Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thank you!

Bottom Liner posted:

I did some panoramas for the really wide shots.

Was wondering if that was the case.

quote:

Hard lesson I've had to face lately is that high end glass really makes a big difference in non-optimal conditions. The color and contrast you get out of these lenses is really worth the weight and size difference.

I used to rent nicer lenses on occasion, and yeah, it definitely makes a difference. There's no-where near me that rents equipment now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gc (1 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

gc (3 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

gc (2 of 3) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (4 of 4) by david childers, on Flickr

Looks like some of those flickr links broke and those showing weren't panos. These are all panos and some of my favorite views on the trail. I almost always do them with the camera vertical and aim for about a 6x17 or 2.4:1 coverage (or 4x5 with the tree shot)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

6x17 is the one true aspect. Who needs skies or foregrounds, we want those mountains.

Though I usually crop to 1:3 for nice round numbers.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

That’s a giant power bank, not a radio

Wtf

Nevermind that poo poo. Is that an actual sword in the bottom-center of his gear pic?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nevermind that poo poo. Is that an actual sword in the bottom-center of his gear pic?

Looks like a machete, which is excessive but much less ridiculous than the giant HF-radio-sized power bank lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

Looks like a machete, which is excessive but much less ridiculous than the giant HF-radio-sized power bank lol

A ~300wh battery and a 110w solar panel to keep his watch, phone, and smaller power bank charged.

There is absolutely nothing in that pile of crap that could justify that much power, he could run a 25L fridge 24 hours a day off that much juice.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Every few years I go back and read that one goon's manic attempt at a hike across the US. This guy at least knows that you have to use a backpack. The radio is truly insane though.

One of my favorite SA moments. Dude didn't even make it out of Golden Gate Park

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Link?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

didn't his proposed "route" involve hiking along like 400 miles of interstate through west texas?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yes, and luckily he never made it anywhere dangerous. He basically walked from one parking lot to another before collapsing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

didn't he have a stroller or a little red wagon or something?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3714480

e: hmm wait that's not quite it

i don't have time to look further right now, but that's on the right path

e2: oh yes it is, he stops responding after a few pages, his hike starts on page 24

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 13, 2024

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man. I still think about that poo poo from time to time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

6.5 miles in sloppy 40 degree snow is fuckin murder. I think from now on I hang up the snowshoes April 1.

ombredog
Apr 4, 2024

for every post i make i order myself to do three squats and take an effervescent multivitamin on top of my tallest hill in my town. it helps my reception

Went over to the Peninsula in the Victoria down under and walked half of it (very thin) over a couple of hours for a casual hike with the doggy the other day.

The country has gotten through a lot of its hot and wetter seasons now, and we are getting into the colder days as they slowly get drier. I'm excited since this usually means it is peak backpacking season to punch out some really big treks

Might finally get sloppy and do another aussie overnight hike with a few raves in the middle like I did last year with a bunch of mates, it was really fun although half my Lanshan gear broke lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3714480

e: hmm wait that's not quite it

i don't have time to look further right now, but that's on the right path

e2: oh yes it is, he stops responding after a few pages, his hike starts on page 24

Oh my god this is amazing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

6.5 miles in sloppy 40 degree snow is fuckin murder. I think from now on I hang up the snowshoes April 1.

I hiked about 18-20 miles in England in muddy slop, and my pace was slower there on generally flat land and gentle ravines and almost zero altitude than it is when I hike with a pack in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey everybody, been a while since I posted in here. In February I did a section / shakedown hike on the AT. Only had time to do a 2 nights on the AT, wanted to do more but weather was bad along I-70 so was delayed.

Was able to hike about 22 miles of the trail. And now on the 26th, I will be setting off to see how far I can make it on an actual thru hike attempt. At the very least I plan on pushing / forcing myself to get through the Smoky Mountains! Not sure if I'll start a thread here or not on the journey, but considering it!

Anyway, here's a photo of Long Creek Falls I took in February.