Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

Wolfsbane posted:

I drive one of these:

I've had it since it was a year old, and put over 120,000 miles on it. Best car I've ever had.
It has the same engine as the Golf TDI (1.9l 130hp), but it's 10% shorter and 10% lighter. Lots of fun, until you realise (usually half way round a corner) that while the brakes and wheels are upgrades on the base model Fabia, the suspension really isn't.
Awwww yes, I had this too (in the fetching red shown). My wife loved mine so much, we got a second in Silver. Both did 120k, between the two cars the only things to go wrong were one brake switch and one turbo. Cheapest car I'll probably ever run, I think the PD130 was perfect for this car - the 150 has a few troubling faults and the lower ones just were not enough fun - great first car.

I drive a 170 CR TDI in a Seat Leon now which has been to the garage 11 times under warranty. Thanks Seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

BurgerQuest posted:

Does any one have/have experience with the VW Golf GTD? I've got a MkV GTI at the moment and love it, but I'm starting to get ready to upgrade to something a bit newer, have been thinking the GTD might be a nice move sideways into diesel.
My yellow Seat on the previous page is a golf GTD Chassis/Engine with a cheaper interior and harder suspension. Anything you want to know about it specifically? If you're considering it, the 140 version isn't a lot slower if you want to cut costs a little, I can get 48-50mpg (UK) out of it cruising at 80. Been a workhorse for me, the engine doesn't appear to have any really serious problems (which I thank my lucky stars for considering the injector recall for the PD170 series). Clutch is uprated for the CR 170 (Saches unit by default) if you plan to go mod wild. People usually replace them when they go above 210 in Seat land.

quote:

The turbo went on mine too, but luckily it was still under warranty. It's got a few electrical problems now and the doors are starting to seize up, but the engine has been indestructible.

My wife wants one of the blue special editions, but I don't think they're ever going to come down in price. Personally I'd rather have the TDI Yeti.
Just checking you're aware, the electrical problems aren't in the rear of the car are they? Your loom (under the left rear seat carpet) can get corroded if the door seal leak they all suffer from isn't fixed.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
I know as a general rule Americans prefer oil changes but changes every 5k? Isn't that half the interval? That poo poo gets black inside 2 minutes in a PD anyway :)

• Locked thread