Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Does anybody have any advice for estimating how long a thru-hike will take? I'm planning on thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail once spring rolls around, but I'm not sure how I should be calculating the amount of time I should be taking to do it. Also, do you guys have any recommendations for good foods/drink additives to take with so that I'll be actually getting a balanced diet while I'm out on the trail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Anybody willing to give some advice for getting snowshoes? It looks like it'll still be a while before the snow clears up here, but it's late enough in the season where stuff is going up for sale so I figure I might as well get them cheap while I have the chance.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
I would be very interested! I'm already in northern MN, so shoot me a PM if you can or else email me at erosvall@gmail.com

For that matter, actually, could you add me to the Hike with a Goon list, i_heart_ponies? Northern Minnesota, and I've got a bit of extra gear that I can lend out if need be.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
After seeing some posts praising it and doing some research into it, I've decided that as a 21st birthday present to myself I would like to do a trip in Zion National Park, specifically doing the Trans-Zion Trek (unless anyone has better recommendations, I'm hoping to spend 7-8 days on this trip). It would be me and 1 or 2 of my friends, around late January/early February. Apart from the general logistics of arranging transportation and permits and campsites, could anybody give me an overview on what to expect? It would be my first time doing any backpacking/camping outside of the great lakes area, so I have little to no idea what to expect for water/weather/bugs and the like.

Also, my primary shelter is usually a hammock, so a recommendation for a suitable replacement for that would be nice, as I'd expect that I might occasionally have trouble finding good places to set up a hammock.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
So I'm gonna be making a trip to Zion National Park in mid-May and it'll be my first time really doing a trip like this solo and I have a few questions-

1. What'll be the best way to make sure all of my gear gets there safely? I'm hoping to take my bag as a carry-on but that means I won't be able to take along my trekking poles, tent poles, knife, etc... So what are my options here? The thing I've seen recommended the most is mailing them ahead of time and having it be held at the post office. What do you guys recommend? Also would mailing my sleeping bag be advisable if only to cut down on how much will be in my bag?

2. For anybody familiar with the area, what's the best way to get from St. George to the Kolob Canyon visitor center without paying out the rear end for a shuttle or renting a car? This is probably my biggest hurdle right now. I can hitchhike if necessary, but I'd really like to minimize any chance of unpredictability/stabbings on the way there.

3. Any tips for minimizing my chance of loving up and dying in the middle of the desert apart from usual common sense stuff? Almost all of my experience camping is centered around the Great Lakes/BWCA, so being somewhere where water is potentially scarce is gonna be a new experience for me.