Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

lol we’re starting from almost the same spot too. I was planning on doing a southerly trek through Ely before ending up in Tahoe. Your route back past the southern Uintas through Vernal does look like more fun than dealing with I-70 or I-80 though. Plus it goes right past dinosaur National monument. Gotta put my lifetime parks pass to good use

I've driven US-40 through Utah once and it is in fact a lovely drive. If you do go that way, look up Fantasy Canyon as a day stop. You're not SUPPOSED to boondock there, but no one's gonna punt you. :v:

(the mosquitoes can be horrid though, there's a lot of stagnant water in the area)

And yes Dinosaur Monument is why I'm going there this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’ve done Ft Duchesne to Heber City a couple times but it was very dark both times and I didn’t get to see much. But anything is better than that god forsaken stretch of I-80 through Wyoming. Are you doing that just for a look at the Wind River range?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not this time.. I have a little BLM campsite I like up north of Rock Springs. That whole valley around the boar's tusk is some nice scenery, if one likes sagebrush and buttes. Plus white sand dunes!

The I-80 segment sucks but sometimes you gotta suffer to get some fun.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

WoodrowSkillson posted:

going to be in the Seattle area last week of May this year, and last time i was in Olympic i was not able to get to the Hoh. Figure I will take 1-2 nights and go check it out. Any recommendations on campsites?

Like the Hoh river? There's campsites at the trailhead, no idea how crowded they'll be. Last time I was in the area I went up the Upper Dungeness River to that trailhead. Seems a lot less crowded there but I guess it's not a straight shot to the glaciers either

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hotel Kpro posted:

Like the Hoh river? There's campsites at the trailhead, no idea how crowded they'll be. Last time I was in the area I went up the Upper Dungeness River to that trailhead. Seems a lot less crowded there but I guess it's not a straight shot to the glaciers either

yeah, and i meant the ones further up the trail. good location, nice views, X campsite's shitter sucks, etc. I will be there on like May 29th so I am not planning on doing much elevation or dealing with snow, just a quick in and out for a night or 2 before meeting friends in seattle for non-backpacking stuff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just did the hoh River trail to blue glacier last year. The sites along the river ... (~5? Miles in?) Are pretty great just from the view alone. You're right on the river.

5 mile Island and happy 4 are the closest camp sites. You can push further if desired for more remote sites that are likely less busy but honestly I'm not sure what's available or open. I know that park gets hammered by weather in the winter and it's a colossal effort to keep trails in usable shape. This is one of if not their most popular trail and it's low elevation so it would probably be open all year long. Def try to make a reservation.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Verman posted:

I just did the hoh River trail to blue glacier last year. The sites along the river ... (~5? Miles in?) Are pretty great just from the view alone. You're right on the river.

5 mile Island and happy 4 are the closest camp sites. You can push further if desired for more remote sites that are likely less busy but honestly I'm not sure what's available or open. I know that park gets hammered by weather in the winter and it's a colossal effort to keep trails in usable shape. This is one of if not their most popular trail and it's low elevation so it would probably be open all year long. Def try to make a reservation.

Oh I will as soon as they open. I did the 7 lakes loop a few years ago and loved it, so I'm familiar with Olympic in general. This is the kind of info that it always helpful!

The Hoh Lake campsite is still on of my all time favorites.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RIP to my dog Addie. We easily hiked over 10,000 miles together in the 10 years I had her, and had countless camping trips together.

Trips wont feel the same without her....

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
gently caress, so sorry for your loss. They're a huge part of our lives and we're all of theirs. You gave your dog a great life full of adventure, that's all they could ever want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sorry for your loss. We just lost our 18 year old girl as well. She was the best hiking partner you could ever want. The photos definitely help keep the good memories alive.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Good dogs, my deepest condolences. Losing adventure pup pals is brutally hard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those dogs look like they are up for anything.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Please don't hike in extreme weather conditions. Mt. Baldy claims another life.

Or at least know what you're getting yourself into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was a nasty enough storm that a group of three who knew what they were doing (had shelters and equipment with them) also needed rescue.

Don't gently caress with mountains in the winter, kids. If winds/snow are covering your trail it's crazy easy to get lost.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got to take a quick day hike and try out my hammock chair and my "dinner bivy" which is supposed to help keep your boil in bag meals warmer and cooking faster. Worked pretty well! Though it sucked to not have my dog snoozing on my ground sheet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can anyone recommend socks to wear that during extended time outside in freezing temperatures that have some shelf life?

I had liked Carhartt socks, but they seem to wear out so quickly. I have some great heavy duty Fox River socks, but I was just hoping I could find something equally warm that didn't run $20 a pair.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Darn Tough have some for winter sports. That would be my rec. They're pricey, but they're insanely comfortable and warm, and if you somehow manage to wear them out, they'll replace them for free. It took me about 6 years to wear out a pair of their lightest weight running socks, so I imagine the thicker weight winter ones would last near forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Darn Tough's replacement policy is a huge plus, I likewise have worn out a bunch of them after years, but that's the shorter ones I wear every day. The longer ones I only use for hiking are still in pristine condition.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Red posted:

Can anyone recommend socks to wear that during extended time outside in freezing temperatures that have some shelf life?

I had liked Carhartt socks, but they seem to wear out so quickly. I have some great heavy duty Fox River socks, but I was just hoping I could find something equally warm that didn't run $20 a pair.

