Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dash_aremsc
Oct 18, 2010

"Have you ever wondered about the story of Cain, Ed? He made his sacrifice in good faith. Why did God refuse it?"
Very long time lurker at SA, and being in the market to get myself a TDI this coming summer, figured I would take the plunge and post in this thread, with some requests for advice!

If I am looking to get a TDI Golf (ideal) or Jetta in the $6000-$8000 range, approximately what sorts of mileage should I look for to find a good deal? Any suggestions for best venues to get a deal on diesel in the US?

Additionally, have heard claims that automatic transmissions are better for mileage on a TDI, because the additional heat output from the transmission is a more certain mileage improver than shifting carefully in a manual. Thoughts on this?

Also, someone mentioned using a Golf for towing motorcycles; any TDI Jetta folks with positive towing experiences?

Assuming this car eventually does get purchased, perhaps a thread will be created about the long drive (am leaning towards purchasing in North Carolina, due to lower costs and rust-free cars from no winters, to get up north to Ohio). Possibly even with photos. Yes/no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread