Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

angryrobots posted:

I know R12 is better, but I can't get it which means a trip to a mechanic for a marked up refrigerant that is expensive to start with. i don't like things I can't work on.

My E30 is R134a converted and worked great until the clutch started acting up; will probably work great again if I ever get around to shimming it.

Dude, r12 is cheaper than 134a anymore. No-one uses the poo poo anymore, so the remaining stock is basically unwanted and at worse, an environmentally hazardous waste that needs abatement. Check out your lical Craigs, you can buy cans $10 each all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been considering a new Jetta Sportwagon. The ol 240d still works great but I've put 50,000 on it and and it's a bit rough in places where it's never really going to get better without an undue infusion of cash and time. I'm interested in a vehicle that's a bit more "get in it and drive it" than the 240d. Not that the Mercedes has been unreliable, far from it, but at 31 years old there are things wearing out that had no expectation of having a maximum lifespan. It's also not that great at road trips and the a/c, while functional, is probably in need of a complete overhaul.

So that brings me to the TDI Sportwagon. I drove one the other day, an automatic 2013 model, and I liked it a lot except the transmission. This DPF thing worries me a bit, but I'm guessing it's ok and the minute it's not ok anymore I can find a DPF delete kit. I'm also a bit worried about VW reliability, which has a history of being not so great in the US. How about timing belts, is it a tough job?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Motronic posted:

Is this a troll?

If not, tell me exactly which Craigslist area I should be looking in because I have a nice new arbitrage business I'm going to set up.

Motronic posted:

Is this a troll?

If not, tell me exactly which Craigslist area I should be looking in because I have a nice new arbitrage business I'm going to set up.

No troll, that's what I bought it at last time, and I've got a dozen more cans coming at the same price.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

The Golf is much better when it comes to suspension. It's a smidge higher and softer than a GTI without being soft and fat like the wagen.

Hey I'm soft and fat like the wagen. Kinda funny to me cause coming from the 240d, the Sportwagen feels taught and almost sporty.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Alphius posted:

Here in the PNW it's still $25/12oz at the cheapest on craig's. Maybe lowball sellers until they give it up cheap?

Yeah I just checked my local Craig's and found the cheapest I can find is $20 a can. Although I did find a 30lb pig for $300, which works out to $16 for the equivalent 10oz can. I bet you could get it a bit cheaper as well. Anyway you go about it, the costs of R12 have really dropped and aren't really much higher than 134a anymore.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Really liking my new Sportwagen thus far. Picked it up last night and had my first real drive today. I took it out to Etrailer to have a receiver installed. There is a nice 3 mile stretch of perfectly flat, perfectly straight, and wonderfully smooth highway in the Chesterfield valley where the car reported a steady 56mpg with cruise control @ 67mph. That's DOUBLE what I normally get from old 240d.

Only thing I'm really iffy on at this point is the hill-hold. I keep stalling the drat car and I feel like a moron. Looks like I need a VAG-COM to adjust this. I haven't checked to see if the seatbelt minder will keep chiming at me or not, but I don't like that either if it does, and I'm not hot on the DRLs.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yeah I'm just going on the thing the car tells me right now. Hell I've really only got one fillup in it so I've yet to math out the real consumption. Pulling the trailer full of furniture 200 miles netted a reported 37mpg while averaging 65mph.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Should I be giving the turbo some cool-down time before shutting the engine off? I've never owned a turbocharged car before but that's something I seem to remember being a thing. I'm also trying to give it a little warm up time but this car doesn't seem to build heat quickly and I'm kinda stuck accelerating out of the valley I live in every morning. Perhaps a block heater?

Also I've been reading that VW doesn't recommend any fuel additives, but my experience with diesel fuel in my area indicates some anti-gel is going to be necessary come winter sets in.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Kinda worried about two-stroke oil and the DPF. Not really interested in doing a DPF delete this early in the ownership experience. I've got mixed feelings on the whole DPF thing, on one hand I think it's really cool the inside of the exhaust tips is perfectly clean, and if that's better for meerkats in Zimbabwe or whatever I think that's great too. On the other it's really kinda sucky the drag it puts on fuel mileage (and it keeps getting worse and worse as it gets filled with ash) and that it must be replaced at some point at pretty heavy expense.

On the upside, it's my understanding that EGR sniffs from the exhaust AFTER the DPF, so no more coked up intakes.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My understanding of the DPF is that as it fills up with soot, a regen cycle will commence. During this cycle the engine dumps more fuel than normal to burn the soot down to ash. As the DPF eventually fills up with unburnable ash, it's capacity to hold soot is decreased, and thus regen cycles happen more frequently. Now regen cycle frequency is also dictated in part by driving style and usage pattern, so perhaps you use your car in a manner that doesn't frequently call for regen cycles, and thus no difference is noticed. Additionally the DPF itself represents an increase in exhaust back pressure, and it's pretty well accepted science that back pressure decreases turbo efficiency.

Now, in regards to temperature, you may not be adding anything to your fuel to keep it liquid at -39c, but someone is. Number 2 diesel would have the consistency of jello at that temp, and I have diesel fuel experience in my area to know that what is available here typically gels when the temps drop below 15f ambient.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 10, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm far from an expert, I'm really just starting to learn right now. What I know is that VW recommends checking the DPF for the first time at 120,000 miles in North American cars. What they check specifically for is ash loading. I believe what prevents regen cycles more than anything is sustained high speed (engine speed) operations. So highway driving would likely be good I think.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Everything about the 6.0 is terrible. Here's a great resource to start with: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-1208-every-six-liter-power-stroke-diesel-issue-solved/

Quick list:
Head bolts suck (blown head gaskets)
EGR system sucks (clogs easily, multiple locations and EGR valve itself)
Fuel system sucks (leaks commonly, multiple locations)
Fuel injectors suck (get stuck open/closed)
HPFP leaks, fails and sucks
Turbo sucks (variable vanes stick)
Turbo oiling system sucks (oil backs up in turbo, gets cooked and cokes up)
Oil cooler sucks (clogs up easily)
Fuel Injection computer failures (early models mostly)
Engine wiring harness failures (WTF Ford, this is the kind of non-moving part that shouldn't be subject to regular failure)
Access to engine sucks (lifting the cab off frame is necessary to do many of the jobs above)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

VacaGrande posted:

The stories online of people having to pay $8k-$10k after VW says "well you MUST have put gas in instead of diesel" are enough to scare me away. If VW would actually extend the warranty to 100k on the HPFP like BMW has then I'd probably get a JSW. Unless Acura will just make the TSX wagon with a stick that I and exactly 3 other people want to buy.

Hey, I would have bought it. I liked it so much I even considered one with automatic and gas motor. There was hope though, I held out for hope of a diesel manual, but it never came. Then came Mazda, and they talked up their new skyactiv-D and swore we would see it this year, but I gave up waiting. And good riddance too cause all those fuckers backed out of their poo poo. I was excited though, I've owned Mazdas and Hondas before, we had history and I was ready to repeat it. Fuckem though, if they're not going to make the car I want, I'll buy it from those who do. So I did, and so far I really like my TDI JSW.

• Locked thread