Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

bou posted:

Hi there!

First time poster and Backpacking-Rookie from Germany checking in

As stated, i am not that knowledgeable (yet), but could maybe provide some basic information about touring the Alps i guess.

/e: typo1

If you know of any decent hikes in the Alps or anything that would be awesome. I'm well aware there's tons to do. I live in northern Bavaria / Oberpfalz region and we have a few places around where I'm at to go, such as Naturpark Steinwald, but I'm really looking for some good mountain trails or whatever. I'm an American living in Germany for another year or two so I figure I should get out and see what I can.

Most recently I got out and around the San Tan Mountain regional park while I'm on vacation in Arizona. Its a really small park with only 22 miles of trails in the souther Phoenix metro area and the mountains are only 2500' high, but it had some pretty awesome views and I got a decent 7 mile run/hike in.

In a few days I'll be up in Kingman AZ and will be climbing Hualapai Mountain Peak, which starts in the high-desert at about 4000 feet with desert scrub and cactus. The peak caps off at about 8200' feet in a Ponderosa/Aspen forest, and you go through like 3 biomes climbing it. I haven't done it since I was a teenager and I really can't wait to climb it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Went to hike the Hualapai Mountains near Kingman, AZ this morning. Unfortunately I didn't have a pair of Yaktrax or Microspikes since I didn't plan on having time to go hiking on this trip. There was some awesome views but the trail was too icy for me to be comfortable continuing up once I got up to the 7000ft mark. Walking on solid ice with some pretty nasty drops nearby. The peak I was going for was at 8250.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Joe Videogames posted:

I don't think I'll be able to find any hiking buddies and I'm worried about getting turned around in a trail area and dying from exposure. If I'm not going off to blaze a new trail in the deep woods, do I still run a chance of getting totally lost?

Maybe I don't want to go backpacking/camping as much as I'd like to hike around an established trail. Is that still considered good outdoorsy fun?

Depending on where you are in Germany I'd be down for hiking. I'm in Bavaria. There's some decent trails near Berchtesgaden I've heard. One everyone says to check out is the Rinnkendlsteig that goes up and over the Königssee. I'm looking at hitting it up here once the weather gets a bit better.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Joe Videogames posted:

I'm way out in the Rhineland :(

Something worth checking out is googling around and seeing if you have any sizeable Naturparks in your area. Near Stuttgart is Naturpark Schönbuch, which is supposedly decent. Hell, one thing about Germany is you can go to almost any forest and find small roads or trails in them, and all you need to do is drive south a little while and you run into the Alps. It's a fantastic area for hiking.