Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It seems like my 2013 Golf TDI gets significantly worse mileage the colder the temperature gets. Am I crazy or is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I am searching for a diesel as my next car to daily drive and boy they sure have an inflated value.

When I was shopping I recall seeing 2 year old Jettas with 50k on the clock listing for around a thousand less than new ones. I doubt they're selling for that much, but that's loving nuts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I paid 24k for my Golf TDI brand spanking new. My buddy at work who had an identical car traded his in for a new Acura and got 21k trade in for it. Buying a TDI unless it has a fuckton of miles on it is almost always better to buy new. It's a really strange beast. The Golf TDI is essentially a GTI with a TDI engine for 4000 less.

I didn't really shop the GTI, but I've been with my friend on a couple of test drives, and yeah, a similarly equipped GTI was just shy of $29k. :psyduck:

I can't believe people shell out $30k+ for GTI's and $35k+ for the R. It's a loving hatchback.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

With the lack of a throttle valve and associated vacuum pumping drag is there really any point in downshifting for engine braking in everyday driving with a TDI?

My TDI doesn't seem all that different to my old SVT Focus in regards to engine braking.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cancelbot posted:

Sorry I didn't explain thoroughly enough - the issue isn't in the starting/morning. It's even after I've been driving for a few hours, if I start idling in traffic or it's stop-start with the heater on low the engine eventually cools to the point where it has to increase its RPM to compensate. We have a petrol Yaris as well and that's painfully hot after 2 miles and stays hot. I will be trying the cover though!

This sounds like it might be a thermostat that's stuck open? I don't have much experience with Diesels, and it hasn't been that cold here either, but I've had the thermostat on a couple of different cars stick open and they had similar issues to what you're describing except that they'd never get up to operating temperature. My Golf is usually up to temperature after a few miles on the highway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the audi A3 tdi?

I am really reconsidering selling the 2008 forester I have. 23-25mpg is not so great and I'm not sure I should bother with AWD here in Seattle.

It's a lot of money for a Golf with a slightly nicer interior.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just did my first real road trip with my Golf and got an indicated 36.4 mpg for the whole 1500 mile trip. Not bad since we had 4 dudes and all of our ski gear stuffed inside and the entire first half of the trip was uphill from Kansas City to Breckenridge. We originally started with the boards and skis up on the roof rack which was absolutely murdering the mileage we were getting, but the rack attachment failed so we had to jam everything inside and it went way up from there :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

I really want one. :(

If the prices on them had been lower I would have seriously considered one when I was looking. Was the only car with an auto I even considered.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

That sounds about right. I did 2000 miles round trip over the week of new years by myself from Denver to Huntsville, TX and got about that kind of mileage, but I was averaging 80mph the whole way. I don't get the best mileage in mine though because I have 19" wheels instead of the stock 17s.

I think we averaged about 77mph for the whole trip. I wonder how bad the mpg would have been if the rack attachment hadn't flown off? We got like 27mpg on the first tank with it up there for most of that tank. Winds were never really favorable either way either.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TorpedoBeetle posted:

The fuel economy drop-off once the weather turned cold was sharper than I expected

It's kind of amazing how much my mileage varies based on the outside temperature. I've never had a gas car with an MFD so I'm not sure if it's different or not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I super TDI obsessed right now. Too bad I can only find Jettas, I'd kill for a Golf.

When I was shopping, I never saw a single used Golf TDI. Not once. With used car prices what they are I probably wasn't going to buy used, but I didn't see a single one. It's kind of awesome knowing that if I ever decide to sell mine it'll go almost instantly at some ludicrous price :cool:

I definitely don't have any regrets so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

drat it, that is exactly what I want to buy, but I know I can't afford new with my credit the way it is.

I don't know how I did it, but I was somehow able to keep my credit in decent shape when I was poor.

