Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's $25 a night for a regular site. The remote sites are $23, and the first couple are a pretty short walk in. The campground is actually reasonably nice. Most of the sites aren't right on top of one another, and the bathroom building is high-end as far as campgrounds go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Time Cowboy posted:

Wow. I will never get used to the thought of $25 for a tent site. My mind's still in the mid-'90s when you could crash at Motel 6 just about anywhere for $25. I probably won't find any cheaper options aside from actually sleeping in the car somewhere, so I might as well factor that into my planning.

Thanks for all the info!

Yeah, we're on the high side as far as state park systems go. That said I just did a quick check on private campgrounds in the area and they're like $30-35. You might be able to do better with some digging, and it's probably worth checking places in VT and MA as well.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

jamal posted:

Really should have worn those yaktrax things tonight or put some screws in the bottom of my boots. Trails were slippery and I fell down pretty hard, like hard enough for my friends to be concerned instead of just laughing at me. And not while actually hiking, but when were were standing around at a junction to regroup and take pictures and stuff. Think I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Once you have them be sure to wear them, too. I learned the hard way that if you need to ask yourself whether the minute it will take to put traction on is worth it, you should put them on. I slipped back in May on some hardpack because I didn't think it was worth putting my microspikes on, and my rotator cuff is just getting back to normal now.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Walt is always welcome. :neckbeard:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Yeah, my sister was in the backcountry working on a study and one of the crew stumbled on a pot farm. He was lucky to escape as the guard he encountered had an AK.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Shrinking Universe posted:

I posted a couple of pages back about this, but I effectively walked through a stream for 4 days (it was a trail, but constant rain turned it into a stream) back in January.

That said, this seems completely impractical for what you are trying to achieve.

My formula was;

- Good quality Icebreaker socks
- Leather boots, sno-sealed
- Waterproof pants (optional, kept the tops of my legs above gaiters dry)
- Gaiters, tight fitting around the top of the boot. I think these were key. Stopped water getting over the top of the boot. I would have still worn these even if the rain stopped because of the mud and deep puddles. Also I might have a fighting chance against snakebites.

Gaiters are one of my favorite things in the world. Not only do they keep snow and mud out of your boots, they also give your $200 softshell pants a fighting chance against your crampons.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I've lived outside of NH for about 2 of my 31 years, and when I do, old stone walls and cellar holes are some of the things I miss most.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Guns are fun and all, and you're within you legal rights to OC one, but do be aware that the reactions of people you meet on the trail may be similar to the people in the thread. There's a very good chance you'll be "that guy" to other hikers; and interactions may be awkward, passive aggressive, or even verbally hostile depending on who you run into.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Weekdays are generally fine; it's weekends that the massholes flood in.

Did you ever hit Monadnock, Time Cowboy?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Time Cowboy posted:

Yes, but I made a fiasco out of it. I was 2/3 of the way to the summit when I realized my wallet was missing. So I had to drag my fat rear end all the way down the White Dot looking for it -- and that trail is way more fun going up than going down. Eventually I did find my wallet, which had been in the car the whole frigging time, but I was too exhausted to do anything but drive all the way home. I was incredibly sore for three days after that.

I need to get back to the gym.

Ah, that does indeed suck. It doesn't help that the dot is probably the lamest trail on the mountain.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Picnic Princess posted:

My husbands been experimenting with beer can stoves.

:catstare:That is my cat. Give me back my cat.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I've lured him back with mine.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Here's a cool hiking related story about a super awesome guy I worked with until I moved to Alberta: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-11-25/hiking-once-saved-cambodian-refugees-life-and-now-its-his-therapy

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

turevidar posted:

I'm moving to southern New Hampshire in January. I know about the White Mountains to the north, but what is else is good in Massachusetts, Vermont, and western Maine?

Can anybody recommend specific destinations in the Whites for 2-3 day trips?

Southwestern NH has a lot of small mountains that make for good day hikes, and the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway is a 50 mile trail with shelters if you're looking for a multi-day close to home(though naturally not as dramatic as the Whites). I was a ranger at Monadnock which can be a nice day-hike if you stay off the main trails, or go off-season; it's good fun in the winter if you've got traction. I'd be happy to answer any Monadnock specific questions you might have.

I wish I could give you more advice regarding the Whites, but I'm a lazy bum and couldn't be arsed to make the drive up more than once or twice a year.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Sometimes I'll hear a song and think for a moment "this for be perfect for when I'm hiking".

Then I remember that if I listen to music I can't listen to the mountain, and I quickly disregard the silly notion of hiking music.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

It's me. I'm the guy in Banff for two days for a wedding with no time to hike.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2015

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

African AIDS cum posted:

I think the permit system is an unnecessary, byzantine system that keeps many from enjoying the beautiful nature that God endowed us with.

