Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
H&B MT III: A Look which Transcended Inter-species Communication Barriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Here's something I'm curious about. When I was a young scout, I remember being counseled not to set up a tent under a tree "or you'll get rained on twice." Now, I seem to recall reading that it is better to set up under some degree of canopy. It's probably silly to ask if things have changed over the past 20 years, but where do you set up a tent these days?

On a related note, what are some old camping or backpacking rules-of-thumb that have been debunked over the last few decades?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I finally finished my slide-show with some footage of my hike in Waterton National Park right on the American border last July.

I have family that lives about 30 minutes from there. Amazingly beautiful and peaceful place. And it's true that Canada got the smaller, but more beautiful, half of Glacier Naional Park!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Saddamnit posted:

I'm heading on a hike of the Devil's Path in the Catskills in early March with some coworkers. We've done several winter hikes before, but I think this one will be a little colder. Seeing how my 20 degree sleeping bag wasn't quite warm enough on our last winter hike, I'm looking to get a sub 0 degree bag for this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm currently looking at the bags at REI (might as well try to build up my dividend if I'm buying some new gear) and the REI Expedition -20 bag looks pretty good: http://www.rei.com/product/801839/rei-expedition-20-sleeping-bag

Can anyone suggest other sub 0 bags I should be looking at?

Not sure just how low the temperatures will get where you're going, but you might not need a sub-zero bag if you're going to wear a base layer when you sleep.

For when there is a good chance I or my things are going to get wet, or that I will have to sleep wet/damp, I have a Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 0°. I prefer down, but the UL is comfortable and reliable. Here is a review of the 15° version. I think I paid about $160 for it, discounted. It’s heavy at 3.5 pounds, so I only take it when wetness is a real issue, but it is nice to have around.

Do note that the 0° rating is probably a little optimistic, though this has done well in temperatures below freezing.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Saddamnit posted:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Right now I'm leaning toward the Marmot Lithium (http://www.rei.com/product/762530/marmot-lithium-sleeping-bag), assuming they can get a long size in before my trip.

Now another question: anyone have any good sleeping pad recommendations? I have an REI one from a few years ago, but over the course of 5 or 6 hiking trips it has developed a lot of tiny holes at the foot end that leak air. I have no idea how those holes got there, but there are so many that it would be impossible to repair them all. Plus, if those holes developed so easily, I don't have high expectations that they won't develop again. So, needless to say, durability is one of my primary concerns. I also want something that works well for the cold, obviously. Anyone had any experience with the Big Agnes pads? I'm currently looking at this one: http://www.rei.com/product/775892/big-agnes-dual-core-mummy-sleeping-pad

Definitely return the REI pad if it's faulty. If you don't want another one of those, what is your price range? I love my Thermarest Neo Air XTherm, but it was pricey. Incredibly light, warm, strong and comfortable. My backup is a Z-Sol, which is amazing compared to the closed cell foam pads I used twenty years ago as a scout.

If you combine the two, you get just about the best cold-weather sleeping experience available.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Saddamnit posted:

My top price point would be around $175. Is the Neo Air the one with the crinkly material? If so, I'd be worried about waking up anyone I'm sharing a tent with.

It does crinkle a bit, but not as much as I expected before trying it. If you're worried about the noise, definitely try it out in a store before you buy. In my experience, it has been no louder than the ambient outdoor noise, but I might just not be sensitized to it as much as others are.

If you can find a discount, a Regular size would be within your budget.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Seconding and thirding this. If you have an interest in knots, this is the go-to guide. Online discussions and sites use it as the primary encyclopedic reference (ABOK #123 &c), and though it lacks modern photographic techniques with colored cord that might help with more complicated tying, the number of confusing items in the book due to that lack is rather small.

Oh, when I think of the sheer number of ABOKs that I've forgotten... :smith:

Wow, that's a . . . pricey book. List price for $85, Amazon price of $50. What makes it worth that kind of money (versus just using the internet, like http://www.animatedknots.com/ )?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm not fancy in the slightest. Trail mix with peanuts, raisins, almonds, cashews, and smarties, along with a cheesebun or pizzabun or bagel, and usually a fancy muffin or two. I'm also terrible and bring a coffee-based energy drink as a treat on the summit.