My final 2 choices were between the FR-S and the Golf. I don't think the FR-S would have handled the kayak or the trip to Breckenridge with 4 dudes as well as the Golf has. I'll pick up the fun car in a couple of years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I generally prefer 2 doors but went with the 4 door for usefulness. It's already done a trip to Breckenridge with 4 dudes and all of our gear.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I haven't looked at my jack, are they still putting those pieces of poo poo in the new models?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

qutius posted:

I happened to check APRs site and see they have a tune for the TDI now. I REALLY liked their GTI tune but wondered if it was worth it with the diesel.

They have a sale knocking $100 bucks off at the moment, taunting me further and just in case you end up checking them out.

The early reviews were pretty mediocre. I personally plan on going with either the Malone tune or the one from GIAC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

xelpmoc posted:

A week ago I traded my Mazda 3 for this 2013 TDI. I sorta miss the handling feel of the 3 but this engine is pretty fantastic.

Also the 3 was automatic and this is not and I will never make that mistake again.

I test drove a Mazda 3 before I bought my TDI and the TDI felt way better to me. Like not even close better.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

The golf has electric power assist. It adjusts assist depending on speed. I really like it compared to traditional power steering. I went from a GLI that had the sport suspension to the TDI and thought about changing springs to get a bit stiffer ride, but once you get used to the way it handles, it really is almost perfect. It doesn't beat the poo poo out of you, is -just- tall enough to not scrape constantly and let you hoon around like an rear end in a top hat. My GLI at factory ride height was scraping everything. In the Golf I can barrel through intersections and parking lot entrances without dragging rear end.

I want to do the driver gear springs at some point, but not really having to worry about that kind of stuff really is nice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

schmagekie posted:

I don't know what you guys are doing... I average 48-52 in my 2012 Golf TDI.

I don't commute downhill both ways with a 20kt tailwind? I think my best tank so far is 42.5 mpg.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've driven manuals my entire life and have never had any issues with the hill assist. It disengages when you touch the gas pedal. I don't even notice it 99.9% of the time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I get around 42mpg tank average.

That's pretty good in all honesty. I've barely cracked 42mpg on a couple of tanks, the rest are usually quite a bit below that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

had my first encounter with filling up where the station's diesel nozzles were too small and the misfuel adapter wouldnt ley me put in the clearly labeled yellow diesel nozzle... anyone with a 2013 tdi encounter this issue at any specific chains?

I've only seen it at smaller independent stations. They're just putting regular gas nozzles on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Was out messing around today and test drove a Q5 with the 3.0TDI. God drat I want that engine in an A4.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

The 245hp 3.0 TDI is an engine option on the A4, so buy one? :confused:

Maybe in commie land. 2.0T or bust here. Also, you want a wagon? :lol: here's an allroad(also only available with a 2.0T!).

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 28, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VacaGrande posted:

The stories online of people having to pay $8k-$10k after VW says "well you MUST have put gas in instead of diesel" are enough to scare me away. If VW would actually extend the warranty to 100k on the HPFP like BMW has then I'd probably get a JSW. Unless Acura will just make the TSX wagon with a stick that I and exactly 3 other people want to buy.

I haven't heard any stories of VW not covering the cost of HPFP replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Motortrend test of the Q5 TDI

quote:

A few weeks before I got into this Audi Q5 TDI, I spent several days in the SQ5, which is basically a lifted S4 wagon. The SQ5 is a land rocket for families that will leave some sports car drivers wondering if they made the right choice in vehicle. As you can imagine, I was prepared for a big step down in performance with the diesel version, which wasn't even an S model. After a week of the normal suburban grind followed by a short family road trip, I came away wondering which version of the Q5 is the clear winner.