A lot of people over the years have felt that not being allowed to cut pine boughs for bedding, have fires wherever they pleased, or camp in sensitive areas kept them from enjoying the beautiful nature that God endowed us with, too.

After more than a decade working at heavily overused parks without quota systems I can assure you that inventing loopholes to bypass usage limits is not cute or clever, and any enjoyment you may derive from doing so comes at the expense of others.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

People may or may not be good, but either way the vast majority don't practice LNT.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

gently caress you, got my hiking.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

mastershakeman posted:

Limiting the number of people. It should be done by who's willing to pay the most, not random chance in a lottery. Extra funding would help the whole nps too.

The issue there is that it would mean the more in demand a place is, the wealthier a person would have to be to access it. The system is intended to limit use while still allowing equal access.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

turevidar posted:

I was up there two or three weeks ago, and parking was packed even with the sparse winter population. There were only 2-3 people on the summit at a time. I am going to stay far away in the summer.

Summer isn't too bad on weekdays (provided you miss any groups). Foliage season weekends are the time to stay away at all costs.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

erobadapazzi posted:

Since there seems to be a decent LA-area population on this thread, I figure I can throw a question at you. My husband and I have been talking a lot about wishing we had an app that we could point at mountains to figure out their names (like when we're somewhere up on the Crest, mostly). I seriously doubt that exists. However, there must be some sort of visual of the different peaks of the San Gabriels, right? Any suggestions of a book or website or something with labelled pictures?

There are a few apps that do exactly this. Personally I've had the best luck with PeakFinder, but I'm sure others can weigh in on their favorites.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Going back to boots and lacing, I haven't had a single blister since I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Sierra Nevadan posted:

beavers have scared the poo poo out of me more than any other animal.

You should be afraid, this was put up in one of the dog parks I work at after a beaver merc'd a dog.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Can't help you with that but I don't understand places that don't allow you to take your dogs hiking with you. I like to take my dogs with me and there are a few state parks around here that don't allow dogs at all (not even on leash) and I don't get it. Yeah there are people who get their buttholes all puckered about dog poop but why is poo poo from a domesticated dog that's picked up within a minute of it hitting the ground so much worse than all the wild animal poo poo everywhere?

I was a ranger at Mount Monadnock until I moved to Canada. It's possibly the most hiked mountain in the hemisphere, so it's been a big issue there. A dog ban went into effect there in '86 for a number of reasons:

First up is poop. The old timers tell me that before the ban, you couldn't find a safe spot to sit on the summit. There would be an occasional cleanup that would result in having to carry down trash bags full of dog poo poo. To be fair, that aspect was compounded by volume, but there's enough wild animal poo poo that we don't need to add to it.

Next up is problem dogs/problem owners. Poorly trained or controlled dogs would harass hikers, steal lunches, chase wildlife, etc. Barking and fighting dogs are a sure way to disrupt someone's quiet hike.

Dogs also present safety risks to their owners and themselves. More than one hiker was injured by a lunging dog on a leash pulling their owner off balance. The rocks on the mountain are rough enough to sometimes tear up foot pads, and broken legs and heat stroke weren't unheard of. Dogs sometimes died up the mountain, and even if they were only injured, dog rescues tied up resources that might have been needed if a human rescue came up.

Environmental impact was another factor. For starters, dogs pooped, peed, and rolled in sensitive alpine bogs, some of which are only finally recovering. Some would chase or even kill small animals. The presence of dogs, or even their lingering scent can lead animals to change their behavior, more so than just human scent, because they're predators. In the years since the ban, it has become much more common to see wildlife on hikes there.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Also look into nonstandard boot lacings. Most people never consider doing it differently than the usual, but it can allow you to really customize your fit. Things like loosening up the lower section if you have high arches, while also locking your heel tightly back in the heel pocket to prevent blisters, and still leaving the ankle a bit loose for circulation.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube, this one changed my life: https://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also carry a super lightweight compass just in case anyway.

Sure. You haven't needed it any other time - but when you need it, you need it, and it's not a significant weight/space addition to carry a super simple small one.

Will it be 100% accurate? No. Will it tell you which way north-ish is on a cloudy day? Yeah.

This is my thinking. You don't need a 1lb metal lensatic compass; a half-ounce clip-on compass/thermometer combo will at least get your map pointed in the right general direction when your GPS batteries die.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 28, 2016

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I'm the posts fabricobbled out of plumbing fittings.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

cheese posted:

Just more confirmation that the best time to be in the mountain is September/October.

Unless you're in New England. Fall is the busy season there.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Not just limited to RMNP - the top of Bierstadt already had over 100 people on the summit at 9:30 am:

That looks as bad as Monadnock. I'd be curious to know how many it gets annually, might give the 'nad a run for its money.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

bongwizzard posted:

Playing a guitar is like masterbating. Never do it in front of someone unless you are sure they want you too.

I'm stealing the poo poo out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Rime posted:

Here's how you trim joists when you're a badass have a death wish: