Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

fknlo posted:

It seems like my 2013 Golf TDI gets significantly worse mileage the colder the temperature gets. Am I crazy or is this normal?

What you want is called a "winter front" -- it covers the grill to help the engine stay warm.

Also, are you going on mainly short trips? If so, your fuel economy will suffer and you'll get more fuel contamination in your oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

You can run bio in winter but you have to mix it with diesel, gas or kerosene.

B99 from recycled oil? With terrible quality control?

If it's gelling at 40F, I'd worry more about your injection pump than getting a tank heater...

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Opensourcepirate posted:

I don't think there's any years to avoid. The VE Engines (96-2003) are very reliable, and the PD engines (2004-2006) are similar except for some issues with camshafts wearing out / breaking. This means that the kind of oil used is more important for the newer engines, as using the wrong oil can accelerate cam wear.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

The 2006 Jetta sounds like a better deal with the limited information provided.

Any PD cam that was going to break by now should already have broken. The only mechanical things you have to worry about are:

- clogged intakes from the EGR (causes power loss)
- gummed up vanes in the turbo (causes boost spikes)
- coolant migration
- automatic transmission is a 100k wear item

You really only have to worry about the first two if it's obvious the car's been babied its whole life, and the first problem is annoying, not fatal.

Coolant migration is a bitch and can happen to any A4 car. Make sure the coolant is not above the max line in the coolant bottle. Then unplug the sensor to the coolant bottle and check for any moisture inside the plug or inside the receptacle. If you see either of these things run, don't walk.

Tyro posted:

tl;dr 2001 2-door, manual Golf TDI with 138K miles supposedly owned by a VW tech.

He is asking $4900 and as fast as used TDIs sell around here I don't think I will get anywhere by trying to negotiate.

It's on the high side for the age but if it's in as solid of shape as he describes I think it might be worth it.

EGR delete in software is good. Physically removing the EGR system is better, check to make sure it's gone.

Also you want to chip it anyway, there's literally no downside, and you're saving $600 by having it done by someone else.

Absolutely buy that car.

Source: I used to own a heavily modified 2001 Jetta TDI

primitive fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 30, 2013

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

NinjaTech posted:

Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend. So far I've been loving it. It's way more comfortable than my Miata. Having more room is pretty great too. It also has pretty much all the mods I wanted to do anyways. The Raceland coilovers aren't nearly as bad as the PO made them out to be, but I'm also used to having the Miatas illuminas adjusted pretty stiff. It should get 45-50 mpg but on the first tank I only got 40mpg. It's hard to not mash the throttle and feel all those torques.

Mod list:
520 nozzles
Resealed injection pump for B100
stage 2 tune
Panzer aluminum skid plate
Black leather interior swap
Heated seats (needs the wire harness though)
VR6 clutch with single mass flywheel
Jetta inner fender liner for more airflow to the intercooler
GTI headlights with euro headlight switch
Riceland coil overs
Tinted windows
Aftermarket wheels

Major score

That's like every good mod for this car, the next place to go is turbo. And it looks super clean.

You can tell it was enthusiast owned because it has the VR6 clutch. G60 Corrado flywheel? That's the correct match. It'll chatter a little, that's completely normal. It'll also hold the torque that thing can put out. First gear basically does not exist on a car like that.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

NinjaTech posted:

The PO did say he got a "more aggressive stage 2 tune" so he could upgrade to the VNT17 without having to get it tuned again. I think it will be awhile before I can afford that though. The interior is super clean, really loving how good the black leather looks. The paint is pretty chipped up on the front. It doesn't help that there is dried wax in a lot of the chips either. I need to buff out the headlights soon too since they're just starting to haze.

Yeah first gear just gets you going enough to not stall it in 2nd. Otherwise it just spins the tires and esp comes on. I actually don't get any chatter out of the clutch. So far I don't really see a need for the dual mass flywheel since this setup is so smooth.

I'll try to get some more pics up this weekend.

Do you know anything more about the chip tune? The best ones are done by Rocketchip, they show up to most of the enthusiast meets and usually have a long waiting list. It sounds like you might have Jeff's "Stage 2+" tune, but it would be good to know for sure.

Also, do you know which 520 nozzles you have? Assuming they came from Kerma TDI, there's 3 different power levels that are all nominally "520" -- in increasing order, Sprint, PowerPlus (probably / hopefully what you have), and Race.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

TWBalls posted:

I've noticed a few of you talking about MT TDI's. I had a hell of a time finding a dealership that had any in stock and when they did, unfortunately, none were offered with any premium features. I was looking forward to having a manual again after my last car, but the DSG sure seems a lot nicer than the AT that was in my older 3.2TL Type-S. Since I'm currently commuting about 123Mi a day, I really wanted a descent Stereo and at least some luxuries.

The reason is because on the A4 body style the AT is practically a wear item.

Now on the newer body styles the "AT" is the DSG gearbox, and as other people have said it's robust and fun. Especially with flappy paddles. The only drawback I can think of is the $300 fluid replacement every 40k miles, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's a bad deal.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Dirk Funk posted:

So, the transmission on my car needs to be rebuilt and I'm thinking about just getting a new car rather than paying the $3K or so to fix it. I'm still driving the car now but don't know how long I can keep it up for. Right now, as long as I don't go up any steep hills are start from a stop on one I'm okay.

I've been looking into picking up a TDI VW like a Jetta or something for the gas mileage (current car is a 2003 Civic Hybrid) but I keep reason various things stating the VWs have some reliability issues and often need expensive repairs which is a concern. Is there any merit to this? Are there any particular years or models I should avoid?

I would be looking at automatics if that matters.

Avoid the A4 body styles. That's pretty much the low point. You'll want to look at the A5 or A6 body style, which is 2006 and newer. Golfs or Jettas should all be fine from this date onward.

The real problem you're going to have is finding someone who's willing to sell.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Dirk Funk posted:

Wouldn't really want to pay that but would like to have at least some coverage just in case.

A4 VWs were a really bad underwriting risk, and the 2011 probably doesn't have enough loss history for them to be able to tell that it's not crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

The Big Jesus posted:

Yeah there might no be much of a power (in the engineering sense) increase, but I'm sure the torque curve is much better.

That 150 ft/lb is heavily restricted. The VNT-15 in the VE is criminally restricted until you get a chip. Those little guys are good for 21 psi of boost at 2000 rpm for twice the torque when you add chip and injectors. At which point the weak point is the clutch.

• Locked thread