Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

EPICAC posted:

I drove up to New Hampshire ...

I drove over to New Hampshire yesterday and hiked up Owl's Head. The total trip was 17 miles with a bushwack that saved us some distance and a couple tough stream crossings. Given the weather I wasn't expecting to meet anyone else but we came across another group just before the summit. We took the slide up and they did a bushwack straight up through the dense spruce. I'm not sure which of us made the worse choice. We joined up with them for the rest of the hike which was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

EPICAC posted:

Are you working on the New Hampshire 4000 footers? Everyone my wife and I saw and talked to when we hiked Owl's Head last June were working on the list (ourselves included). I thought it was a fun hike, even if it's long and the only real views are from the slide.

Did you do the bushwhack from the Black Pond Trail? We took that route when we did it. Apparently there's a herd path that you can follow for much of the route. We lost it, and ended up trending too far west. Our descent back down to the trail was a miserable slog through thick spruce. We opted for the stream crossings on the way back.

I've read about another bushwhack that bypasses the slide that's commonly used in the winter, I wonder if that's what the other group took. Apparently both whacks are commonly used enough and easy to follow in the winter once they get packed down by snowshoes.

My friend and I are working on the 4000 footers. The group we ran into had one guy who wanted Owl's Head for his fall list and another who is working on the 4000 footers.

We did do the bushwack from Black Pond. We were able to follow the trail for maybe a few thousand feet before it started turning too far east. At that point we just went straight at 340 magnetic. The woods were really open until the last hundred feet where the ground dropped off into a spruce thicket.

The other group told us about the herd path which is more towards the south side of the mountain and is very easy to follow once winter fully hits. They missed it this time around.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

EPICAC posted:

Mount Hight and Carter Dome

Awesome pictures. I went up Mt. Pierce on Sunday with an AMC group. So weird to be be hiking up a mountain in January and have a warm breeze coming down the slope towards you. We didn't find out till later but a group of Tufts students got lost coming down Pierce the previous day and had to get rescued (http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130112/NEWS07/130119741c).

Eisenhower and Washington

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

I've never done a day trip over ten-odd miles before--is that vastly different from thirty miles in a day? If so, what should I do to prepare in the five months prior? Tthe local outdoors shop is planning to traverse about that distance on the AT in a day for charity, and I'd love to participate, but I wouldn't even know where to start :shobon:

Practice makes possible. Do all the hiking. If the trip is going to have any elevation gain make sure you get used to it before hand. Get familiar with your gear so you can be comfortable whatever the weather conditions turn out to be and so that you're not miserable carrying a pack full of junk you wont need.

Also, lift a weight.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

PabloBOOM posted:

I've been meaning to ask a question to see if anyone around here knows the answer. Why in the world is there seemingly ancient barbed wire fences along the boundaries of federal lands like wilderness areas, national rec areas, etc. Though I can't seem to recall finding any along the outskirts of actual national parks now that I think on it. I'm presuming it's an attempt to keep the wilderness "wild" and keep livestock/dogs/random critters from mingling? Just my guess though, and I wandered if anyone here knew the actual answer.

Along the boundary of federal lands and private lands? Likely old fences set up to keep cattle off the federal land. Where I grew up in Maine the the woods were riddled with old barbed wire fences. As people moved away from working the land they just left their fences up and let the woods grow up.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

BleakLewis posted:

Looks like REI has calculated dividends! Haven't seen the usual %20 off coupon yet.

Has anyone had any experience using microspikes? Are they small enough to use that you can wear them along with snowshoes? How are they over rocks? I've been using yak traks but there not very durable and seem to clog up almost in powdery snow.

Any decent pair of spikes will not work with snowshoes. I've worn mine over bare rocks once because the weather conditions were bad and we were not going to stop. Rocks will beat your spikes up so check their condition when you're done. Traction on larger rocks and boulders is worse than bare boots but smaller stones you wont have problems with.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

MMD3 posted:

Garmin Mapsource + whichever open-source topo's you prefer?

Mapsource has been superseded by Basecamp. I have never used Mapsource so can't give a fair comparison but supposedly Basecamp has a number of additional features not available in Mapsource. Additionally if you have a Garmin handheld Basecamp integrates really well. The only complaint I have about Basecamp is that you can only show one map at a time on the computer. Switching between the trail map and the topo is tiresome. My handheld will happily display everything at once. I got topo and trail maps for the north east US from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/.

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

MMD3 posted:

While we're on the GPS topic, I just started playing around with Basecamp (was using MapSource up until now) are there any ways to visualize your track data in-app? I'd like to be able to see elevation graphs and speed heatmaps or whatever they call them but I can't figure out a way to do it in the app itself, I would think it should be able to do exactly that. Also what's the deal with the birdseye maps, you have to have a Garmin subscription or something to use those? Is it worth it? why can't I just pull satellite map imagery from Google or Bing or something?

Double clicking the track or right click->open brings up the detail window that has the elevation and speed graphs.

I believe you do need a subscription for Birdseye. You may be able to make your own satellite photo maps, but I haven't looked into it.

I have a GPSmap 62s and the lock time can take a bit after travelling a long distance since last powering the device on but once on I've never had any issues. The 450 says it has a high sensitivity receiver but I don't believe it is the same quality as most of their "on the trail" products which are better suited for environments with a lot of interference and sky cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miron
Dec 2, 2006

alnilam posted:

Has anyone ever backpacked Acadia national park? Is it good backpackin'? Crowded? Any recommendations for a 2-4 day hike?

I just got back from Acadia this afternoon! The park is so small backcountry camping isn't allowed: http://www.nps.gov/acad/faqs.htm#CP_JUMP_83266. If you don't mind basing out of one of the campgrounds you can get in some excellent day hikes. The alpine zone starts as low as 900' or 1000' in some locations so there are a lot of great views across to other peaks, down into the ponds, or out to the ocean. The trails are also pretty demanding and steep. There are a number of the eastern side of the park that require rungs or ladders to get past the steepest sections.

It's not peak season and I was out in the middle of the week but the trails were not crowded at all. Thursday morning I spent nearly the first six miles of the trip pulling spider webs off my face. There is a road to the top of Cadillac so that was totally mobbed and any of the flat trails, especially around Jordan Pond, had quite a few tourists out for a walk.