For the non-Canadians out there, these "Smarties" of which she speaks are like M&Ms, not the Smarties you would get in the States. In case you were wondering.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

MMD3 posted:

The type of jacket you should pick up first is really going to depend on what the bulk of your outdoor activity is going to consist of. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hiking in the rain then I wouldn't recommend a rain jacket as your first purchase.

Here's a really basic/quickly whipped together run-down of what types of jackets you'll want to have for outdoorsy stuff.

Fleece Jacket - insulating layer for wearing over a base layer (read short or long sleeve shirt). Fleece is great because it's lightweight, has good insulating properties, and is fairly breathable but it won't keep you dry.

Soft Shell - a cross between a fleece and a outer shell, personally I'd rate soft shells as the most versatile piece of outerwear if you could only buy one. They'll have some water repelling properties and some insulating properties and should be highly packable. Great for day hikes and as a piece to layer under or over other layers as you pick up other jackets. I wear my Arc'teryx soft shell over a base layer, or over a down sweater, or under a hardshell.

Hard Shell - the most water repellent layer, these are what are typically known as rain jackets, they'll keep you dry but the downside is they're less breathable than a fleece or soft shell and they won't have much insulating value.

Down Jacket - these can come in lots of weights, the patagonia-popularized down-sweater style is thin, super-lightweight, and highly packable, not your highschool North Face puffy coat. Lots of brands make down jackets in lots of fills, just don't get them wet because they lose insulating properties quickly if you do and take a while to dry out. Great for crisp/cool fall days or for putting on once you've set up camp and are hanging out in your tent or by the fire.

Hope this helps get you started, I'd probably suggest you look into a fleece or soft shell for your first jacket if you don't have those covered already.

Just to add, an alternative to a fleece jacket is a lightweight synthetic insulated jacket; I use the Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody, but plenty of makers have comparable models. These are warmer for their weight than fleece, many models cut the wind better, and they tend to compress better and so take up less space in a pack when not needed. I picked up my Nano Puff for use as some sort of emergency backup insulation piece in the event of wet weather, but it turned out to be the jacket I've used most this past winter. It is too thin to just hang around in if temps are near freezing, but for moving around (hiking, etc.) it is perfect. Now that I think about it, the only fleece I own is an R1 Hoody, and only because it is such a great piece. I've replaced the rest with insulated jackets, and have been very pleased.

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is great information, thank you! It sounds like a soft-shell is probably going to be my first pick-up then; I'm thinking about this: http://www.rei.com/product/844720/rei-carbon-river-jacket-mens

Luckily there's an REI right next to my work so I can go in on my lunch break and check everything out before making a final decision.

You're probably on the right track with a soft shell. My only advice would be to find something with a hood; if it's there, you might be surprised how welcome it can become. I simply don't buy jackets without hoods anymore. If you climb, etc., check to make sure it fits over (or under, but over is better) a helmet.

e: I didn't dig too much, but this looks like REI's hooded soft shell: http://www.rei.com/product/844350/rei-mccone-soft-shell-jacket-mens I have no idea about the fit/quality, but might be worth a look if you're in the store anyway.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 20, 2013

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Ehud posted:

Got it. I like my toenails, so I'll go ahead and sign up with REI's reward thing and head down there this week. Thanks!

Fit and buy the boots at REI. Since most daypacks aren't sized, feel free to inspect and try on the various packs they have there, then see if you can't find a better deal for what you want online. For larger packs with frames, an in-store fitting is a good idea.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

REI gets a lot of love here, and I like them and buy stuff from them on a regular basis, but for many, many items they are heavily overpriced. You're essentially purchasing insurance, which may or may not make sense, depending on the item. Remember that a number of online resellers, as well as manufacturers, make returns easy or guarantee their products, so it's worth shopping around to see what deals can be had.

