Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

crutt posted:

7.3L and 15 MPG. I approve this thread.
If you're not talking about the Mazda, I'll be very upset.

EDIT: Actually, I have a slightly unusual request for one of the 1.9 VW guys. Could someone tell me the total effective engine length? As in from the bellhousing mounting face to the end of the crank nose assembly/accessory pulley?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I have a slightly unusual request for one of the 1.9 VW guys. Could someone tell me the total effective engine length? As in from the bellhousing mounting face to the end of the crank nose assembly/accessory pulley?

Anyone able to help me out?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Ive been looking dave, I might have to measure my own engine but for the life of me I cant find it

Billy Tully posted:

I missed this question somehow but give me a sec.

e: 47.7cm
Thanks guys!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Billy Tully posted:

What are you scheming where you need this information? Please tell me a RWD something with a TDI.
Afraid not, it's whether it would fit in a Panda. Actually, I know it probably would fit, as it's been done, but it's whether it could be done neatly.

The problem is that the original FIRE lump is really rather small, about 16" long, and is already fairly stuffed in there. The "sensible" option is a 1368cc FIRE, but I quite fancy a diesel.

It's not an immediate concern. I'm pretty drat slack about getting on with any of my cars at the best of times, but it seemed like a good opportunity to ask.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Diesel-Electric Miata. Duh.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

Those little industrial diesels almost allow me to indulge a dirty little fantasy of mine. A diesel motorcycle.
They exist.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Generally, a diesel will produce at least as much engine braking as the equivalent-sized petrol engine, usually more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I do this every once in a while with my uncle's Je:crossarms: waitaminute
Oh. So it's not normal to be able to do that? I shoulda picked a different car to learn a manual on then I guess. :v: How would that work with, say, a poverty-spec Ford Fiesta, or something more powerful like a Mustang GT? Would the engine just die without being able to transfer enough power to the wheels?
Pretty much any car, on the flat, can be taken from a standstill all the way through to top gear without touching the throttle. It's good practice for clutch control.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You could get a pre-heater.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friend is seriously considering buying a 2.5 TDi A4, and I've agreed to help him do the cambelt when he does. Should I just shoot myself?

CommieGIR posted:

Ok, so I gotta do piston rings, the question comes up:

The current OEM standard rings are leaking compression, I'm thinking stepping up to a .25mm oversize ring set, but would I need to replace the pistons as well?

Isn't an oversize ring set just slightly longer around the circumference, to go with the larger pistons? I'd have thought putting them on a standard piston would simply result in little or no gap, and they'd end up too loose on the piston even if they filled the bore better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Replacement of the cambelts
As I understood it, they used one, long, belt.

KozmoNaut posted:

over $2500, as far as I can remember. There may have been other things included in that as well, but you gotta figure that if it costs that much at a garage, it'll be seven shades of hell trying to do it yourself.
Step 1: Remove entire front of car.

No, I'm not joking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9E4Vua32k

• Locked thread