Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Shrinking Universe posted:

Any questions about Australia, ask away!

Hi there!

First time poster and Backpacking-Rookie from Germany checking in. I recently fell in love with the "Great Ocean Walk" because it seems rather easy to do and offers a lot of sights i just won't find anywhere near me. But when i make that long flight to Australia, i sure as hell want to do more than one trip. Any suggestions for more tours without having to travel across the continent would be really appreciated as any tips in general.

To contribute something on my own:

Had a great 2 weeks last year just strolling around on Lofoten (Norway) and definitely want to go there, or someplace similiar in Scandinavia, again. Recommendations welcome!

and this was taken on a 3-day-tour from cabin to cabin around Schesaplana (Austria/Switzerland)

As stated, i am not that knowledgeable (yet), but could maybe provide some basic information about touring the Alps i guess.

/e: typo1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Thank you!
Sounds like a great warm-up-tour to me and a great chance to repack before trying something more challenging.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Welcome to Germany, Red!

I'd definitely recommend spending some days in Berchtesgadener Land. Biggest attraction is the "Watzmann", Germany's second highest mountain. You can reach it's first (and lowest at ~2650m) peak, the "Hocheck" in a hike of about 9 hours up and down.
If you are a little experienced in climbing, absolutely not afraid of heights and surefooted you can cross the ridge towards the other two slightly higher peaks. This trip however is impossible to do in a single hike. I did it with some friends this year in three days, staying over night at the Watzmannhaus and some other place on the other side of the mountain which's name i'd have to look up. And it is highly recommended that you use some climbing gear and a helmet.
If you can imagine sharing a bed with up to 20 other sweaty snoring mountain-goers, say so and i will try my best to elaborate and report from some other hikes that you might like. If you are more into dayhikes or want to know anything else, please just ask.

General hints:
If any of your plans take you near the austrian or swiss border and you go by car, make sure you have a vignette or stay on sideroads. If they catch you on their Autobahn (highway) without one, you're fined something about 120 Euros. Also, Switzerland uses their Fränklis and not Euros as currency. Be sure to have some in your pocket the farther away from civilization you get to avoid nasty exchange-rates.

Early in the morning on our way to Hocheck.

Some places on the Watzmanngrat are secured with steel rope. But not everywhere you would need them.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Camerachat:

I own the Canon D10 and used it on every trip for the last 2 years. In this time it survived flawlessly rain, snow, bumping and scratching at mountainsides, being dropped on the ground and in deep snow. One charge lasts for about a week (easily over 200 pictures taken).
My only real nitpick would be the abstinence of a lens cover, so i sometimes needed to wipe it clean/dry with some cloth before taking pictures in moist or foggy weather when i kept the camera strapped to my wrist all the time. It's a bit clunky but i like my toys not feeling like actual toys :hehe:.

Since its successor D20 having just come out you may probably get this one for cheap.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

i rarely sleep on the first night on a trip, just because of excitement overflow that keeps my thoughts running. After that it's sleeping like always, meaning, i awake at the slightest unusual sound.
I gud protector of cave!

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Can anybody comment on the shoe brand Hanwag for backpacking boots?

Hanwag is a german firm that's been in business and innovating in mountain-/trekking-/skiing-/... shoes for a long time. They generally produce high quality (their HP tells me they still do some of the manufacturing steps by hand) and are very popular here, together with Meindl and Lowa. If you can try them on and they fit, 90$ should be a steal.
Oh, and most of their shoes can be resoled if your favorite pair got too many miles down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Joe Videogames posted:

I'm way out in the Rhineland :(

Hi there! :tipshat:

If you are around the Rhineland and want to do some spontaneous hiking without driving all too far southwards, maybe you could have a look at the famous "Rheinsteig" (http://www.rheinsteig.de/en/). Some tracks of the "Saar-Hunsrück-Steig" (http://www.saar-hunsrueck-steig.de/en/) may not be too far away either.

Lastly, i'd like to shamelessly plug my home-region of south-western Rheinland-Pfalz: http://www.suedwestpfalz-touristik.de/touristik/de/Wandern/

Let me know if you need a translation.

To add my experience about hiking in trailrunners: I did this when a couple of more experienced friends took me on my first ever multi-day-hike in the alps. First two days went really smooth. On the third day, i had to pass on making a summit because i had no grip at all on steep snowfields and me inching over was both irresponsible and slowing the whole group down too much. Also running shoes are no fun to wear when you're going down larger fields of rubble and most likely ruined afterwards. In summary: If i go somewhere where i expect a reasonable amount of snow or rubble to traverse, i'll definetely put on my hiking boots.