Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

crutt posted:

7.3L and 15 MPG. I approve this thread.

:hfive:
I drive the same truck at work. 15 mpg while towing 4 tons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I drive a Ford Powerstroke turbodiesel for work and I love the drat thing.

So I'm now actually considering a used VW TDI for a DD, like a few people in this thread, in the cheaper end of the range. Unfortunately I am on a tight budget and they hold value pretty well. I just re-read the thread and there were a few other questions from folks looking for the same thing.

Looking locally I see a 2006 Jetta with 170K miles, maint records, and new brake pads, front rotors, clutch, tires, and battery within the last year asking $6900 negotiable. Also a 2001 4 door Golf with 125K miles asking $5500. Both are manual transmission. I have no preference on body type. I think the mileage is totally acceptable on either one if they check out without any other issues. Neither price strikes me as outrageous, but also not particularly good. Anything TDI-specific that I need to be on the lookout for when looking for a cheaper used one? Any model years to avoid?

So far from the thread I have:
-timing belt changes
-what engine oil was used (check for blowby)

And normal obvious used-car stuff.

Ceteris paribus, is the difference between the engine generations significant enough to effect my decision? Other than the small boost in hp and torque - I'm primarily concerned with reliability.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Opensourcepirate posted:

I don't think there's any years to avoid. The VE Engines (96-2003) are very reliable, and the PD engines (2004-2006) are similar except for some issues with camshafts wearing out / breaking. This means that the kind of oil used is more important for the newer engines, as using the wrong oil can accelerate cam wear.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

The 2006 Jetta sounds like a better deal with the limited information provided.

Thanks for the info. The seller of the '06 got back to me with some more details. Sounds like he was the 2nd owner but had it for 5 years and really kept on top of the maintanence. Timing belt was done at 104k.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well the 06 got bought out from under me.

Going to look at this one tomorrow, does anything about this ad copy scream BS to anyone who knows more about the VW TDIs? The thing I am most concerned about is the software tune since this will be a commuter car. Never heard of Kelly tires but it looks like they're a Goodyear subsidiary. edit to add: My county requires emissions tests, and you CANNOT have any CEL on and pass. Anyone know if the EGR delete will effect that?

Craigslist posted:

"What I am offering for sale is my 2001 VW Golf TDI 5 speed. Recent major surgery has hindered my ability to drive a manual transmission for the forseeable future. I'm a certified VW technician and the maintenance on this TDI is beyond perfect. Recent maintenance is to include but not limited to new VW Kevlar 100k timing belt, water pump tensioner and pulleys. All filters and fluids are new. While performing this service I removed the intake and cylinder head and hot tanked both to remove all carbon buildup from the use of the old style diesel fuel that was offered in USA when the car was built. All tires are excellent condition Kelly charger all season radials. Brakes are new in front and about 75% on rear. I installed European ALH diesel software that deletes the troublesome EGR system and increases HP to 110 vs 90. very nice difference. The car overall is in very nice condition cosmetically. In a TDI you need to know what's going on under the hood and the upkeep. Don't just look for the shiniest paint job from a local lot with an unknown history of the vehicle. My average fuel economy is 51 city/highway. It can achieve 56mpg on the open highway not using a/c. average tankful goes between 600-690 depending on driving habits and conditions. I will provide the new owner with 14q of VW TXT05 oil and 3 OE oil filters for 15k of maintenance. The TDI has 138k total miles."
tl;dr 2001 2-door, manual Golf TDI with 138K miles supposedly owned by a VW tech.

He is asking $4900 and as fast as used TDIs sell around here I don't think I will get anywhere by trying to negotiate.

It's on the high side for the age but if it's in as solid of shape as he describes I think it might be worth it.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 29, 2013

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet, that's good news. As long as it checks out as described I think I'm going to grab it tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well the 2001 sold just before I came out to see it. Guy said he had so many people calling about the car he had to turn his phone off. Sigh.

• Locked thread