Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I think the best was when I had some wannabe hippies screaming about no blood for oil when I was filling up my F250 with B99 Biodiesel. I guess the huge banners everywhere with BIODIESEL in three foot tall letters where too hard to read.

What was sad is they had a one year old car and it was already beat to poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the junkyard now already. I wouldn't run Bio in the winter unless you lived in a warm place or had tank heaters. I had problems with gelling at like 40F. Someday I need to have my old truck gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

You can run bio in winter but you have to mix it with diesel, gas or kerosene.

Yeah, or you could just change the grade from B99 to B5

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

primitive posted:

B99 from recycled oil? With terrible quality control?

If it's gelling at 40F, I'd worry more about your injection pump than getting a tank heater...

I guess Bio made from animal gels differently than bio from plants. You also have to remember this happened 6 or more years ago.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

that's a 92 at the newest and would have had the naturally aspirated 7.3 IDI, not a powerstroke. They were absolute dogs.

MUCH LIKE YOUR TRUCK!

My 6.9 makes great noises if I drive it like I stole it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I really wish people would stop doing pull offs like this, it doesn't mean poo poo, just who has the better traction.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Modern diesel engines have engine braking characteristics more akin to petrol engines. This is due to additional devices to allow them comply with emissions regulations. Two in particular cause significant engine braking:
1) Particulate filter
This device filters out soot particles before they exit the exhaust, but it creates a large obstruction in the exhaust path. This causes considerable backpressure, much more than from the turbo charger mentioned above
2) EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator)
This device sucks exhaust gas back into the air intake and is usually controlled by a throttle which, depending on the design, can cause a restriction effect similar to that in petrol engines.

This might explain a little why you feel more engine braking now, than on say, my 6.9L without any stuffin' in the mufflers. You should check out the neat stuff Cummins does with it's C-brake.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

The DPF also makes for one hell of variation in braking power if you are going down a grade when it decides to do a regen. I noticed this after taking the same route a few times through the mountains when I traveled for work. For example down I-26 as it exits the Appalachians sometimes 4th gear would hold me at the speed limit with no braking but sometimes 4th and regular braking was required. As I got more used to the engine I could pick up when it was doing a regen (higher idle, rougher running, slight odor) and it matched up perfectly for those times that I had to get on the brakes.

Yeah, my turbo starts to sound more nasty when I'm regening.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Hummer Driving human being posted:

What are the merits of a diesel engine with an "extremely low 14:1 compression ratio" vs an engine with a higher compression ratio?

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/skyactiv-d.html

I don't know if it's all that great, but one thing I did notice was that they reduced a shitload of weight. Which makes the bean counter's dicks hard, because pulling 65+ pounds of metal out of a block saves money per engine. I always worry when they start pulling metal out of blocks and heads, as that seems to lead to more cracked blocks and heads. Seems to be some neat voodoo they are pulling with fuel timing.

quote:

Here, too, fuel-economy claims are impressive: 31 to 33 mpg city and 43 mpg highway for a Mazda 6 with the 2.2-liter diesel. Does an over-40-mpg family sedan sound good to anyone else?

Output beats the gas engine in both regards: 173 hp at 4500 rpm and 310 lb-ft at 2000. Redline has been raised to a screaming (for a diesel) 5200 rpm, versus its predecessor’s 4500.

I like that 310 lb-ft out of a 2.2L.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

That's because you weren't. Two thousand pounds is less than a third of what the truck weighs.

Why are those trucks so loving Porky? My C3500 is 4500lbs non-diesel.

Ferremit posted:

The Diesel Skyactiv motors in the CX5 even have the added feature of "Bonus oil!"