Over the years, I've saved probably around 800-1000 dollars going with others instead if REI, and never have been unable to get an item returned or replaced when needed or desired. I like REI, I really do, but that's money in my pocket.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Chroisman posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for waterproof 8" tall hiking boots? I feel like I really need them as 8" tall for extra ankle movement restriction because I've got a bad ankle. I had a good pair of 8" tall boots before, but they weren't exactly purposed for hiking and now they're falling apart a little bit. Also they had vents so water would get in.

Are you looking for hiking boots or backpacking boots? If the latter, and if you would also consider a 9-inch boot, you might look at the Lowa Tibet GTX. I have the non-Gore-Tex version, and I love them. Ditto comments above about weight and needing to break them in, but the flip side is that these things are bombproof. Being handmade in Germany, they're not cheap. Lowa makes a wide version, too, which was a godsend.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Chroisman posted:

Yeah I was actually going for backpacking boots, thanks for pointing that out. What's the general consensus about commercial (e.g. Lowa, Asolo, Salomon etc.) vs military boots (Danner, Altama etc.)? Like if they all have Gore-Tex linings, Thinsulate, good shank/midsole and treads, would there be any particular reason to pick one over the other?

There is no harm in trying on a wide range of models. Fit is most important, so if you find something comfortable that meets your other requirements, you'll probably be fine. One thing I will say is that, in my experience interacting with the special operations forces in Iraq, units and individuals who had the option of using non-standard-issue footwear frequently did so. I'm sure there are some excellent military-approved boots out there, but in general it seems that the average civilian backpacker is a more demanding consumer than the military is.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Spongebob Tampax posted:

There are a bunch of different military approved boots outside the domain of issue. Even Oakley branded boots are a-ok, just cost a pretty nickel.

I will admit that the cheapest of cheap poo poo $50~ mil surplus boots are going to be a bad idea to start off in. But if you're used to and comfortable in mil boots, why not?

I agree, with the caveat that if someone is used to military boots because of years of service and not using anything else, it would be a good idea to try the best civilian stuff, as well. I used military issue boots for years before I found a civilian model that actually fit my foot, and it was like night and day. But I didn't know what I had been missing all those years.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Googled this up for you. http://trailquest.net/weather.html

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

REI is offering the Osprey Aether 70 next week for $205 (normally $280). Has anyone used this particular pack before? I have a Talon 22 and have really liked it. I've never purchased a multi-day pack--how many days would this be good for?

This is what I have for backpacking. I've been pleased with it, but I haven't pushed it on number of days covered; just haven't had the time lately. If fitted correctly, it is very comfortable, and I like the modest number of compartments. Biggest downside is that it is not a lightweight pack, so your load is already 4+ lbs before you add anything else. For trips of 2-3 days, and especially for mountaineering, etc., I have a 40L Mammut pack that weighs about half that, and I love it. But for longer trips, I like the sturdiness and reliability of the Osprey, plus the unbeatable product guarantee.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

So a 70L might be overkill for just a few days, I would be better off looking into around 40L if I'm doing ~3 days?

Do you just strap your tent on the bottom underneath the sleeping bag? I've only recently started hiking, so none of my packs have ever had some of the things that hiking packs do.

The Osprey cinches down well with its compression straps, so it wouldn't be overkill for shorter multi-day trips.

2-3 day trips on my 40L tend toward true bivouacs; sleeping bag, bivi sack, foam pad, maybe sleeping in all one's clothes if it's really cold. Sometimes a tarp. For more pleasant camping and general backpacking, I go with the Aether 70.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Canna Happy posted:

Run some thread through with a needle to let it drain. Afer that, leave it to dry up and form a callous.
I never tape anymore. Just thread to help the blister wick the moisture.

This sounds like it would invite infection.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have one more gear question.

REI has the Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket on sale for $299 ($475).

I tried one on and really liked it, and every reviewer has nothing but good things to say about it. I will absolutely spend the big money if it's a piece that I will end up keeping forever, but I'd still like a goonpinion before spending $300 on a rain jacket. I would be using this for basically everything, from hiking, backpacking, anything outdoorsy (fishing, etc), wearing to a sporting event, etc.

Is there anything I should know about upkeep or treatment of a jacket like this? Can you stuff it in a backpack or will that somehow damage it? How long are these expected to last? Anyone have one?

The salesman at REI told me it was his favorite jacket he owns, and it should be treated for re-waterproofing every 3 washes or so.

These are great jackets and I would buy one if I were in the market for one. I've been reminded lately how much use one can get out of a good hardshell. The Gore-tex Pro is great stuff. As another poster noted, your jacket will stay waterproof no matter what, but will breathe best with the reapplication of the DWR (durable water repellent) as needed (no need to do this out of the box).

You can stick this in a pack, etc., no problem. They respond well to washings, too, so it's a very durable item. Fit it to allow a mid layer underneath; as you know, that jacket has zero insulation, which makes it more versatile. In colder weather, I like to pair my shell with a Nano Puff Hoody, which is thin but warm.

This jacket should last you years; I just bought a new hardshell last year to replace one I'd used heavily since 1996.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

loving hell, you guys, hiking in Borneo is brutal. I'll get some pics up later.

Aren't you the one who somehow lacks the ability to regulate heat? That sounds like a nightmare in Borneo's climate.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Has anybody experimented with making their own food bars and keeping them on the trail? I've got to ship myself resupplies before I do the JMT and they could be out there 2 weeks to a month before I get them. I'd like to be able to cut some cost and packaging waste Obviously no perishable ingredients in them like dairy or anything I refrigerate, but they've got oil and water in them, I'm wondering if that would impact how this fares as compared to say trail mix (similar ingredients just less moisture). Would one advise toward 0 water content?

Check the last thread, where I believe one goon posted their homemade trail bars.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Chroisman posted:

For snow shoes and crampons, do they usually just strap onto any boot across the board, or do you have to have boots that are more so catered towards putting crampons and snow shoes on? I'm not likely to do anything like that in the immediate future but I was just wondering.

For crampons, look for models featuring straps at both the toe and the heel if you need them to fit on a wide range of boots. Also, the rigidity of both the boot and the crampons is a factor that needs to be correlated. And bigger boots might require a longer connector than the stock version. Just bring your boots with you when you go to try on crampons, and try to find a knowledgeable salesperson to help.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Sorry or lack of photos, guys, but internet is pretty sporadic here. I've also been busy as all hell with this field school. I'm just finishing in Bali now after 3 weeks of work, and wrote my finals this morning. We hiked up Mt. Batur to watch the sunrise yesterday. I managed to upload a whopping two photos from that so far:

Something really interesting happened here. I learned to sweat. And boy, did I ever loving sweat. I was pouring buckets constantly. I got so much sunscreen, bug spray, and salt in my eyes that half the time I was finding it hard to see where I was going.

Except on Mt. Batur. It was cold enough to see your breath, lots of people were bundled up, and I went right back to not sweating, red faced, horribly overheating. I just about stripped down to my bikini top and shorts on the ascent, and it was pretty cold. I think my body gets confused in cooler climates and refuses to regulate heat. I've been doing pretty okay here for the most part, because the humidity and heat is a different kind of overheating discomfort. It feels more normal.

Stunning pictures. The night sky in the first one must have been amazing in order to show up so well in a photograph!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Menschsein posted:

I need some hivemind help, goons. I haven't trawled the thread for analogous problems, apologies if this was recently discussed.

I have an amazing Osprey Crescent 85 backpack, I've used it every week for five years, but now one aluminium side rod has snapped in half, making the backpack unusable. The thing is, I'm in Europe, land of not-so-amazing-service-guarantees, and the UK Osprey customer service claims they don't have replacement rods, as it's an old (2007?) model. I tried asking them for rods from the Argon series, that replaced the Crescent series, but no go.

What the hell do I do? I'm not throwing the whole bacpack away because of one missing part.

Um, send it back to Osprey and let them either repair it or give you something better? I would try the US headquarters if the European one doesn't give you the right answer.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

Went on an overnight backpack this weekend on the AT, just a short section headed north outside of the Shenendoahs.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Sea-to-Summit E-vent Drybag; great little piece of equipment! (I pack one with my down quilt and/or jacket, and another, larger one for the rest of my clothes. Works wonderfully.)