Darn Tough makes some full cushion heavyweight socks that get really close to the heavy carhartts in my experience, with all the upsides of wool and the lifetime guarantee, but they're $33 a pair.
https://darntough.com/collections/weight-heavyweight/products/unisex-merino-wool-t4050-tactical-otc-heavyweight-tactical-socks

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

For home and personal hiking I've finally gotten some Darn Toughs that I like. Also Marmots.

But I work outside which involves either flips between lots of movement (sweat) and standing still. And I have poo poo circulation in my feet so my feet are always cold when I'm standing around.
Settled on 2 types of work socks: these Cabelas wool blends are my colder weather preference. And these from Costco, which I wear in the summer as well.

Both are cheap enough that I don't get bent out of shape when I need to throw them in a bin. Also the Costco ones you can get them all in black, so I have 2 weeks of the same field socks that never need matched by type/color. Just one big pile of black socks. Goon representing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Red posted:

Are you going to be sitting around in these cold weather socks or moving around hiking? That will make a big difference in what type you ought to go for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I was gifted 2 pairs of Darn Tough at Christmas and immediately lost them while traveling back home. I'm still pissed about that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Darn Toughs are my favorite. I have a variety of styles now for summer hiking, winter stuff, and ski socks. I prefer them over smartwool because they don't seem to unravel/fray as much.

Just pay attention because darn tough also make synthetics so check to make sure you're buying merino.

I also use the costco merino wool socks as well. They are a bit more "fluffy" but they work well and last long enough for a cheap wool sock. Their most recent ones fray a bit less than before so thats nice. I also have some cabelas brand wool blend socks that are great also.

Darn Tough is my first choice though. I will always suggest them due to their performance and replacement.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I just buy Darn Toughs now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Darn Toughs are amazing. The warranty is no joke, no questions asked and no funny business, just mail them in and get replacements. Even if there's just a thin spot that's going to become a hole soon.

I think I'm at maximum darn tough saturation, and just in an everlasting period of occasional replacement... they're not likely to make any more money off of me unless i lose any, but hopefully they've gotten some business from me singing their praises

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 13, 2024

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

+1 on the Darn Toughs, now I have a pair for every day of the week.

If you're diligent you can get 'em on sale for less than $20 or even sub-$10 on sales

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had a couple pairs of smart wool that developed within a year and have been using Costco ever since. Those ones last at least a couple seasons and are only like $4/pair.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

smartwool sucks

i have a few things from before they were bought by a private equity firm in 2011. they're great, no holes, etc. got some socks as a gift like ten years ago, they didn't make it a year

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone really make cheap warm socks? Anything worth buying is at least $20 a pair. Only other places I’d be shopping for socks are Duluth Trading and Wigwam

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can pay $25 for a pair of darn tough that last as long as you want to cash in on the warranty or you can pay $10 a year for a cheap pair of socks that sag or wear out in a year with no warranty at all.

I don't really do the brand loyalty thing but there isn't actually a better deal out there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Best cheap wool socks, Costco. $4/pair.

Best quality wool socks, darn tough. $15-30/pair.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Verman posted:

Best cheap wool socks, Costco. $4/pair.

Best quality wool socks, darn tough. $15-30/pair.
The Costco wool socks don't have that much wool, unfortunately. I own hiking/outdoor socks from both Omniwool and Weatherproof. :(

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

People have been recommending socks, but in my opinion you'll get better performance out of changing the insoles in your shoes. If your shoes/boots have the room try swapping out the insoles that came with them for some thick wool ones like these - https://thefeltstore.com/collections/insoles

And if you really have the room, opt for something like these - https://www.bensbackwoods.com/thermal-mesh-insoles-size-12-airsoles/ under your felt insoles. With the mesh layer you can pop them out at the end of the day and shake off any perspiration that may have accumulated.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Not a Children posted:

+1 on the Darn Toughs, now I have a pair for every day of the week.

If you're diligent you can get 'em on sale for less than $20 or even sub-$10 on sales

Do watch out if you buy from Amazon though, apparently a lot of fakes about

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Spuckuk posted:

Do watch out if you buy from Amazon though, apparently a lot of fakes about

Yeah, and while everyone's money varies, $19 from amazon isn't THAT much more appealing than $24 from the source, especially since it's not like I need 20 pairs of Darn Tough hiking socks. And you can get 10% off from the source if you sign up for some proprietary purchase processing service, but :effort: and distrust etc

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Steepandcheap has had pairs of darn tough for under 10 dollars. Odd sizes and limited patterns but they’re legit.

Socksaddict also regularly has 20%-25% off sales.

I wouldn’t recommend buying them off Amazon ever, just too much chance of a counterfeit

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just keep in mind they also make synthetics so you need to check that they're the wool socks if that's what you want (wool is what you want).

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Darn Toughs are great.

I also really like the "classic" Smart Wool socks though, they are more comfortable for just wearing casually I find, not as tight knit, great socks for wearing with Birkenstocks.

https://smartwool.ca/en/mens-hike-classic-edition-light-cushion-crew-socks-sw012900.html

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

Darn Toughs are great.

I also really like the "classic" Smart Wool socks though, they are more comfortable for just wearing casually I find, not as tight knit, great socks for wearing with Birkenstocks.

https://smartwool.ca/en/mens-hike-classic-edition-light-cushion-crew-socks-sw012900.html

My fav birk socks, aesthetically speaking, are olive colored darn tough hikers. Looks nice with the leather. But if i ever buy any more socks they will probably be loud and ridiculous so i can really lean into the "yes i am rocking birkensocks" aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Darn Toughs are great.

I have like four pairs of these that will. not. die. Just amazing socks. Go great with Crocs too.