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/backlash-over-mazda-cx5-diesel-oil-issues-20120821-24k6w.html

Apparently it looks like the regen cycle is a tad too energetic and dilutes the engine oil with unburnt fuel, requiring owners to check every 1000kms and if the oil goes above full, get it changed!

loving christ, some of our Volvos with the D13 engines kept doing that. Volvo couldn't figure out what was wrong and one of the engines blew sky high. poo poo was coming out the stack. Most likely hosed up the EPA ratings for 20 years.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

oxbrain posted:

It doesn't help that we have a dealer in Bellevue that specializes in TDIs. They buy up all the private sale cars that are half decent and jack the prices up. You're better off looking further away.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/3540770834.html
300k miles, automatic, totally worth $10k because it's the jack lalane of cars. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's only $4000+ over KBB, and 300,000 miles on unibody and wiring. What could go wrong?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Modern TDIs seem to be too drat efficient for their own good - I have the 105bhp 1.6 TDI in my Seat Ibiza and in barely-cold temperatures (1-2 degrees Celsius) using the heater saps enough engine heat for it to go back to fast idle again. Below -1 the car is constantly stuck in fast idle unless you do 60mph+ for a good hour.

Is this an actual problem or can I "solve" it by covering up some of the grille to block the cold air from coming in. You'd think the thermostat would be more aggressive in closing up.

That doesn't sound quite right. I've been running my big truck in -25C (-10F and lower) and no cover without a problem. Check and make sure your coolant isn't out of spec, and then try the cover trick.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Also, just thought of this, find out if it has coolant glow plugs, maybe they are burned out?

And like Interceptor said, check your coolant levels.

Not just level, but make sure it hasn't gone bad.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Everybody has their stupid maintenance items. Toyota/nissan v8s put the starter under the intake manifold. the FRS/BRZ requires you to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs. A ton of work on the 03-10 ford f-350s is a cab off job.

GM making you drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump comes to mind as well.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Modern diesel emmissions equipment has a particulate filter, which is basically a ceramic sponge. This catches soot and small particles that otherwise cause lung damage; periodically, the ecu will pour extra fuel out into the exhaust to heat it up and cause the poo poo to burn, releasing CO2 gas instead of fine particulate.

I think Powershift's dad tossed like 3000 gallons down his pipe over a hundred thousand miles or so.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

13,000 gallons in 300,000 miles. nearly 50% of the price of a new truck.

It would have been over 50% of the cost of my truck new at current diesel prices. It pays to buy trucks in bulk, just like toilet paper.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

Word is that the Homeland Security is going after people who deleted their DPFs, so trucks before 07 should go up in value.

That doesn't make sense. Not that I am disagreeing with you, but Homeland shouldn't be playing with smog laws.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wolrah posted:

Don't the DPF-equipped vehicles have a regen cycle that basically runs the engine super rich to raise the EGTs enough to clean the filters without needing any particular driving style? Wasn't that why the 6.7 Powerstrokes could become flamethrowers when originally released? I guess it could be a larger engine only thing, since I've only heard of that on diesel pickups and big rigs (where I know in the trucking thread a few of the drivers have bitched about DPF regen raping their fuel mileage).

Yeah/Naw

The engine still needs to be on and running for a regen to work, and it takes awhile. This fat gently caress when it wants a regen while rolling takes about 50 miles of driving. Shutting down in the middle of a regen cycle over and over again will make diesel cranky.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I keep forgetting your guys DPF are like the size of a pringles can, not a hot water heater.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The only complaint I can think of with the F250 4x4 diesels is a strange one (this is the 7.3/6.9 models). They are loving nose heavy. Which might not sound like a huge problem until it snows. It is a lot like driving a bobtail semi in the snow, 12,000 pounds on the nose and 7,000 pounds across 8 tires in the rear. Makes for a twitchy as gently caress ride. Thankfully it has a simple fix, drop weight above the rear axle.

Also, if you ever have to replace the starter, get the lighter, gear reduction one. God damned the old one was a loving bitch.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Hey, as a rancher do you know of anything that is still using a gas truck to tow? I cannot imagine the fuel costs of towing with a gas truck, especially as you get up there in the weight.

What, other than loving Snowbirds and their RVs? Or me and my Chevy 3500? :sigh:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Unloaded the Chevy has never made more than 15mpg. Towing the Kart trailer, 4mpg

That's better than me, well, I think I get better than 4mpg pulling my 30 foot 5th wheel, but not much, drat thing is it doesn't improve much when I'm just driving around. 454's are just ungry ungry ippos. Most of the rodeo people around here have diesels, and the only gas trucks I see are mine company trucks (I think because they get a cut rate on them, and the fuel won't gel) and Snowbirds.