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Chroisman posted:

Have you found any issues with the durability of the dry bags? I was looking at getting the E-vent compression bags but some people said they tear easily.

No problems yet, with moderate use. I'm pretty easy on mine, but they seem tough enough.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

How do you like using a quilt? After looking around at sleeping bags and finding the good ones around 20 degrees and below run nearly $400, I found Enlightened Equipment, where I could get a 10 degree quilt, 850 fill and about 1.7 lbs (under 1.5 for a 20 degree), for like $235. I'm reallllllly tempted but have to convince my wife because she has it in her head that she wants us to be able to join sleeping bags together in case it gets really cold. I find I've never had to do that but I guess she had to do it a couple of times with her brother on the start of the AT.

But man, that's a good price for a lightweight sleeping arrangement and I tend to be a person who switches positions at night a lot and I sleep on my side a fair amount, and they're supposed to be good for that

Just in the last year or so I started using a quilt, and I've been (literally) a very happy camper. It sounds like you and I have very similar sleep patterns; the added freedom and flexibility of the quilt accommodates movement and side sleeping well. I have a 20 degree Relevation X from Enlightened Equipment, which is just as light as you described. The build and down quality is absolutely first rate, and I still haven't noticed the imperfections supposedly present in the fabric (the X models use cosmetic seconds for the shells). Tim, the owner, has a well-deserved reputation for putting customer service first (he personally confirmed my order via email) and his quilts are built in the homes of him and his neighbors in Winona, Minnesota, making it a true cottage industry. You could say I'm a satisfied customer.

The key to quilt sleeping is to have a sleeping pad you don't mind sleeping directly upon. Some people don't like the feel of the pad on their body, face, etc. I have no complaints. Mine is a 3-season quilt; I wouldn't want to use one winter camping, where one can benefit from the more closed system of a traditional bag. But any other time of the year, it's great. It packs super light and small, and although I'm hardly an ultra lighter, I still appreciate it. Overall, I'm glad I made the switch from bag to quilt. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

About how low a temp are you comfortable in with it? I don't do winter camping either, but late summer/early fall in high mountains can get below freezing and into the 20's. just wondering if I did get one, what rating I'd go for. And yeah I've read great things about the owner, seems like a cool guy

If it were up to me I'd get one for sure but this turns out to be one of the quirks of being married...

Haven't used it below freezing yet, but I would probably try it down to 20 or so, and just wear more clothes if I felt cold. Keep in mind that quilts don't have hoods, so you would need a warm hat or balaclava, depending on the temperature. I'm a warm sleeper, though, so my problem almost always is the opposite, and the ability to just sleep under the quilt as a . . . quilt is really nice.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Levitate posted:

Awesome, thanks. One last question...what width did you get and how does that work? I'm a pretty thin 6' 170, but with pretty wide shoulders for my size, but I kind of doubt I'd need a wide size.

everyone else, sorry for the gearchat, just a little excited to find someone with direct experience with a product I'm interested in

I think mine's a wide (can wrap around me with room to spare), but if you decide you're going to get one and you have questions about the sizing, just email Tim or post on the company's Facebook page. He fields questions like that all the time, and knows his quilts literally inside and out!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I take it the opinion on bear cans is pretty strong, but the rangers in Yellowstone told me they don't believe in bear cans at all and say to always hang your pack. There's no consensus on this at all, right?

I think they might have been trolling you.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TerminalSaint posted:

Going back to this, I can't imagine rangers would troll someone with bear safety related information. We joke around with amiable park guests, but the only time we might ever give information that wasn't strictly accurate would be erring on the side of caution.

For example: when a carload of 20 year old college guys pull in 3 hours before sunset with no lights and a 20oz bottle of water and ask me for the hardest trail up the mountain. I direct them up the main trail, telling them how tough it is. To be fair it is tough, but in a stairmaster way rather than the scramble-up-sheer-ledge way they're hoping for.

Well, I wasn't actually being serious, if that helps.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Whelp, my best-laid plans to cut out after work for a three-day backpacking trip have fallen victim to Japan's "rainy season."

