Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

keykey posted:

My thoughts exactly. CA is the most vehicle unfriendly state to live in and they're really assholish about it to boot. Whereas other states have police sobriety checkpoints, we have those as well as smog inspection checkpoints. You can't make that poo poo up: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23219778/surprise-bay-area-drivers-have-cars-examined-at

Fortunately this vehicle just passed smog last may because it wasn't in perma-limp mode so I just erased all pending codes, took it and it passed. My job for the next year and a half is to drive the car into the ground until it dies or I part it out after buying another commute box.

It's an information gathering program. Voluntary and with no fines or punishment attached. Not sure what makes that so unfriendly or assholish. Actually having to get your car smogged sucks but if you really have a problem with it Nevada has much more liberal registration requirements.

There's even no state income tax so as long as you can plausibly claim your primary residence is in NV and you are in transit for work in CA no one will really bug you.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Large diesel injectors are pretty easy to rebuild if you can get parts or a kit. Replace tip, change o rings, set popping pressure, test, put in. I can't imagine small injectors are any harder. Only real important part is to get everything extremely clean and be a little bit of a perfectionist.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 12, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Common rail is the new thing and is much better. Should also start seeing spark plugs with PCC chambers, lighter blocks and lower combustion temps and pressures among other things.

Those pressures are usually seen in large diesels. At least with the common rail you don't have to worry about individual fuel pumps and fuel leaking into your cam lube oil. The electronic injection can really boost performance and you can start to do really nifty things with it.

Pray you don't encounter a high pressure fuel line let go, especially with the types of fuel you can run into in large diesels.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I still prefer VE injection systems for ease of maintenance and longevity.

Well it's all about economy and efficiency now. Engines designed with ease of maintenance in mind are rather rare as it is but I don't really have much experience working on small diesels so I can't really say much there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You can get him to drop the price but not get an oil change? If there is any damage it should show up in the oil so that might be one way to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

fknlo posted:

Motortrend test of the Q5 TDI

Go test drive one of these if you can. The powertrain is just flat out amazing. Really wish it was available in the platform I wanted here.

I had a Q5 3.0T loaner from Audi while my Q7 was getting it's 65k and it felt pretty good and I can only imagine how much better the TDI is. What got me was the engine shutting off at every stoplight, a little unnerving the first time if you aren't expecting it.

• Locked thread