The only reason I bought my 3500 was because of the loving price. Getting a screaming deal on a ex drug truck (with 10,000 pound rear axle) makes up for the lovely mileage since I don't drive that much.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Doesn't it use the 727?

Ah, might be a 4 speed Torqueflite.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

KDP has not been replaced, to the seller's knowledge. I suppose that might be an argument when talking price with the guy.

Any opinions on what the truck is actually worth? He says the pictures make the exterior look better than it really is. Basically I think the paint is gone and there are a few light dents. Edmunds TMV is like $1500 private party value which is obviously too low. Never shopped these trucks, and I only know what the newer ones go for (usually with a LOT more miles than this one too).

That's the damned thing, some people will sell them for next to nothing, others, they are worth their weight in gold. For me, it takes hits on being a auto and 2wd, but big ups for diesel and extracab. I mean 5 bills is a lot of green for that truck. I paid less for a one ton dually, full 5th and hitch towing, extracab and it was three years older, but even less mileage.

KKB is showing it's value at around 4K, so it's not that far off. Try for around there I guess?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope so. It depends on how quickly I noticed the flashing light. The fluid looks and smells ok to my eyes/nose:

What about taste-test?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

All aboard the transmission rebuild train! I just bought a ticket for the "heavy duty converter and synthetic fluid" section for $3200. It wasn't like I was going to be using that money to do other fun stuff or anything.

Three bills for a tranny?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) announced ¬today that its historic Columbus Engine Plant (CEP) is being readied to build the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel for Nissan’s next generation Titan pickup truck.

"This is an exciting announcement for our Cummins team," said Tom Linebarger, Chairman and CEO, Cummins Inc. "We are bringing our innovation and latest technology in engines and aftertreatment products to a new segment of customers. Importantly, this will help us grow our own business as well as allow us to help an important new partner, Nissan, succeed in the market."

Oh a pocket diesel V8!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Now if only the price of diesel would go down. It's not supposed to stay more expensive than gas during the summer god damnit.

Think of the mileage.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

Ah, didn't realise you had 16-litres, i thought ISXs were the biggest. (13.something?) I believe Volvo have now passed Scania for the most powerful OTR truck engine; 700hp, 2,323lb/ft. :aaaaa:

Naw, I have a 15L Cummins ISX. 435HP and 1650/1850 Switchable TQ. Doesn't sound like much, but last time I jumped the governor I did over 150kph and set a new GPS record. (153.692 to be spot on.) I think they are still making the cummins siggy ISX 600hp/2050ft, which was behind the well before EPA CAT 800+ hp monsters.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

:allears:

If only I wouldn't have to cut both my frame rails, my entire radiator/grille, and most of my hood off my truck to fit one of those in. I was looking at N14s and was incredibly happy until I found out how goddamn big they are on the outside.

Speaking of which... diesel nerds and truckers. Please tell me what the gently caress I can get a 330hp tuned Cummins C8.3 out of, preferably with an SAE bellhousing adapter that fits loving something or other an Eaton Fuller RTX14609B would come out of. I have been trying to find a way to figure out what donor vehicles have that engine and it sure seems goddamn impossible compared to finding the same info for passenger cars and light trucks. And there doesn't seem to be any way to verify what power tune would be on a particular engine, so any chucklefuck can claim theirs is the one you want or whatever and then it shows up and has 250hp instead of 330.

You looking for more power or more speed?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah they've had them in the US for quite awhile, they are mostly in the "big nose" trucks.

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/35952-volvo-d16-5.html

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

trouser chili posted:

My understanding of the DPF is that as it fills up with soot, a regen cycle will commence. During this cycle the engine dumps more fuel than normal to burn the soot down to ash. As the DPF eventually fills up with unburnable ash, it's capacity to hold soot is decreased, and thus regen cycles happen more frequently. Now regen cycle frequency is also dictated in part by driving style and usage pattern, so perhaps you use your car in a manner that doesn't frequently call for regen cycles, and thus no difference is noticed. Additionally the DPF itself represents an increase in exhaust back pressure, and it's pretty well accepted science that back pressure decreases turbo efficiency.

