Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Between this thread and the wagon thread I have started to look for a Jetta TDI wagon. I might have to settle for a sedan though since wagons seem to be priced a bit higher. I did have a question about 99.5's. Are they as good as the 2000-03's? and how would I identify them? I couldn't find any information on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

CommieGIR posted:

The 99.5s are the ALH, a good engine with the addition of a VNT (variable vane turbo) it improved the low range performance quite a bit. Its a good engine. If you get a later model (2003) check to see if it is the ALH (should have injector lines going to the head where the spark plugs would be on a gas car) or a BEW (PD Engine). If it is a BEW PD engine, avoid it. The Pump Deuse motors started to pop up around 2003 and had camshaft issues.

The wagons are drat hard to find, not so much that they were popular (they were) but there were not as many wagons made as there were standard Jettas and Passats. If you find one, go for it. Most people hold on hard to their TDI Wagons.

Awesome thanks. One problem I'm having with finding a wagon, or even a sedan for that matter, is find a manual one that doesn't have a poo poo ton of miles on it. I'm not concerned about the engine blowing up from high miles, it's just chassis related stuff that will need to be replaced sooner. It also affects my loan term and apr for anything over 125k.

My friend has a 2010 TDI sportwagon and the dealer is always calling him to try to buy it. It seems like they've been getting more popular.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
well I just test drove this wagon: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/3522188378.html

The dealer would only go down to $9,500 on it. It had too many things missing or damaged on it to warrant that price. I bid him at $7,000 but they wouldn't even try to negotiate. I ended up just walking out with the salesman not looking very happy.

It was pretty comfortable though and moved better than expected. I did stall it once though. I couldn't just let the clutch out at idle on an incline I guess.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I drove a 2004 sedan from that dealer earlier. It was priced at 9k with 148k on it. It drove much better than the previous wagon but they don't negotiate pricing. I also decided that I don't really want a sedan. I would rather have a Golf or a wagon.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3574273543.html

I'm thinking of looking at that wagon. I haven't talked to the guy about it yet but I figured I see if you guys think it's worth getting a PD car. I saw that there can be issues with the cam but I'm not sure if that issue is blown out of proportion or not. It also looks like mods cost a little more.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I never heard back about that wagon. I'm assuming it sold and they're just one of those assholes that doesn't delete their ads.

Anyways, I'm going to look at this 2003 Golf tomorrow. It's got all the mods I wanted done to it and it's lower miles. He said the coilovers on it are racelands that are way too stiff. So, I'll probably be swapping on the stock struts and springs.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3585786740.html

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend. So far I've been loving it. It's way more comfortable than my Miata. Having more room is pretty great too. It also has pretty much all the mods I wanted to do anyways. The Raceland coilovers aren't nearly as bad as the PO made them out to be, but I'm also used to having the Miatas illuminas adjusted pretty stiff. It should get 45-50 mpg but on the first tank I only got 40mpg. It's hard to not mash the throttle and feel all those torques.

Mod list:
520 nozzles
Resealed injection pump for B100
stage 2 tune
Panzer aluminum skid plate
Black leather interior swap
Heated seats (needs the wire harness though)
VR6 clutch with single mass flywheel
Jetta inner fender liner for more airflow to the intercooler
GTI headlights with euro headlight switch
Riceland coil overs
Tinted windows
Aftermarket wheels

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

primitive posted:

Major score

That's like every good mod for this car, the next place to go is turbo. And it looks super clean.

You can tell it was enthusiast owned because it has the VR6 clutch. G60 Corrado flywheel? That's the correct match. It'll chatter a little, that's completely normal. It'll also hold the torque that thing can put out. First gear basically does not exist on a car like that.

The PO did say he got a "more aggressive stage 2 tune" so he could upgrade to the VNT17 without having to get it tuned again. I think it will be awhile before I can afford that though. The interior is super clean, really loving how good the black leather looks. The paint is pretty chipped up on the front. It doesn't help that there is dried wax in a lot of the chips either. I need to buff out the headlights soon too since they're just starting to haze.

Yeah first gear just gets you going enough to not stall it in 2nd. Otherwise it just spins the tires and esp comes on. I actually don't get any chatter out of the clutch. So far I don't really see a need for the dual mass flywheel since this setup is so smooth.

I'll try to get some more pics up this weekend.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I don't think it was rocket chip. I know it was done at a place around Portland. I'm not sure which 520's they are but it only smokes when I go full throttle in boost. I'll try getting a hold of the PO to ask.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I heard back from the PO. He said the injectors are Titan 502's and it got tuned at InMotion Tuning in Portland. Also according to their site, I should be making about 140hp and 240ft/lbs with their tune and nozzles.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I've been having an issue with hard starting when the engine is cold. The glow plugs don't seem to come on at all. It doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is either. 40F or 80F, it still has trouble. Less so when it's 80F though. I know the plugs work since I can unplug my coolant temp sensor, which I recently replaced, and it will fire right up after the plugs cycle. So unless I installed a bad brand new CTS I don't think it's that. Do you guys have any ideas? I can check for codes again but It only ever throws an EGR code since it's been deleted.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

veedubfreak posted:

Thoughts regarding using my TDI Golf to tow a bug 1000ish miles from Arizona back to Colorado? Not sure how comfortable I am with driving out to buy a bug then attempting to make the 1000 mile trek back in it.

I'd be ok with it, depending on how it's being towed. I regularly tow 1200lbs + ~300lbs of cargo with my Golf TDI and have no issues. There are also guys that tow 5000lb airstreams all over the country that don't seem to have any major issues.

NinjaTech posted:

I've been having an issue with hard starting when the engine is cold. The glow plugs don't seem to come on at all. It doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is either. 40F or 80F, it still has trouble. Less so when it's 80F though. I know the plugs work since I can unplug my coolant temp sensor, which I recently replaced, and it will fire right up after the plugs cycle. So unless I installed a bad brand new CTS I don't think it's that. Do you guys have any ideas? I can check for codes again but It only ever throws an EGR code since it's been deleted.

I finally figured out my hard starting issue. I ordered a VCDS kit from Ross-tech and got it on friday. Saturday I got it all setup and checked my pump timing. The timing was so retarded that it wouldn't even show up on the graph. So after setting the timing it now starts like a champ when cold.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

veedubfreak posted:

Bug towbar. All 4 wheels on the ground just like a trailer.

And if I get out there and something doesn't look right, I'm only out the fuel and a couple days of driving.

I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do that with my golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

CommieGIR posted:

The CTS may be bad still. What model/year?

It's a 2003 Golf GL with the ALH engine. It looks like the CTS is fine. What makes you think it could be bad?

• Locked thread