First let's start with some specs. The Q5 TDI is powered by Audi's 3.0 liter direct-injection turbo diesel V-6 which produces 240 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque. For comparison sake, the SQ5 uses a supercharged 3.0 liter gas V6 producing 354 hp but only 347 lb-ft of torque. The Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, which might be the Audi's closest natural competitor, also uses a 3.0 liter turbocharged V6 producing 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. The Q5 TDI weighs in at a relatively svelte 4415 lb while the Jeep has nearly half a ton on it weighing in at 5401 lb. The Jeep is substantially bigger on the outside, measuring 7.2 inches longer than the Audi's 182.6 length and 2.6 inches wider than the Audi's 82.2 inch width. The substantial size difference results in just 0.7 inches difference in front legroom and 1.2 inches in rear legroom. The biggest difference is 11 cubic-feet in trunk volume, the Audi at 57.3 compared to the Jeep's 68.3 cubic feet.

So, what difference does a thousand pounds make in performance numbers? Turns out it's huge. The Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel is no slouch getting to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 16.0 seconds at 83.3 mph. The Audi TDI however destroys it, blasting to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds and ripping through the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 92.8 mph. Well what about the Grand Cherokee with 5.7 liters of thumping of V-8? Nope, Audi still takes it to school with the V8 Jeep still needing 6.6 seconds to get to 60 mph and 14.9 seconds for the quarter, but it does match the Audi's trap speed. So the moral of the story: unless you're in the SRT Grand Cherokee, don't mess with Audis at the stoplight grand prix.

Acceleration, especially at launch, is downright shocking in the Audi. The TDI is actually a tenth of a second faster to 30 mph than the SQ5, 1.7 seconds compared to a 1.8. Brake torqueing the TDI gives a little exhaust growl, but also a little whistle from the turbo spooling. Side step the brake pedal and all 428 lb-ft of torque twists through the driveline and yanks the ground from under you using all four contact patches. The first couple of launches were downright shocking in their force. It's completely unexpected in a vehicle that looks so sedate. While I'm not sure I could buy a Q5 and not check the $3500 S-Line box on the order sheet, I can really appreciate the sleeper aspect of this car. After 30 mph, the SQ5 can use all that horsepower up high to walk away from the TDI, but at the low-end, there isn't a comparison.

As we know, roads aren't always straight, and the Audi again excels in the turns. The Q5 TDI, even in non-S trim, puts in a pretty impressive 26.8 second figure-8 lap which is only 0.4 seconds behind the SRT's lap time and 2.4 seconds faster the diesel Jeep's lap. The Audi also does 60-0 mph a full 7 feet shorter than the Grand Cherokee Diesel's 122 feet. The SQ5 does the figure-8 in 25.9 seconds and stops from 60 mph in 104 feet.

In fairness, as stated above, all roads aren't straight, but all roads aren't paved, either. Without testing back-to-back I can't say with 100% certainty, but my gut feeling is that if you want to go offroad, and I mean really offroad, there is no choice but the jeep. The Audi will be phenomenal in snow and on dirt roads, but on real trails, it will quickly become obvious which one is the SUV and which one is the CUV.

If you were buying by the pound, the Grand Cherokee is without a doubt the better deal. The Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 EcoDiesel we've been referencing here came in at $56,990 while the Audi Q5 TDI we tested had a sticker price of $51,445. Our tester came with the MMI Navigation Plus Package that includes a rear view camera, driver information display, navigation, voice control, Audi Connect and HD Radio. The only other option is the Glaciar White Metallic paint that is responsible for $500 of the final price. Our Real MPG Testing matched up with the EPA ratings of 24 city, 31 Highway pretty well with our tester recording 23.5 mpg urban and 33.1 mpg in extra-urban. The Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel is rated at 21/28 city/highway mpg respectively. Again, that extra 1000 lb and bigger frontal area take their toll.

So the question is, if it came time to plunk down my hard-earned cash on either the TDI or the supercharged SQ5 which way would I go? Well, I think if it were my money, the TDI with S-Line package is the way to go. Not only would I feel better about using less fuel, but the fact that the TDI will easily surpass a 500 mile range on road trips is what makes it so attractive. There is also that deep down low diesel torque that makes it so effortless to accelerate in everyday situations.

Go test drive one of these if you can. The powertrain is just flat out amazing. Really wish it was available in the platform I wanted here.

• Locked thread