Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This thread is making me think I should have spent the $200 on the diesel Golf. Oh well.
So is there a such thing as a diesel Fiat engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. Yes there is. But if you live in the US like me you'll never see one anytime soon except in Jeeps

Nope. live in Australia. I'm just contemplating a horrible bastard child and was curious if the motor is available.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, then chances are you got it. The Jeep Grand Cherokees have a Fiat diesel engine, do they sell the Fiat 500 there?

The new one? No idea. Haven't seen one but then 90% of people here either drive a 4x4 or a ute.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Still heavier than a beetle.

Those little industrial diesels almost allow me to indulge a dirty little fantasy of mine. A diesel motorcycle.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

pazrs posted:

Have you seen 'Is that thing diesel'? Paul Carter rides around Australia on a biodiesel fuelled Yanmar powered bike. It's worth a watch.

No. Never heard of it until now. Seems like I have something to watch. Thanks for enlightening me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

The combination of a turbo, 2 stroke diesels, and a hit of gear mashing sounds just about right.

Goddamn that brings back memories of being a kid sitting in the cab of a loving huge old Dodge flatbed powered by one of these, travelling all over the place with a full load of bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

VW seem to have some sort of fetish for this, I know there's a Passat I've seen where the 'service position' is the entire front clip slid forwards a few inches on a couple of rods, and even my Polo had something in the Haynes manual that was easier with the front end gone.

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache,

They have to pay the price for having cars which for decades only took a few minutes for most people to pull the engines.

• Locked thread