Now, in regards to temperature, you may not be adding anything to your fuel to keep it liquid at -39c, but someone is. Number 2 diesel would have the consistency of jello at that temp, and I have diesel fuel experience in my area to know that what is available here typically gels when the temps drop below 15f ambient.

Yeah, my big truck is getting ready to need a ash cleaning soon, I'm regenning more and burning a couple gallons per run more. I bet my company won't do a cleaning until the engine gets really pissed off though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ayem posted:

What kind of driving style lends itself to fewer regen cycles, and therefore longer life of the DPF? This is roughly what I understand to be how the DPF works as well, but in that case, what's a typical lifetime of the DPF and how does it get cleaned?

Idling loads these filters up, so stop and go traffic isn't what you want to do. Driving down the interstate allows a easy regen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

* Depending on your location.

If you live in Northern CA, you can register in Reno, and you'll not have a problem, as there is an agreement between CA and NV that people may go between the states for work. Hell, a neighbor of mine works in Folsom (prison guard), and has opted to keep his CA plates because then he only has to smog every TWO years, where NV makes you smog every year. He's lived here since 2009/2010. Its perfectly legal.

Yeah, but NV now has a "gently caress you" luxury tax which has changed the way they charge you for registration. This means a $34 registration is now at least $110, with, I believe, $85 as a "misc govt tax", along with the $34 registration for ANY vehicle. It's based on MSRP, and only drops a percentage per year, which means my 5 year old car is still costing me over $1/day for registration, just because it had a laughably high sticker price.

Must be nice being OPRAH RICH, but it didn't cost me $110 to rereg my older truck. It was a lot less to reg a 1 ton in NV than CA.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

You're registered outside of Washoe, though, aren't you? My '89 cost a whole $34 to register in 2001, and $118 in 2012. MSRP based fees with a slow depreciation rate is what is screwing me against the wall.

Nope, inside Wash-a-hoe

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah the starter doesn't spin the engine anywhere near that fast when cold. The engine is hot right now so I can't give a good video/audio of it. Tuesday night is supposed to get down to the upper 30s though so that will be a perfect time to get a recording.

The newer starters are so much nicer than the older ones. I swear to god the stock starter weighed 30 pounds.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

In starting videos, here's my truck after a bone-chilling mid 50's night :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EAzKO7PShw

and I had actually happened to record the previous start (when the engine was warm) to see if you could hear the starter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vFE1uJ7L-c

I let it idle for a bit as I watched the belt to check for anything funny going on there just because, and and on the trickle charger all night after that.

The 7.3 makes such a wonderful sound doesn't it?

Reminds me of my old 6.9 before the starter hung up, and wouldn't stop trying to start and melted the bussbar off the front. Good times.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I ended up getting the starter rebuilt at a local shop. The bearings were worn out and the brushes were down to nubs, but the actual armature and windings were in great shape apparently.

Sure looks a hell of a lot better.

The neighborhood cat helped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdB8qfUZVo

Muuuuch better.

You already had the new style starter. You should have seen the monster I pulled off the 6.9L.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who the gently caress did they let design this motor? Its like they took every lovely automotive failure and crammed it into this truck.

Funny you should say that, it was a Euro company that drew up the engine. I guess the 6.0 aren't bad in the heavier trucks because they don't run as high of a EGR temps which leads to most of the problems.

God bless the EPA. :allears:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

International built their diesels since the 6.9. The 6.0 sucked, ford sued international, international replaced it with the 6.4, which sucked just as bad, so ford started designing their engine in house.

Ford had an agreement with international that said only international could build diesel engines for ford, so when ford started designing their own, international sued them for it. The contract expired on december 31st, 2009, and january 1st, 2010 the 2011 super duty came out with the Ford build and designed 6.7 which seems to be an extremely reliable engine.

The gen II comes out next year, they haven't said what the power level is going to be, but they said they reinforced the bottom end, went to a 5 layer headgasket, and put a big fuckoff turbo onto it to increase the power levels.

I thought Navistar farmed out the 6.0/6.4 which lead to more dipshittery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Wait WHAT? 4,000 PSI oil pressure?

Oh wait, that has those weird oil actuated injectors doesn't it?

Naw, that's what PSI the oil is injected into the bore at so it runs off the crankcase and not the fueltank.

:v:

• Locked thread