a stuck injector out. :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CommieGIR posted:

Steel wire bottle brush.

Does your injector have a copper injector seal? You probably need to replace that.

Yes it does, and it got replaced when the injector was done. It's all academic at this point anyway, the leak is way worse than I thought it originally was and I don't think that injector is ever, ever coming back out of the head. The carbon's made it all the way out and has been spraying up the side of the head, I hate to think what the injector bore looks like.

• Locked thread