Plenty of trail food in the house, though.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

If it's going to be that hot, why don't you just go to the beach instead? Or even hit the mountains where it should be cooler?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

What is it with the graph-paper motif of all the UL stuff? It looks like pants I had in the 80s. Or contact paper from my mom's pantry. Does the fabric only come in one style? Or is it visual branding so that everyone knows it's ultra light?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

i_heart_ponies posted:

The ULA Circuit is made with a Dyneema (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) reinforced nylon ripstop fabric. Dyneema is so dense that it can not absorb dye which gives it the "graph-paper motif". Because it is 15 times stronger than steel by weight it allows you to use a much lighter nylon base fabric without compromising strength, which is why you see it on ultralight stuff all the time. Comes in all kinds of colors, but the Dyneema will always be white.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense! So I guess "total white" is the way to go to avoid looking like something out of Tron, eh? (Also explains why my Dyneema runners are almost all white with some color highlights.)

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I'm new to hiking and camping and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books that are like, "Camping and hiking for dummies!" that they might recommend?

I've always been a fan of Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

The more I think a out it the more I think a WFA or WFR class would be good. My wife has t had any training, but he k laws everything :), and most of today's first aid is geared towards - an ambulance or medivac is on the way.

Any suggestions for the Denver eastern colorado area?

A refresher never hurts, but if you've had military first aid training you'll be fine. If you're doing anything remotely technical, developing self-rescue competence should be a priority. But combat lifesaver training essentially is wilderness first aid + people shooting at you.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

d3k0y posted:

The tent is my biggest weigh down (~8 pounds) but I can't find an smaller tent that I can afford since most tents under 4-person start getting into ultra-lights.

Are you backpacking on your own? Or with others? If it's just you, you might consider saving up for a lightweight, two-person tent. Not sure how tight your money situation is, but if I were in the market, I would probably go for a Tarptent Double Rainbow. 2.5 pounds, 275 dollars.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Smoove J, for glacier walking or iced-over trails, strap-on crampons will work just fine with just about any boots. If the soles of your boots are flexible, like the Garmont Zeniths, you should look into also buying a flex bar for your crampons. These take the strain off the center connecting bar and allow the crampon to better move with more flexible boots.

My recommendation would be to make sure you get steel crampons (I'm partial to chromoly, but stainless looks prettier; they both perform similarly, though there have been some issues with the BD stainless Sabretooth breaking on vertical ice, which it sounds like you don't plan to do anyway) instead of aluminum, for durability. Both models you linked to will give you years of hard use, even on mixed terrain. I have a pair of G12s (New Classic strap binding) that are real workhorses. No complaints. For your intended use, stick with horizontal front points like the models you linked; vertical points are for technical ice and mixed climbing, and will not give you as much surface area on neve. Also, most crampons these days come with anti-bot plates (plastic snow-resistant plates on the bottoms) to prevent snow build-up, but double check to see this important safety feature is included.

If you're thinking you might buy proper mountaineering boots, that changes the equation on bindings (you'd likely be better off with a heel bail, with either front basket or front bail). But like JAY ZERO SUM GAME said, hiking in mountaineering boots is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Ingenium posted:

So I am looking to start picking up some gear for camping and backpacking and was wondering about this threads opinions on these tents and sleeping bag. Any of you use these and can let me know about them?

http://www.rei.com/product/828301/marmot-trestles-0-sleeping-bag

http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent#video-inner
http://www.rei.com/product/845478/rei-half-dome-2-tent

What kind of use do you plan to get out of them? Primarily car camping? How far do you plan to backpack? Where or what climate? What is your budget?

An excellent resource for learning about and choosing outdoor gear is http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/ . The tents you have linked would work fine for car camping or for short hikes, but are on the heavy side if you plan to backpack far or if there's a chance you won't be ble to split the load with someone else (such as if you decide to do some solo backpacking). Not a deal breaker, but if your budget is flexible you can shed considerable weight and save space in the pack.

Same with the sleeping bag. Unless you anticipate multi-day trips in truly wet/damp conditions, down will always be better than synthetic. Way lighter, more compressible. But if you can tell us more about your plans, goals and price range, we should be able to make some recommendations.