Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Love my TDI - 2000 VW Golf averages 48mpg when I drive nice, 43mpg if I'm playing in the mountains. Tows a trailer for the motorcycles with no complaints.

Rolled over 220k last week. Bought it with 81k and haven't had any trouble with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I'm seeing more and more VW TDIs on the road these days, seems like they are finally starting to catch.

About drat time. I thought I read that 1/5th of Volkswagen's sold this year were TDI.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel Hybrid

Is there some glaringly obvious reason why they aren't doing this? Even the drat VW Jetta hybrid is gas instead of diesel.

Those of you with TDI's, how many miles are you running between oil changes? I've always done every 5k with Rotella T6 and a new filter but have heard of people doing 10k just fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Billy Tully posted:

What are you scheming where you need this information? Please tell me a RWD something with a TDI.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's dreamed about building a little tube frame mid/rear engined car with a TDI power plant. I went as far as building the drat thing in solidworks at one point, need to see if I can find that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Who said you have to have a transmission? You could easy use gearsets and individual motors at the wheel.

And the diesel engine doesn't have to be as big if its just acting as a generator.

Here's your generator - http://us.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/air-cooled/epa-certified/

Available in 4.2, 5.8 and 8.3 horsepower. Bigger ones available as well, Dad has a John Deere with a 24hp Yanmar :black101:

drat you guys now I'm wanting to build a diesel electric hybrid instead of finish the Miata.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

If they've been properly cared for, the engine is bulletproof as long as you keep the right oil in it and change the timing belt on time. I remember hearing though that the 2000 on model bodies (IV generation) has issues with rust.

I have a 2000, 223k miles of commuting and some road trips. Rust is an issue if you live in the north, mine is rusting on the edge below the hatch glass and one of the fenders has a quarter size spot where the paint fell off from rust. It was a Wisconsin car until two years ago though and driven year round.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looking at a Merc diesel for my brother and as a general use cruiser, '83 300D with the OM617.952 engine. Anything in particular to look out for on these? How do the automatic transmissions tend to hold up? Assuming we do all work ourselves how are these for running expense?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Opensourcepirate posted:

Also TDI's can be very easily modified for more power, without sacrificing any fuel economy when not using the extra power. I recommend everyone get at least a tuning chip for the older 90 HP models.

I see these chips mentioned all the time but still haven't picked one up for my 2000 TDI. All the reviews I find talk about the power increase and mention slightly better MPG as a bonus. How much better economy are people seeing with these chips and what ones are recommended?

If I can get a couple more MPG (51 last road trip) and a bit more power for hauling and pulling a trailer I'll buy one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

How bad were the 6.2L diesels used in the older (mid 1980's) military CUCV Chevrolet's? Is it a case of serviceable but not great or more of swap it out first chance you get? Think I remember hearing about them being pretty underpowered but that's about all I remember from looking at them a few years ago.

Not even finished with one project and already scheming my next one...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Yeah I'm just going on the thing the car tells me right now. Hell I've really only got one fillup in it so I've yet to math out the real consumption. Pulling the trailer full of furniture 200 miles netted a reported 37mpg while averaging 65mph.

Calculate it out sometime to be sure but I think my Dad said the trip computer thing was decently accurate especially for long interstate cruising.

My 2000 Golf averages 48-50 commuting, 49.99 last tank. My commute (20mi) is 60mph highway and country roads with some elevation and two stop lights. If my brother drives it he gets 42-45 (the same I get with a trailer) mostly because he accelerates away from stops faster...makes a huge difference.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

I think you actually need to drive it hard to get it to avoid clogging/build up.

I was going to ask about this. Is it worth while to do an 'Italian Tuneup' type drive once and a while to clean out diesels or is that BS? Mines a 2000 TDI and it runs great but it really never sees high RPM or heavy throttle...am I making things worse by driving it nice all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Thirding this. Correct oil is essential to the mk4 and beyond common rail TDIs, and the quick change places can really screw up the motor if they are not putting the right oil in.

poo poo I brought in oil and a filter so the VW Dealership could change my oil when they did the timing belt. I may be an idiot but this engine has been running for the last 200k on this stuff (Rotella T6), I'm sticking with it.

• Locked thread