Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So I've gotten a really stupid inclination to thru-hike the AT this year. I've never really had an adventure, and I love (day)hiking and walking in general. In April or May I'll be closing down the family jewelry store and have a transitional opportunity I may never have again: no debt, low bills, no job, no kids. I'm in my early thirties and have no real medical issues. I don't know that I'll ever be able to be selfish for 5-6 months like this again.

I plan on doing a lightweight pack (probably around 11lbs without food or water) and hammock as much of the AT as possible. Right now my main decisions are regarding luxury items (the firstest of world problems). I'm considering taking a combination of the following:

HTC 4G Android Phone (7 ounces) + charger (2 ounces)
Kindle Paperwhite (7 ounces) + charger (as above) + neoprene sleeve (2.5 ounces)
Point and Shoot camera (4-10 ounces?) + charger (might be same as above)
Solar charger (5 ounces) (would be compatible with possible all three devices, and negate the need of their chargers)

The phone is the most versatile of the devices, but aside from letting me check in with folks back home, it doesn't perform the other tasks too well. I can read on it and use it to take pictures, but these are mediocre experiences. Reading would drain the battery very quickly. Using it for photos would require turning it on first, and I might miss some awesome salamander that scurried under a branch before I could get the photo. I could replace this with a phone card, though I don't know how common public phones are in the towns along the trail. I don't see many working payphones in Chicago nowadays.

The Kindle is regarded as a great reading experience with a very long battery life. I could replace it with actual books, but if I want to read at night I'm better off with the Kindle. I don't know how bored I'll be or how motivated I will be to read on the trail, but I figure I can always mail it home if it's weighing me down.

I don't own a lightweight rugged point and shoot, so I'd love any recommendations if people have them. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix AW100 and that had some neat features (kinda rugged exterior and some GPS functionality). That clocked in around 6 ounces and if I can charge it with just a USB connection, all the better.

Finally, the solar charger might be me taking this too far. I understand it would probably take several days of canopy-filtering sunlight to charge any of the above devices, and right now I'm ok with that. I just want to minimize the excuses for staying in hotels and hostels if I can. If I need a day off, I'll take it, but I don't want it to happen because I feel beholden to keep a camera charged or something like that.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Elijya posted:

My hammock screen top tore last summer when I flipped in it. Not sure if I can get the company to repair it before I take off or to just use one without a screen.

Who made the hammock?

quote:

How many SA posters will be out there this year?

I'll be, but not until mid April at the earliest. The only major thing I have left to decide on is the pack, but I'm waiting to get my hammock kit from Warbonnet first.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Akion posted:

Welp! Today is the day. I leave for Springer in about 6 hours.

Sunny, 50's-70's for my first few days. This is gonne be good!

Nice. I'll be about 5 weeks behind ya.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Elijya posted:

Started at Amicola last week. Resting out some rain in Neel's Gap as I type. This past week has been an incredible time and has made me more confident about getting to Katahdin.

Got a blog or trailjournal?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Akion posted:

Checking in to say that hiking the AT is the best decision I have ever made. Spent the morning watching the sun come up at Fontana Dam. Headed into the GSMNP today.

Heads up in the area around Hot Springs:

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/outdoors/2013/04/09/stomach-virus-hits-appalachian-trail-hikers-near-hot-springs/

quote:

“A number of hikers have been sickened by a severe, 24-hour stomach virus that is being passed between hikers. Shelters to avoid include No Business Knob, Big Bald and Hogback Ridge. A section of the Appalachian Trail runs through the Appalachian Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, to the north and south of Hot Springs.”

The thru-hikers have been blessed by Father Nurgle it seems. I'm flying out to Springer in 19 days. Can't loving wait.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

The reason I ask, is because I currently live in tropical Australia and even when I would hike where it would get "reasonably cold" (barely below freezing) I could always seem to get away with a merino undershirt and a softshell at night. I'm not sure in the climate I can expect on the AT though.

Thanks for the help.

Just keep in mind that even if you get weather forecast information, it's probably for towns and not for mountains. I would just bring extra clothes and if you don't need them after 100 miles, send them back. Or keep them and feel more confident with your ability to deal with harsh weather. Reading some of the trail journals for the folks already out there, a lot are dropping out because of the weather.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I hope Elijya and Akion are ok. Looks like lots of AT hikers are very sick in the stretch between GSMNP and VA. I hope the rangers look the other way when it comes to enforcing the mandatory shelter stays. :/

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Akion posted:

Thru-Hike progress: Laid up in Hot Springs, NC for a few days with a Sprained foot. Fortunately there is a ready supply of ice at the bar...

Any sign of this stomach virus that's going around, or is it just keyboard hikers getting bent out of shape for nothing?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Headed to the AT tomorrow. If you want to vicariously eat ramen and check for ticks, follow along at gizmohike.wordpress.com.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Verman posted:

Anyone in here have experience with gravity filters?

I don't feel like pumping and I'm tired of boiling/chlorine tabs. I really like Platypus products, the bags are simple and pretty bomb proof let alone usually cheaper than the alternatives.

I was considering just buying the standalone filter and an extra bladder for dirty water which would only be about $60 versus the $120 they charge for a 2 bladder system with the filter. That would give me 2 - 100 oz. bladders, one for dirty water and the other for clean and allow me to fill the dirty bag and walk away from it.

Have you considered the Sawyer Squeeze Filter? It's a great little product and only weighs 3 ounces. It attaches to commonly available soda bottles and just takes some gentle constant pressure to get a good flow of 0.1 micron filtered water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Off to Atlanta in the morning and hitting the Appalachian Trail on Thursday with a buddy. We will probably do 2-3 weeks if everything goes well. It'll be a rainy mess but it should be a good time. Hope you all are going to be able to get out this summer.