Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Raw_Beef posted:

03 TDI Golf.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Yes, I don't know if it was an actual recall or not but VW was replacing the clips with metal ones for free for a while. I had the same thing happen to both my front windows coming back from a ski trip. I was at a toll booth and hit the button and heard the motor activate but the window didn't move. I gave it a nudge and BAM! It went down.

Hm. Actually it looks like it was a 7 year warranty extension.

http://www.vwproblems.com/problems/window-falls-into-door.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

NinjaTech posted:

Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend.

Congrats! Looks like it's in good shape. You're doing a lot better than my 2002 Golf 2.0. Last tank = 17.24mpg.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Pedal to the Metal eh?

There is truly no point; it's the most uninspiring engine I've ever driven. When I was living in France I had a friend with a MKIV Golf TDI 4motion (5-6 speed?) and another with a chipped Seat Léon turbo diesel. I've got a thread open on vwvortex soliciting ideas about my mileage...but that is non-diesel related chatter.

Any further word of the VW Golf GTD coming here in 2014? I'm working on getting a new job and I would love to replace the Golf with a TDI.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TopherCStone posted:

Didn't Volvos also have a problem with their biodegradable wiring disintegrating?

Pre 1988.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I've been jonesing for a Golf TDI for a long time.

Here is the type of stuff that comes up for sale around me.

http://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/4798105696.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4793393268.html

2002 Vw Golf TDI 5 speed .190k miles .Runs drives stops .Guardrail pinstripe on the pass side. Just did timing belt, water pump and tensioners. Turbo isn't working. Still gets 40+ MPG . Has good Wv sticker. Text

I don't mind something that needs a bit of wrenching but I'd like for it not to be a total pile.

Do bargain diesel's exist or should I just give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The turbo is fairly easy to do in the car, just a little cramped. I'd recommend removing the intake manifold to do it, will give you a lot more space.

If you do a new turbo, it should last a good long time. Make sure you ask the PO about what oil they've been using.

Bargain diesels exist, mostly in the forms of Mercedes Benz, but usually when you find a bargain VW TDI, there are problem that need to be resolved. However, if the engine is running and not overheating or bleeding oil like a wounded beast, its generally stuff you can tackle with ease.

I've considered getting an MB but I had a Golf in the past and really really liked and used the practicality of the hatchback. My gripe I suppose is that I'm looking at a 10+ year old car and not only are they more expensive than their petrol counterparts, but then they are also usually in poorer repair (and they're all blue w/o a sunroof).

I'd like to offer the guy with the silver vw $1200 bucks, which is what I would do if it were a petrol turbo car (ok probably $1000 with that big scrape).

Alternatively, I could stop crabbing and pony up the cash for a cared for car or just stop lusting after a diesel - but my old bmw eats all of my money and I've got diesel fever.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Locked thread