Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Depending on the seriousness of your hike, they might be okay with a bit more pre-field research. For those places, I don't have anything. Though most popular places should have maps for sale on amazon or at a local store nearby.

I wasn't the original asker. Speaking of which...

I Am Not Spor posted:

Am I allowed to whore myself out to ask for a map here?

What kind of maps, exactly? It would be easier to answer if we had, like, a continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I haven't been to that region in almost twenty years, but my dream trips would probably be Wallowas/Eagle Cap in OR, Frank Church in ID, Wind River Range in WY.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Hopefully the southern half of the AT doesn't burn down before y'all start.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Depends what you mean by "mid Atlantic." Southern New York and New Jersey has the NYNJTC; their website has lots of day hike suggestions, but you can also buy some pretty good maps of the Catskills and the north Jersey hills and so on from them. Further south, I would imagine there are resources for hiking around DC and NoVA, but if you're in eastern PA, you're kinda out of luck. There are lots of trails, but the land is locked up as wildlife management areas, and there doesn't seem to be any effort at compiling trail info into any useful resource site.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Falcon Guides have been getting better over the years, though they're still more of an entry point to finding out what's around you. For longer outings especially, you gotta do a lot of supplementary research.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I used to watch this one dude's hiking videos on youtube until I got to one where he's in the Catskills and whining about how "New York took away my right to defend myself," and it dawned on me that he was packing a silly little handgun on all his other trips. Dude, if you're getting into gun battles in the woods, you might be the problem.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Hiking & Backpacking Megathread III: I was conceived not far from there.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Buy all the canoes for yourself out of your own pocket, then make a fleet of outriggers and conscript your friends into lake piracy. Do not spare the lash.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

What are some decent but kinda cheap hiking socks? None of that $25 a pair stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Hungryjack posted:

Costco Merino wool socks. 4 pairs for $12. Amazon has them too for nearly as cheap - https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Outdoor-Trail-Merino/dp/B074RM659R/

Cheap, comfortable, warm, lifetime warranty, and I've never worn a hole even in my oldest pair.

Thanks!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I've been thinking about how thru-hikes of the PCT might soon be a thing of the past, thanks to extreme weather events and megafires becoming the new norm. I don't think I personally will ever have the opportunity or the fitness to attempt it, but it was one of my dreams in my teens and early 20s, and the thought of how the trail keeps getting cut up by fires or blanketed in smoke every summer is heartbreaking.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

What's a good way to rid my boots of tick nymphs? Like an idiot, I went bushwhacking in the Long Island pine barrens on Thursday, and got back to the car with my leggings crusted over with the bastards. I washed my clothes just fine, but my boots are sitting outside, still swarming with them. Would tossing them into a washing machine destroy the boots (or the washing machine)? They're Moab Ventilators, a few years old.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe wrap them in a bag and throw them in the freezer? That's what I generally do with my shoes instead do washing them. Helps kill the bacteria that makes them smell. Maybe it will kill the ticks?

Cold doesn't kill ticks (or bacteria, for that matter). Google suggests I can just starve the ticks out by waiting a couple weeks.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Can't you just submerge the boots in water for a few days?

That could be a good idea. I might try it.

Officer Sandvich posted:

move somewhere else and enjoy some relatively tick-free hiking until global warming makes the entire continent one big tick nest

That's the plan, Officer.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

My partner and I are visiting the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and possibly northern France and far western Germany next summer. It's a long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations or resources for easy to moderate dayhikes in that region?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Jealous of your kid, I couldn't persuade my partner to do any fossil hunting.

Sever.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Not strictly relevant to that conversation and not at all a recommendation for Merrills, but boot preservation chat got me thinking about how my Merrills are literally falling apart after I spent the winter and spring slopping around in flood and mud. That’s my own fault for not taking better care of them (and for literally hiking shin deep through flooded trails). But then I did the numbers and found that I put pretty much an entire Appalachian Trail of mileage on them the last few years. That was a pretty neat thing to discover.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

As someone living in Ohio currently I would absolutely kill to be near Oregon mountains.

And the Hudson Highlands, for that matter.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Planning an overnight / shakedown hike in Zaleski state park in Southern Ohio this upcoming weekend.

It'll be the first time trying out some of my newer gear (finally replacing my 8 pound backpack and 9 pound tent!!)

It'll also be the first time I've been to Zaleski in almost 20 years, so I'm stoked about that too.

Anyone have an experience with or suggestions for good hikes around Ohio/Southern Michigan/Eastern Indiana/Upper kentucky or western West Virginia or western Pennsylvania? Anything within a few hours of central Ohio?

Dayhikes or backpacking trips? I know a ton of the former, not many of the latter.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Nothing has changed, really.
The North loop is very overgrown with a few washouts and blowdowns.
The South/East loop is only overgrown in parts, but with an equal number of blowdowns and almost no washouts.

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

I love Ohio’s natural spaces, the western edge of Appalachia smoothing out into the plains, the forests and meadows. It’s all so pretty, and so underrated. But I hate how thoroughly Ohio neglects its trails. State parks, state forests, state nature preserves, national forests—all of them are way more concerned with making sure pipelines and power lines stay clear than giving any footpaths even a touch of maintenance.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

What’s the best section of Wisconsin’s Ice Age Trail for a day hike (up to 10 miles) or an overnight (up to 20 miles)? Are there any options for trail shuttles, or places where side trails form nice loops? I live a long way away, in Ohio, but would love to add the IAT to my national scenic trail experience sometime next fall.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Waterproof boots are great when you've got to be in the mud, like when I was doing trail work. If I'm hiking though I'd rather just walk around the mud. I never understood why people just tromp right though those mud puddles that are easily avoided, unless they're just trying to get their money's worth.

Walking through the middle is what you’re supposed to do. Braiding the trail by going around just creates an even bigger mud pile and a worse eyesore, not to mention damaging the vegetation and expanding the human impact in general. This is basic Leave No Trace stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Nobody tell Trump about this new cure for COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I’m prone to heat exhaustion. Never actually worfed on a hike before, but scrambling up and down puddingstone ridges in northern New Jersey a few summers ago got me much closer to it than I wanted.